Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Tipping check vs cash

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 10:15 pm
Last year I gave all my kids morahs small checks along with MM as a small token of appreciation.

2 of the morahs deposited them the next day. the others didn't cash them until a good few months later. I'm not kidding. a few did it sometime in May, and the rest deposited them in middle of the summer!! I didn't know what to think!

This year I really don't want this to happen again!
I do feel like its so much more respectful to give a teacher a check, rather then say I want to give $36, so I gave them a stack of change with a $20, $10, $5, and $1 bills? just feels so much less bkavodik. But its not normal for them to take over 4 months to deposit a $20 check!!!

what do you think is best?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 10:17 pm
Actually I prefer to give cash in case teachers feel uncomfortable cashing the checks.

zaq

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 10:27 pm
If you're handing the money to them directly, cash is fine. A check is no more bekovodik than cash, and in fact cash is usually more convenient for the recipients, but do be a sweetie and give them bills in good condition, not raggedy ones that have been around the block a few times too many.

If you're relying on a young child to deliver the goods, cash is not advisable.

Why people delay depositing checks is a bit of a mystery, but here are a few possible reasons:
1. Their bank charges for transactions, so they wait to have a stack of checks in one transaction.

2. They don't have a bank branch nearby and have to drive some distance to get to one. As above, they wait until they have enough checks to make the trip worth the time and the gas.

3. They're forgetful and they tend to forget where they leave checks.

4. They intend to deposit the check into a special account, but they haven't gotten around to opening said account.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 10:32 pm
And that’s the reason I stopped giving checks. We were barely making it and when a teacher cashed a check months later it really threw us off. I take out the cash from the bank and put it with a nice note. You could also do a gift card.

zaq

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 10:34 pm
And one more that I doubt is the case, but might be: They don't have a bank account and have to get someone else to cash the check for them. Many years ago I had a coworker who did not have a bank account. Her parents didn't trust banks, so every payday she would go to the bank in the building where we worked and cash her paycheck. Mind you, she was American-born and college -educated, so her distrust of banks was a bit odd. FDIC had been around for a long time and she was in no danger of losing her money in a bank failure. Eventually she saw the light and opened a checking account, but it took a while.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:07 pm
If you feel that $36 involves too many bills maybe round up the amount to $40 or $35

amother
Almond

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:32 pm
I like to give a check to the rebbeim to make sure it was received. When my kids were in preschool, I gave cash in person.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics