Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
2nd seder meal
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 9:46 am
Because shulchan orech is so late and we are stuffed by then with matzah,etc., I generally only serve chicken soup with bite -sized pieces of soup Chicken, veggies and egg noodles, plus cookies and compote. But this year we are having guests 2nd seder for whom I feel like a real "main course" is necessary.

Can you all give me ideas for your best liquidy seder main dishes? Nothing complicated please, my 1st days are going to be hard enough.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 9:50 am
I make a Flanken soup the same way I would make chicken soup and first I serve the chicken soup, veggies and "lukshen" and then the main course is flanken and potato kugel with Cucumber salad, Beet salad...

amother
Caramel

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 9:55 am
amother Coral wrote:
I make a Flanken soup the same way I would make chicken soup and first I serve the chicken soup, veggies and "lukshen" and then the main course is flanken and potato kugel with Cucumber salad, Beet salad...

You serve chicken soup and then flanken soup?

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 9:56 am
Personally, I don’t know how people aren’t starving by the time you get to shulchan orech. Between the time and the matza, I am starving!!! (Maybe that is why I keep needing to buy bigger clothes)

amother
Opal

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 10:09 am
amother OP wrote:
Because shulchan orech is so late and we are stuffed by then with matzah,etc., I generally only serve chicken soup with bite -sized pieces of soup Chicken, veggies and egg noodles, plus cookies and compote. But this year we are having guests 2nd seder for whom I feel like a real "main course" is necessary.

Can you all give me ideas for your best liquidy seder main dishes? Nothing complicated please, my 1st days are going to be hard enough.

We're all starving by the time it's shulchan aruch. We have a regular full course meal with fish, soup, main & sides.
I would serve a regular meal for guests. Not everyone likes Matzah or fills up on matzah. You don't want guests to leave hungry.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 10:10 am
amother Caramel wrote:

I think she meant she makes a flanken soup and gets two courses out of it. Serve the soup. You can serve the vegetables that cooked in it, carrots, zucchini, parsnip, etc. and might want to add Pesach noodles or kneidels. For the main course serve the flanken or meat from the soup. Serve potato kugel next to the flanken and add whatever salads you make on Pesach, beet, or make a root vegetable mash.
I made the mistake one year of thinking it was late at night and after the matza and maror no one would be hungry. Some people are very hungry. If you’re having guests it’s good you’re making sure you have something to serve them.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 10:37 am
amother Coral wrote:

This is perfect
I think I’ll copy

You can go straight to the main and keep the soup for a different meal

Remember there’s more matza after the main

amother
Chambray

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 10:43 am
There's a recipe on between carpools called seder night flanken. I made it last year and have made it during the year also, and its really good. Everybody liked it.

I've also done meatballs, but as they get older some of my kids don't like tomato sauce so I try other things...

I've also done chicken blintzes using the chicken from the chicken soup. I served it with a mushroom sauce or an onion sauce. But its very time consuming to make, so I don't always get to it.

I actually liked doing appetizers and side dishes like blintzes or meatballs instead of a full meat course, but it seems like people like their meat around here!

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 12:54 pm
Hot corned beef warmed in it's cooking liquid.
Poached chicken with walnut pesto.
Anything from a sous vide that you don't need to sear.
Slow cooked overnight oven roast beef or flanken or lamb on the bone (sometimes I do this for 1st seder).

L K

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 1:03 pm
Always making first and second Seder the same.

Boiled eggs
Salmon boiled with spices
Fresh salad

Heavy chicken soup with large chunks of chicken, for men half a quarter or a quarter worth of chicken in the bowl.

Some simple baked dessert like macaroons, biscotti or pesach cake if you wish.

With that plus matzo, korech, drinks and afikoman afterwards even men are full.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 1:27 pm
amother OP wrote:

My Seder meal, for both meals:

Eggs
Fish
Soup
Potatoes
Club steak cooked in the stove with vegetables.

lamplighter

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 1:35 pm
Same for both seders:
Eggs (minhag)
Chicken soup with veggies
Braised meat
Mashed potatoes
Roasted carrots and parsnips
Compote

amother
Coral

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 8:01 pm
amother Caramel wrote:

No first I serve chicken soup for eating as soup. Then by the ain't I used the flanken that was boiled cuz we only eat cooked meat. I serve that with kugel, salads and I forgot to mention Compote

mom923

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 8:48 pm
We generally do meatballs and mashed potatoes

erm

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 9:20 pm
I usually fry shnitzel coated with panko crumbs

amother
Petunia

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 10:26 pm
I make a special dish we call Seder food for each Seder. I use soup type veggies (onion, garlic, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, zucchini, parsnip, turnip). Cut them up and put them in my large fry pan, put chicken (on the bone) on top, season with salt, pepper, paprika, a bit of brown sugar and a sprinkle of (home squeezed) orange juice. Cover tightly and cook (simmer) while we start the Seder (I usually check on it & turn the flame up/down as needed. Comes out sooo yummy! And it’s everything in one pot!

amother
Opal

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 10:39 pm
amother Petunia wrote:
Cut them up and put them in my large fry pan, put chicken (on the bone) on top, season with salt, pepper, paprika, a bit of brown sugar and a sprinkle of (home squeezed) orange juice. Cover tightly and cook (simmer) while we start the Seder (I usually check on it & turn the flame up/down as needed. Comes out sooo yummy! And it’s everything in one pot!

I don't think you're allowed to turn a flame down on yom tov.

Ema of 5

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 10:45 pm
amother Opal wrote:

I believe you can on a gas stove, if the food is going to burn.

amother
Petunia

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 10:47 pm
amother Opal wrote:

You are allowed to turn it down so as not to burn food. You can’t turn it off.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 10:51 pm
I just add salad. (Because we don’t eat romaine until second shulchan orech)

Eggs, Soup, protein (fish or chicken or meat).

We try to be strict on shiurim for matzah, maror, korech , so we are usually pretty full by shulchan orech and still have afikomen….
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics