Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Today is the big day!! TOILET TRAINING

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 11:06 am
all tips welcome!
She keeps going to the bathroom every few minutes and just wants to sit for a while... Nothing yet. We're calm and I'm giving her drinks. I really want her to make at least one time before the school bus arrives with big sister, but I know that may or may not happen and it may happen in the toilet or on the floor....
Any suggestions of what makes the process easier, how to help her understand the concept, etc...

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 11:11 am
hey im thinking of starting when he comes home from school
how do I even start??? I dont remember what I did last time

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 11:15 am
amother Bisque wrote:
hey im thinking of starting when he comes home from school
how do I even start??? I dont remember what I did last time

Did you discuss it with his teacher? You want to make sure that nobody else is training this weekend so the teacher can be fully on board and give your child individual attention...
I don't know why I don't either remember what I did last time...

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 11:16 am
amother OP wrote:
Did you discuss it with his teacher? You want to make sure that nobody else is training this weekend so the teacher can be fully on board and give your child individual attention...

I want to start today when he comes home and and hes with me for the next 2 days
you think by monday he can be trained?

what do I do just remove his pamper and show him the small toilet?

amother
DarkOrange

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 11:16 am
Same here!! Starting iyh when he comes home.
First timer would also appreciate any tips
Good luck to you!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 11:27 am
accident #1 and #2... She couldn't care less Confused

amother
Molasses

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 11:30 am
How old is she? Not worth the power struggle. I got advice on here about that. Decided to leave it alone and now the it's much easier

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 1:18 pm
It's normal to have accidents on first day!!!
Do not get upset. Show her the toilets and remind her that she's getting a prize for making in it!!
Have nosh ready and show it to her so she can be motivated.
Give her tons to drink, fun drinks like drink boxes, grapejuice and stuff she usually doesn't get. Popsicles are great too.
The point is that she'll need the bathroom often and get to practice!
As soon as she make in toilet even a few drops make a huge excited show about it. Tell the whole family and give a treat.

Finally, if it takes more than 2-3 days she's probably not ready yet, push it off for a few weeks.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 1:21 pm
amother Molasses wrote:
How old is she? Not worth the power struggle. I got advice on here about that. Decided to leave it alone and now the it's much easier

She's turning 3.

amother
Bronze

In my experience and reading A LOT of toilet training tales, the magic switch only happens after the child has (usually accidentally) made in the toilet.

Before that, they really just don't get it. I don't know if it's even fair to call it an accident. They're just doing what they always do, make where and when they are comfortable.

amother
OP

amother Gray wrote:
It's normal to have accidents on first day!!!
Do not get upset. Show her the toilets and remind her that she's getting a prize for making in it!!
Have nosh ready and show it to her so she can be motivated.
Give her tons to drink, fun drinks like drink boxes, grapejuice and stuff she usually doesn't get. Popsicles are great too.
The point is that she'll need the bathroom often and get to practice!
As soon as she make in toilet even a few drops make a huge excited show about it. Tell the whole family and give a treat.

Finally, if it takes more than 2-3 days she's probably not ready yet, push it off for a few weeks.

Thank you

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 1:24 pm
amother Bronze wrote:
In my experience and reading A LOT of toilet training tales, the magic switch only happens after the child has (usually accidentally) made in the toilet.

Before that, they really just don't get it. I don't know if it's even fair to call it an accident. They're just doing what they always do, make where and when they are comfortable.

that makes sense

amother
Impatiens

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 1:32 pm
amother Bisque wrote:
I want to start today when he comes home and and hes with me for the next 2 days
you think by monday he can be trained?

what do I do just remove his pamper and show him the small toilet?

Only if the child is fully ready to be trained, otherwise it’s not fair to the kid or teacher and will just be undone.
Talking from personal experience as a teacher.

amother
Geranium

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 2:15 pm
I just stated today. She’s just 3. We were waiting for her to be ready and today she decided she is.

She went twice bh. Let’s see…
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics