Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Security camera/eye
1  2  Next

If you have a security camera
We asked a rav and were told to turn it off  
 14%  [ 7 ]
We asked a rav and were told there’s no issue with leaving it on  
 24%  [ 12 ]
We didn’t ask and keep it on  
 46%  [ 23 ]
We didn’t ask and turn it off  
 10%  [ 5 ]
Other  
 6%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 50

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 9:59 pm
If you have one in your house, do you turn it off for Shabbos?
If you feel comfortable sharing, please post which rav you asked.
Thanks

amother
Iris

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 11:12 pm
Don’t have but wondering what’s the problem? Why would it be any different than walking past a house or store that has cameras up ? You’re not actually doing anything by walking there. it’s not like a light with a sensor

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 3:14 am
Thanks to all that voted. Does anyone care to share which rav they asked? If you want to pm, I can post an email address

amother
Marigold

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 3:19 am
We were told to remove the battery for Shabbos. I was annoyed because we can just turn off the Ring alerts and now we have no footage over Shabbos but DH takes it out because that’s the psak we got.

I can send you the name of the rav if you post an email address.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 3:21 am
I voted other. I have the same concerns as you so I bought something from temu that only is activated if someone rings the bell.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 3:27 am
amother Marigold wrote:
We were told to remove the battery for Shabbos. I was annoyed because we can just turn off the Ring alerts and now we have no footage over Shabbos but DH takes it out because that’s the psak we got.

I can send you the name of the rav if you post an email address.

Thanks. You can email me at imamother360@gmail.com

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 3:28 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks. You can email me at imamother360@gmail.com

So interesting that it works with a battery. I don’t think mine works with one. It works with electricity unless I’m naive

amother
Marigold

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 3:54 am
amother OP wrote:
So interesting that it works with a battery. I don’t think mine works with one. It works with electricity unless I’m naive

We bought the battery one on purpose, so that it can be removed for Shabbos. I’ll set up an email account tomorrow I”H and respond with the name of the rav.

Sorry I didn’t have time to open a new email. We asked Rabbi Yosef Fund in Lakewood. He has the same battery-operated Ring camera for this reason.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 4:12 am
amother Marigold wrote:
We bought the battery one on purpose, so that it can be removed for Shabbos. I’ll set up an email account tomorrow I”H and respond with the name of the rav.

Thanks, I appreciate it

teachkids

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 6:06 am
We can adjust the timing on ours so we have it on only midnight to 6am when we won’t trigger it

amother
Birch

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 12:12 pm
You need to ask a rav who actually understands how the cameras work.
Our rav, who has a very clear understanding of technology does not allow the use of ring etc over Shabbos.our private homes are BH not really a place of tremendous Sakanah which would warrant keeping it on (it is like the difference between actual pikuach nefesh and potential pikuach nefesh).

amother
Hydrangea

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 12:52 pm
Had this come up recently because we wanted to install a camera to keep an eye on my grandfather, who has dementia, and his aides. We were told that it has to be off for shabbos and YT. My cousin asked. Not sure who, but they’re Belze, if that helps.

amother
RosePink

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 12:55 pm
amother Pink wrote:
I voted other. I have the same concerns as you so I bought something from temu that only is activated if someone rings the bell.

Not the point I know but I wouldn’t buy a security item from temu

amother
Diamond

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 12:56 pm
I automated mine to all turn off on their own 35 minutes before sunset every Friday. It's the coolest thing.

I didn't ask, I don't really need it on Shabbos when I'm home.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 1:01 pm
amother Diamond wrote:
I automated mine to all turn off on their own 35 minutes before sunset every Friday. It's the coolest thing.

I didn't ask, I don't really need it on Shabbos when I'm home.

All ring doorbells have that feature?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 1:17 pm
Thanks for all your replies.
To those of you who asked and were told there’s no issue leaving it on, was there a specific circumstance which you think led to the rav saying it can stay on?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 1:19 pm
I think there’s some confusion here. There’s a security camera which records footage 24 hrs.
And then there’s a bell with a camera which I think only records/turns on when someone rings the bell. I’m referring the the camera which records 24 hours

amother
DarkPurple

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 7:28 pm
I live in Baltimore and my understanding (don't quote me) that the aguda has their surveillance running 24/7. According to my rav, anything motion sensor has to be off for shabbos. Anything that indicated a motion (our alarm alerts us when a door is open ) must be deactivated. We were told deactivating was fine and that we didn't need to remove the batteries. But anything that is always on with no indication of motion and not motion activated, can stay on.

But yes, then we have no alarm or video surveillance on shabbos and yom tov.

As my father-in-law says "we have the best alarm system....mezuzuos".

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 8:09 pm
We have security cameras , not ring door bells, that recording is motion activated.
We were told for shabbos to either 1. Set recording to go continuously - not motion activated or 2. Turn off our house monitors on shabbos. So cameras are on and recording but we can't view them on shabbos

amother
Marigold

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 8:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
I think there’s some confusion here. There’s a security camera which records footage 24 hrs.
And then there’s a bell with a camera which I think only records/turns on when someone rings the bell. I’m referring the the camera which records 24 hours

The ring doorbell I’m referring to is only activated by sensor. You can adjust it to start recording at whatever sensitivity you want from literally when the wind blows to only if someone rings the bell to never record to only live record if you're actively watching the app, etc.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note