Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Any wine experts?
1  2  Next

groovy1224

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 10:19 am
Neither my husband or I know a thing about 'good' wines, neither of us really drink at all.

Can anyone recommend a nice but reasonably priced wine to give to rabbeim/rabbis, presumably meant to either drink on purim or at the Seder?

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 10:44 am
Where do you live?

malkysbp

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 10:58 am
groovy1224 wrote:
Neither my husband or I know a thing about 'good' wines, neither of us really drink at all.

Can anyone recommend a nice but reasonably priced wine to give to rabbeim/rabbis, presumably meant to either drink on purim or at the Seder?

We usually ask the seller for recommendations according to our budget.

groovy1224

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 11:18 am
B'Syata D'Shmya wrote:
Where do you live?

I'm in NY, I have plenty of kosher wine places to choose from

groovy1224

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 11:19 am
malkysbp wrote:
We usually ask the seller for recommendations according to our budget.

Okay thanks..is $10-$20 a normal budget or id have to spend more to get something decent?

malkysbp

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 11:25 am
groovy1224 wrote:
Okay thanks..is $10-$20 a normal budget or id have to spend more to get something decent?

That's more of a beginner price. $35 is already decent.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 4:23 pm
If you want Israeli wine, remember that 2022 was a Shmita year so the wine may be Heter Mechira which may be a kashrus problem.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 4:23 pm
groovy1224 wrote:

Perhaps you can negotiate a better price for buying a larger quantity of bottles?

amother
Iris

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 4:27 pm
groovy1224 wrote:

You won’t get something ”nice” in that price range, but truthfully I don’t think you need anything nice if it’s for Purim or Seder. Most people who are very into their wine don’t use nice wines at these occasions because it’s used for a specific purpose as opposed to drinking it for enjoyment, and it’s kind of a waste

I’d say for a decent good wine, not fancy, expect to pay $30-50 though

MrsEsther

Barkan platinum 2021 Cabernet Sauvignon

amother
Iris

B'Syata D'Shmya wrote:
Perhaps you can negotiate a better price for buying a larger quantity of bottles?

Probably not, especially around this time when the wines are selling anyways

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 4:30 pm
I recommend Bartenura Rose it’s a sweet bubbly wine that’s not overly sweet

Some people don’t like dry wine but usually at least one person in the fam will like this wine Smile and it’s easily regiftable

I think it’s $15 or so

Cheiny

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 4:32 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
I'm in NY, I have plenty of kosher wine places to choose from

I recently heard the owners of Tops Liquor on Avenue U in Brooklyn just started becoming shomer Shabbos and have been closing the store every week. They spoke of getting lots of wonderful support from the community for doing so, which has been so wonderful for them. If possible, maybe you can patronize his store and add to the support. He’s very knowledgeable in kosher wines, they have a huge selection, and they definitely have great sales, and do offer discounts on cases.

amother
Mocha

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 4:33 pm
I'm not a wine expert but we usually give bottles in the $20 range. Not sure why that's not respectable...

Most rabbanim and rebbes are not wine connoisseurs either.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 4:33 pm
Herzog Orange Muscat is a different kind of wine that many people like. I believe it costs about $18-$20 per bottle.

amother
Mocha

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 4:34 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Herzog Orange Muscat is a different kind of wine that many people like. I believe it costs about $18-$20 per bottle.

Yes this one is really good.

momX4

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 4:35 pm
I typically give a $20 cabernet. Any wine store you go to should be able to advise a bottle that's within your budget.

mirib

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 4:40 pm
Wine is very hard, you need to find out if he drinks wine at all and which one some like sweet, semi sweet, or dry . Also there are different alcohol levels the same thing is with whisky there are different types. You can't go wrong with a nice box if chocolate or fruit platter

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 6:28 pm
This is a decent, drinkable wine and extremely well priced at total https://www.totalwine.com/wine.....aw.ds
Even in other stores it’s never expensive.

amother
Bluebell

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 7:37 pm
groovy1224 wrote:

For rabbeim/ rabbis go to topps in Brooklyn on Ave U, ask them to recommend something decent and give them your price range. They’ll definitely have something for between $10 and $15 and they give a discount if you buy a case. You can spend under $10 too. Rabbeim aren’t usually wine connoisseurs, but I understand you want to make it look nice.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics