Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
My plus-size shopping rant
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 7:54 pm
When you're severely overweight clothes shopping is a drag. Inventory is more limited, and you have to go through so many try-ons to find something you look passable in. You feel like poop remembering the good old days when everything you put on looked pretty darn good and the hardest part of shopping was narrowing down what to take home and what to leave behind. You stand there critiquing ever lump and bump on your oversized body. You wonder what's wrong with the people designing clothes for your size - they all seem to be some sausage casing for you to squeeze into in an attempt to dress like your skinny friends, or they are moomoos that make you feel like a beached whale.
But today insult was added to injury. Three of the four stores I went to shop in informed me they are no longer carrying plus sizes.
So yay, no I move from a bad shopping experience to a no shopping experience. I get the joy of doing all (ok most) of my shopping online so I can try on a hundred things at my house and after I'm thoroughly depressed I can have the task of packaging up and returning by mail 98 of those 100 things. Woohoo!
Thanks, world.
Rant done.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 7:57 pm
I heard a store in Lakewood stopped selling plus size because they said that everyone is on ozempic.

It's so not nice.

amother
Hosta

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 7:59 pm
https://www.instagram.com/the_.....ndDF5

I know ppl who did very well in this store. She is a doll.

amother
Yarrow

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 8:00 pm
I buy most of my plus size cloths in SHEIN. Some things are really nice. I posted a few links today on a plus size thread.

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 8:49 pm
amother Powderblue wrote:
I heard a store in Lakewood stopped selling plus size because they said that everyone is on ozempic.

It's so not nice.

Wait I have a rant about this. I went on Ozempic and lost 40lb. I’m down to 170. And yet today I tried on an XXL point tshirt that I bought two years ago on final sale (yes dumb me didn’t try it on) and ITS STILL TOO TIGHT. I’m down to a size 12 and I can’t fit into an xxl. Someone explain this me.
At this rate the stores should continue carrying all the oversized items they can bec real woman will still need it.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 8:53 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
Wait I have a rant about this. I went on Ozempic and lost 40lb. I’m down to 170. And yet today I tried on an XXL point tshirt that I bought two years ago on final sale (yes dumb me didn’t try it on) and ITS STILL TOO TIGHT. I’m down to a size 12 and I can’t fit into an xxl. Someone explain this me.
At this rate the stores should continue carrying all the oversized items they can bec real woman will still need it.

Do NOT let your self-esteem depend on frum sizing! I’m an 8 in shirts in the real world and I wear Junees XXL 😂. For Point shirts I come in at a L or XL, I can’t remember. Polka Dot sizing is a comedy show, I’m a 1XL as of last summer.

The sizing is a joke. Please don’t let it get to you!

amother
Butterscotch

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 8:54 pm
amother OP wrote:

But today insult was added to injury. Three of the four stores I went to shop in informed me they are no longer carrying plus sizes.

Yeah, what is up with that? Sad For a store to be like, "upon further consideration, we've decided not to be inclusive anymore, we don't care about you now" is absolutely insane. The stores that do carry plus sizes need to start advertising, because I'm not going to go walk into a store to ask. Fortunately there are a handful of good plus size stores. But because there are so few, I feel like there's a huge risk we'll all be dressed matching.

amother
Forsythia

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 8:58 pm

It's so not nice.

Which store? I’m getting ready to shop for the summer. Don’t want to waste my time

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 9:01 pm
As someone who is very well endowed and also petite I feel you on this. I absolutely hate to shop. I dream of a personal seamstress.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 9:03 pm
We did amazing at Sorority for the last few seasons (DD). They basically have the 1XL and up of whatever is sold in many other stores in Lakewood.

amother
Bone

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 9:22 pm

It's so not nice.

This is just dumb! Have they looked around? Maybe a lot of women are on Ozempic, but I still see lots of women who wear plus sizes around.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 9:29 pm
amother Butterscotch wrote:
Yeah, what is up with that? Sad For a store to be like, "upon further consideration, we've decided not to be inclusive anymore, we don't care about you now" is absolutely insane. The stores that do carry plus sizes need to start advertising, because I'm not going to go walk into a store to ask. Fortunately there are a handful of good plus size stores. But because there are so few, I feel like there's a huge risk we'll all be dressed matching.

I am assuming the decision is money based, as most business decisions are. But I don't get it. Just because I hate shopping doesn't mean I don't still do it. I still need clothes to wear. I still need to wear nice things to work, for Shabbos, to simchas, etc. etc. I'm spending money. I know I'm not the only fat woman spending. I just don't get it. Did someone do a study that showed heavy women sit home in old sweat suits all day long?

amother
Steel

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 9:29 pm

It's so not nice.

I don’t buy this.

amother
Steel

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 9:31 pm
Op where are you located? Can we recommend stores that still sell?

A brand new store opened in Flatbush I wish I lived closer to check it out.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 9:31 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:

Don't even get me started on frum sizing. I took my daughter's dress shopping and complained that they had nothing in my size. Sales lady (size zero) tells me they have plenty of XXLs I can try on. Um, lady, do you have cataracts or something? Your XXLs are still just a size 8 or 10 in the real world, which I am far from.

amother
Thistle

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 9:40 pm
amother Yarrow wrote:
I buy most of my plus size cloths in SHEIN. Some things are really nice. I posted a few links today on a plus size thread.

Ca you link the thread where you posted?

amother
Navyblue

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 9:45 pm
amother Bone wrote:
This is just dumb! Have they looked around? Maybe a lot of women are on Ozempic, but I still see lots of women who wear plus sizes around.

Not even sure how it’s possible for ‘everyone’ to be on it, when it’s not safe for TTC/pregnancy/nursing.

amother
Bone

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 9:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
Don't even get me started on frum sizing. I took my daughter's dress shopping and complained that they had nothing in my size. Sales lady (size zero) tells me they have plenty of XXLs I can try on. Um, lady, do you have cataracts or something? Your XXLs are still just a size 8 or 10 in the real world, which I am far from.

So true. I went clothing shopping in Jewish stores recently. I was wearing a sweater from a non Jewish store, size XL, which fit me perfectly. I tried on a huge pile of sweaters. I finally walked out with one sweater, size 4XL! Nothing else fit.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 10:02 pm
amother Steel wrote:
Op where are you located? Can we recommend stores that still sell?

A brand new store opened in Flatbush I wish I lived closer to check it out.

I'm in south Florida. Very few frum stores altogether. So already I'm struggling to find clothes that fit AND are tznius in regular stores. Now a whole lot less regular stores.

ETA: Would totally fly up to NY/NJ to shop if someone could compile an excellent list of where to go for what.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 10:03 pm
I was at Beautiful in Monsey today. The owner is a doll of a woman and helped me so much. I'm also pregnant, and hate the regular maternity stores especially at plus sized. She gave me a few beautiful dresses to try and I went home with a something I actually feel good in. I highly recommend this store.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics