Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Starting HGH injections tomorrow IH for my son
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 8:45 pm
Any advice?
Which injection site did you use?
How did you dispose of sharp’s container when full?
Thanks for any information

amother
Arcticblue

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 8:49 pm
Good luck.
You are supposed to rotate injection sites so DS would switch off between legs and I would take turns sometimes doing his arms. He was too scared to do on his stomach (although I've done injections in my stomach and it's really not painful).
I'm terrible but I just threw the sharps container in the garbage.
I read on here that it's better to let the shot get to room temperature first so that's what we would do.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 8:56 pm
Who did you guys go to, and where, that you were able to get these shots? My child’s endocrinologist keeps brushing off my concern.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:06 pm
amother Arcticblue wrote:
Good luck.
You are supposed to rotate injection sites so DS would switch off between legs and I would take turns sometimes doing his arms. He was too scared to do on his stomach (although I've done injections in my stomach and it's really not painful).
I'm terrible but I just threw the sharps container in the garbage.
I read on here that it's better to let the shot get to room temperature first so that's what we would do.

thanks

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:06 pm
amother Ginger wrote:
Who did you guys go to, and where, that you were able to get these shots? My child’s endocrinologist keeps brushing off my concern.

CHOP... took years to get to this point

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
CHOP... took years to get to this point

Oh :-( do you live near there?
Also if you don’t mind my asking, how old is your child? Mine is almost 12, and I’m really getting concerned, but no one will listen to me.

amother
IndianRed

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:19 pm
amother Ginger wrote:

Northwell. Got approved really fast.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:21 pm
amother Ginger wrote:
Also if you don’t mind my asking, how old is your child? Mine is almost 12, and I’m really getting concerned, but no one will listen to me.

live in lakewood
he's over 12 but bone age is younger. I probably should have been more forceful is asking earlier but did not know any better. we were going to endo for years and he kept saying its fine. I did my histadlus. Hashem is in charge of his growth.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:21 pm
amother IndianRed wrote:

Which doctor do you see? Our doctor is in northwell as well.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:23 pm
amother IndianRed wrote:

which shot did you use?
can you share experience and tips? thaks

amother
IndianRed

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:28 pm
amother Ginger wrote:
Which doctor do you see? Our doctor is in northwell as well.

Dr Kreitzer

amother
IndianRed

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:29 pm
amother OP wrote:
which shot did you use?
can you share experience and tips? thaks

Skytrofa
Bh great experience so far. Ds is growing nicely bh, gained lots of weight and is eating more.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:31 pm
amother IndianRed wrote:
Skytrofa
Bh great experience so far. Ds is growing nicely bh, gained lots of weight and is eating more.

ds starting norditropin
whats the difference?

amother
IndianRed

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 10:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
ds starting norditropin
whats the difference?

Skytrofa is once a week and doesn’t need to be refrigerated. Also there are no shortages of it.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 10:33 pm
amother IndianRed wrote:
Skytrofa is once a week and doesn’t need to be refrigerated. Also there are no shortages of it.

Intriguing! Wonder why dr prescribed this one! Any difference in results or price?

amother
IndianRed

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 10:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
Intriguing! Wonder why dr prescribed this one! Any difference in results or price?

I think yours is the default and you have to ask for the Skytrofa as it’s newer on the market. Results are slightly better I think. Don’t know about price.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 11:09 pm
They generally prescribe the brands that your insurace covers. My dd is on Norditropin and is growing well BH. We've had to change pen sizes and for one month she was on Genotropin when there was no Norditropin available. But we have never been without HGH since she started. I believe that the shortage is better now.

Injection sites will be your child's preference. Mine prefers her stomach weirdly enough; according to her endo most kids don't. You'll have to figure out what works through trial and error. I have no idea how to dispose of the sharps containers. I have a small collection at this point, following for any information about this.

amother
IndianRed

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 11:21 pm
amother Firebrick wrote:
They generally prescribe the brands that your insurace covers. My dd is on Norditropin and is growing well BH. We've had to change pen sizes and for one month she was on Genotropin when there was no Norditropin available. But we have never been without HGH since she started. I believe that the shortage is better now.

Injection sites will be your child's preference. Mine prefers her stomach weirdly enough; according to her endo most kids don't. You'll have to figure out what works through trial and error. I have no idea how to dispose of the sharps containers. I have a small collection at this point, following for any information about this.

If you’re in NY you can throw it in the garbage I looked it up. If not look up the laws for your area.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 11:38 pm
I called my local department of public works and was told I can put sharps container in regular trash. Don't know if it's the same in all places but you can call your local dpw and ask.
Skytrofa is insanely expensive and your insurance might not cover it as a first choice, which is probably why your doctor started with norditropin. My son was happier on norditropin but we had to switch to skytrofa because we couldn't get the norditropin. Even with that, we only got temporary approval for skytrofa.
Your child will figure out which sites he prefers.
And another vote for administering at room temp.

amother
Molasses

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 11:40 pm
amother Ginger wrote:

Dealt with this took years. Finally got them to take it seriously at 12. Had to hade my pediatrician call and push for me.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics