Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Freeze chocolate bar??

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 7:49 am
I would like to have my MM assembled before shabbos becuase I think Motzei shabbos is going to be late enough without it, I am giving a baked good and a torino chocolate. Can I put the whole thing in the freezer then take out on Purim morning? Will the chocolate be ruined?

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 7:51 am
I did that one year and it was totally fine. I took it out the night before .

zaq

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 3:51 pm
Freezing is a great way to preserve chocolate. My friend buys KLP on sale after Pesach and freezes for the following year.

hodeez

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 3:52 pm
The tops don't get oxidized and turn light brown?

zaq

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 4:35 pm
Chocolate that has a greyish "bloom" on the surface has been exposed to heat. The "bloom" is cocoa butter, the fat portion of chocolate. It has a very low melting point, and when chocolate is stored in a place that's too warm, the cocoa butter melts and migrates to the surface. The phenomenon is harmless and taste is not affected; only the appearance is unappealing. Freezing or refrigerating chocolate prevents this effect, but does not reverse it if it has already happened. You'd have to melt and re-form the chocolate to bring back its original look.

hodeez

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 4:42 pm
I learned something new today! Thank you 😀

flowerpower

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 5:04 pm
You definitely can freeze it

zaq

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 6:13 pm
hodeez wrote:
I learned something new today! Thank you 😀

More fun chocolate facts:
During WWII the US government asked Milton Hershey, aka The Chocolate King, to create a high-energy, heat-resistant chocolate bar for emergency rations for US troops fighting in the war. The bar was to taste "slightly better than a boiled potato," as the military wanted this to be emergency food, not a treat that would be eaten right away.

Hershey came up with a concoction that satisfied the military's specs. The bars were bitter and had the consistency of bricks. They were so dense that soldiers had to shave off layers with a knife in order to eat them, because biting into them would have broken their teeth if not their jaws. No surprise, most of these bars ended up in the trash.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics