Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Using instant soup instead of ramen in salad

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 11:24 am
I have a salad recipe that I'd like to try that calls for ramen. I don't have ramen in the house but I do have instant soup cups. Can I substitute the noodles from the soup cups or would that be weird? (Never used ramen before so I don't know if there's a difference!)

amother
Marigold

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 11:25 am
amother OP wrote:
I have a salad recipe that I'd like to try that calls for ramen. I don't have ramen in the house but I do have instant soup cups. Can I substitute the noodles from the soup cups or would that be weird? (Never used ramen before so I don't know if there's a difference!)

Ramen noodles from the cup & ramen noodles from the packet, are the same thing.

amother
Quince

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 11:28 am
amother OP wrote:

the noodle soup cups is ramen noodles.

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 11:28 am
I think OP is asking whether the noodles in a cup of chicken noodle soup would be a good sub.

I am not sure because I think the process is a bit different as ramen noodles are fried and so in a salad they remain crunchy generally if eaten soon like Chinese Chicken Salad.

amother
Marigold

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 11:32 am
Amarante wrote:
I think OP is asking whether the noodles in a cup of chicken noodle soup would be a good sub.

I am not sure because I think the process is a bit different as ramen noodles are fried and so in a salad they remain crunchy generally if eaten soon like Chinese Chicken Salad.

It's the same noodles as the packets of plain ramen noodles.
It doesn't come fried in the packet. You can roast or fry it yourself.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 11:33 am
I'd use the noodles from the cup uncooked, of course! I just didn't know if there's a difference between the noodles in a package or the ones in a cup. What embarrassed

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 11:35 am
Yes sure theyr the same.

Just roast in oven first.

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 11:37 am
amother Marigold wrote:
It's the same noodles as the packets of plain ramen noodles.
It doesn't come fried in the packet. You can roast or fry it yourself.
''

Almost all ramen noodles in a packet are fried as part of the processing of the food.

This is one of the many reasons why they aren't considered to be particularly healthy.

You might not realize that they are "fried" because they don't look fried the way chow mien noodles look obviously fried but they are fried.

Fresh ramen noodles are of course not fried.

Most big corporate ramen manufacturers fry their noodles in palm oil. Oil cooks food faster than water, so it takes only a few seconds to prepare a batch of noodles. The big brands use this method because it's cheap and makes the noodles cook quickly, not because it's great for your health.

ETA If you are getting a large package of noodles without the other ingredients (not Ramen In a Cup type), the noodles probably aren't fried but you can easily check the ingredients to see if there is oil as a significant ingredient.

Busybee5

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 11:54 am
Yes they're exactly the same thing. One is in a pot, one is is a packet

imanotmommy

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 12:37 pm
Just compared the nutrition info on Gefen ramen noodles and gefen instant noodle soup, and they're pretty much the same

amother
Banana

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 12:56 pm
Amarante wrote:
''

Almost all ramen noodles in a packet are fried as part of the processing of the food.

This is one of the many reasons why they aren't considered to be particularly healthy.

You might not realize that they are "fried" because they don't look fried the way chow mien noodles look obviously fried but they are fried.

Fresh ramen noodles are of course not fried.

Most big corporate ramen manufacturers fry their noodles in palm oil. Oil cooks food faster than water, so it takes only a few seconds to prepare a batch of noodles. The big brands use this method because it's cheap and makes the noodles cook quickly, not because it's great for your health.

ETA If you are getting a large package of noodles without the other ingredients (not Ramen In a Cup type), the noodles probably aren't fried but you can easily check the ingredients to see if there is oil as a significant ingredient.

There are two ways to prepare ramen commercially. One is with steam and one is with oil. A few kashrus agencies have said the Jewish brands are made with steam.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 1:00 pm
Just make sure noodle cups you have don’t have the spices mixed in already as opposed to a separate package.

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 1:01 pm
amother Banana wrote:
There are two ways to prepare ramen commercially. One is with steam and one is with oil. A few kashrus agencies have said the Jewish brands are made with steam.

I don't use ANY soup in a cup or ramen in a cup because they are horrendously unhealthy and don't taste particularly good Very Happy

amother
DarkRed

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 2:42 pm
They are unhealthy, but so yummy!!

amother
Marigold

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 3:54 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:
They are unhealthy, but so yummy!!

The noodles alone, without the spice packets, aren’t that unhealthy.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 4:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'd use the noodles from the cup uncooked, of course! I just didn't know if there's a difference between the noodles in a package or the ones in a cup. What embarrassed

No difference.
The dried ones in the pkg and the dried ones in the soup cup are par-cooked (or should I say par-fried; think 300 calories), and then you add boiling water and seasoning (or just use as is for the directions in your recipe).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen