Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Question about 2nd hand wigs

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 2:11 am
If you buy a wig second hand from a gemach/2nd hand wig sale/etc how do you know what kind of hair it is, and if there's a problem with the country of origin?

watergirl

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 5:31 am
All wigs have that concern (and not everyone holds this is a concern, ask your lor). The human hair trade and wig making industry is wildly unregulated. Despite what a sheitel company/macher promises, there is no way to know the true origin and real quality of the hair.

As a sidenote, I started covering my hair back in 2001 and were obsessed with each other. If the hair was European, Russian, Asian, etc. Today, everybody claims the hair is European and there is much less of an obsession than there was years ago. I believe this is because wig making techniques and hair trading techniques have advanced so much that horse hair feel luxurious.

As a second sidenote, I was told by a very popular, respected, and admired wigmaker that “legally“ a wig can be called unprocessed even it’s been processed twice. It was especially funny because there is nothing legal about it, there are no laws. There’s no oversight. And this wigmaker’s husband told me that if anybody tells you a wig is unprocessed, they’re lying.

Further, what people think are virgin hair wigs have been processed a number of times. Nobody wants to buy virgin hair, it’s disgusting. He needs to be treated to get the look that we want.

At this point in my life, I cannot afford a brand new sheitel and all mine aside from a fall or secondhand. And they are all way better than my the “European” fall I paid $990 for.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels