Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
What would you do re: garbage on neighbor’s property

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 12:05 pm
I live on a block where people’s garbage lands up in my neighbors yard and mine.
No one sees it but I do.
I try very hard to clean my neighbors yard of my garbage when it flies over.
Am I mean for not picking up everyone else’s garbage?
This is not a one time thing.
My neighbor is mad and I told them that not all of it is mine.
One time I caught the husband throwing all the garbage onto my lawn when it clearly it wasn’t mine because it had someone else’s name on it.
So it is mean of me to only pick up my garbage on my neighbors lawn and leave the rest for them to clean up?

amother
Apple

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 12:16 pm
You might be my neighbor. If you are you should know that my DH only returns your garbage to you. He returns the boxes with the neighbor to your rights name to them to her and the one on my left to them (but know the left has complained about your and the one on your right garbage as well).
Can you possibly get more garbage pails and ones with lids that contain the garbage.
I have pails with lids that are heavy and stay on. If you would like I can tell you what they are and post a link. One needs enough pails for all garbage, pizza boxes, and Amazon/Target boxes. If you have too much that day, leave it in your garage until the next garbage pick up. I know there is lot of garbage and it is windy, but it shouldn’t be on my lawn.

amother
Clematis

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 12:21 pm
Why is there loose garbage outside on a regular basis? This is a normal thing?

amother
Tuberose

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 12:25 pm
My next door neighbor's children regularly throw their trash over the fence into our yard, or throw it on our front lawn and their stays clean. She doesn't believe me. I don't buy styrofoam plates and the kinds of snacks that her kids eat. The stuff is always on the side of the lawn between our two homes. It isn't anyone else. Its so hard for me not to dislike her and her kids. I HATE IT when our kids want to play together. If I mention anything, her kids just stare at me blankly and pretend not to know what I'm talking about.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 12:38 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:
My next door neighbor's children regularly throw their trash over the fence into our yard, or throw it on our front lawn and their stays clean. She doesn't believe me. I don't buy styrofoam plates and the kinds of snacks that her kids eat. The stuff is always on the side of the lawn between our two homes. It isn't anyone else. Its so hard for me not to dislike her and her kids. I HATE IT when our kids want to play together. If I mention anything, her kids just stare at me blankly and pretend not to know what I'm talking about.

You can dislike what they do without disliking them.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 12:38 pm
My garbage is not the problem.
Sometimes when it’s recycle day and the boxes and bottles are out at night and it’s windy it blows to my neighbors yard.
I of course go and pick them up when it does.
My question is what do I do if I see garbage let’s say next to my bottle I am picking up that I know for sure isn’t mine. I feel funny leaving it there but it’s really not my responsibility and my neighbor doesn’t know that it’s not mine. I don’t think I should be responsible for cleaning up but my neighbor is mad because they think it’s mine because we share that piece of grass.

amother
Clematis

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 1:16 pm
Is it possible to use a covered container for recycling? I think that each person should be responsible for making an effort keep their own garbage/recycling from blowing away in the first place, especially if this is am ongoing situation.

Everyone is responsible for cleaning their own property. It is good of you to pick up your garbage when you see it, but you don't need to pick up everyone's garbage from your neighbor's yard, no matter how much it annoys you. If you want to be extra nice, or course you can do it, but you shouldn't be expected to.

amother
Steel

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 1:33 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:

Tell them you’ve installed a camera. Maybe you should install a camera.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 3:38 pm
Personally if I see garbage on my lawn, even if it's not mine I pick it up and put it in the garbage because it bothers me.
To pick up garbage that "belongs" to the neighbors and put it back on "their" lawn is in my opinion obnoxious, petty and immature! If it's in your hands it's not harder to put it in a garbage can!

If all neighbors picked up whatever garbage they found on their lawn, lawns would be clean.
Wind usually doesn't only blow in one direction!!!
Our garbage stays in the can, we have one that belongs to the township and comes with a cover.
I'm talking about garbage that people throw/drop on the floor !

lamplighter

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 5:08 pm
Is the wind blowing it or are they dropping it in your yard. If it is the latter I would say something. If it's the wind, I would pick it up.
I definitely wouldn't leave it, I'd just be punishing myself.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette