Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Purim Theme Gemach

Boca00

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 2:19 am
Had a brilliant costume/theme/Mishloach manos that your hubby or kids absolutely refused to go along with? Here’s your chance to share your idea with another ima who may have more luck in bribing her kids to go along with it. (Or better candy.)

Still no theme and realizing just how soon Purim is? No need to start waxing poetic about how ridiculous and newfangled themes are, you can’t understand why people do them yada yada yada… just drop your requirements below and we’ll try to help you out.

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 7:34 am
Love this idea!

As girls, my sister and I planned the perfect theme- we'd all be hippies/flower children and the youngest would be a five-leafed plant. For some reason my mother said no every year...

Goldie613

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 7:52 am
Did a variation of this one year, and have seen others do similar things as well- it's fairly cheap if your family is into sports or is part of a little league...

Family wears baseball shirts/jerseys/little league uniforms. The shalach monos are the types of snacks/drinks they see at baseball games (think peanuts, cracker jacks, hot dogs on a bun, soda, stuff like that...), and you can include your own take on the song "Take me out to the ballgame"

For those not familiar with it the chorus, which is the part that's usually played at a baseball game, is -

Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out with the crowd;
Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack,
I don't care if I ever get back.
So let's root, root, root for the home team
If they don't win, it's a shame.
For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,
At the old ball game.

Goldie613

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 8:03 am
Color theme is another simple/not too expensive one -

Option 1 = everyone dresses in the same color (for example, everyone wears blue), and the shalach manos is all blue too (blueberries, blue candy, blue gumballs, a blue drink or blueberry muffin, depending on how much you want to fuss.

Option 2 = Crayon colors theme. Everyone in the family dresses in a different colors, you can even put a cone shaped hat on for crayon tops (I'm guessing someone could make the cones out of oak tag, think like a dunce cap). Shaloch manos can have different color foods to match your family (if you are blue, orange, green and yellow, you can put in candies in those colors, or have fruit in those colors, or use food coloring to bake things in those colors.) You could also put a drawing of a box of crayons on the outside of the box or bag you are using for shaloch manos to continue the theme that way.

These links could work for hats, though there may be cheaper options out there -

https://www.amazon.com/Bantoye.....r=8-3

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1.....ick=1

https://www.teacherspayteacher.....86133

amother
Bone

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 8:14 am
amother Aconite wrote:
Love this idea!

As girls, my sister and I planned the perfect theme- we'd all be hippies/flower children and the youngest would be a five-leafed plant. For some reason my mother said no every year...

Lol.

I actually wanted to do a pot theme a couple of years ago when it became legal in my state. I figured we could put in brownies and gummies (no actual cannabis, of course!) and some pot-ato chips and some other stuff like that. DH said no because he works in a conservative field and couldn't have rumors going around about him and pot. It was fun to think about though!

I wanted to do a leap year theme this year, but the whole family vetoed that one. Oh well. We came up with a really good one instead, which I can share after Purim.

Boca00

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 11:20 am
Great ideas!

Theme idea: the royal family with Kate missing and a poem about all the popular conspiracies.

And I said this on another thread, I suggested my kids give Out all the officially yucky candy, like black licorice, yellow Laffy taffy’s, and black jellybeans. They were not impressed lol.

dankbar

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 11:40 am
I wanted to do kibbutz galius one yr, like all 4 galius, Roman, Egyptians, Greek and even statue of liberty or uncle Sam for galius America, but my kids refused
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics