Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Question for challah bakers

koalamum

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 6:55 am
I love baking challah every week and I use different size challah forms to shape them.
Today I want to bake one huge challah for my grandson’s bar mitzvah. Naturally there are no forms huge enough for that.
Any suggestions as to how best to form the very big challah so it can keep its shape?

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 10:57 am
koalamum wrote:
I love baking challah every week and I use different size challah forms to shape them.
Today I want to bake one huge challah for my grandson’s bar mitzvah. Naturally there are no forms huge enough for that.
Any suggestions as to how best to form the very big challah so it can keep its shape?

Op, not sure how big you want to make it but there are definitely pans out there. I know there used to be a disposable one, not sure if they still make it, but otherwise if you’re willing to spend the money they definitely sell them

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 11:03 am
I use a roaster that I have for meat
It is perfect shape and size for a full 5 lb recipe

OIF SIMCHAS

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 11:03 am
https://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=46290

I have this pan. Expensive but so worth it. makes a stunning Challah.

koalamum

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 12:45 pm
2429 wrote:
I use a roaster that I have for meat
It is perfect shape and size for a full 5 lb recipe

Wow! I have a big oval roaster! I didn’t think of it! Thanks so much!

koalamum

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 12:46 pm
member wrote:
Op, not sure how big you want to make it but there are definitely pans out there. I know there used to be a disposable one, not sure if they still make it, but otherwise if you’re willing to spend the money they definitely sell them

Thanks!

koalamum

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 12:47 pm
OIF SIMCHAS wrote:

Thanks!

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 2:54 pm
koalamum wrote:

I never use challos forms, I braid them and they keep their shape.

the trick is to have a rather dry dough, not to put too much water in the dough, the dryer the dough, the better it keeps the form, the more hydrated the dough, the harder it is to braid and keep the shape.

I knead the dough by hand, and often I have the impression that there is not enough water at the beginning, and then it forms a beautiful dough that is not very sticky. If you have leftover flour, you need to add a bit of water, but sparingly.

The trick to make it raise in the oven is to preheat to a maximum (275°C) and to add steam. I have a second oven sheet on the lowest level and pour water on it when the oven is hot. Afterwards I put in the challos and reduce the heat to 230°C. Baking time is rather short (15-30 min), but depends on size.

ETA: another trick is not to wait too long between braiding and baking, if it is more than 30 min, the challah loses its oven spring.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 2:57 pm
OIF SIMCHAS wrote:

Is that $110 for a challa pan?! Wow that's a lot. Must make a huge challa too
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics