Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Taking away others cleaning help erev pesach
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 12:49 pm
Erev pesach season is here, and the cleaning lady stealing has begun.
Many of us are having our part time cleaning ladies not show because others have offered them more hours till after pesach.
I just want to make other's aware that if you have a part time cleaning lady & ask them to take on more hours before pesach, or if you stop a cleaning lady you see on the street & ask her to come work for you, you are most likely causing another jewish women to stay without cleaning help erev pesach.
Please be considerate to others and think before you act.
Thanks!

Success10

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 12:53 pm
I thought this was about cleaning ladies stealing valuables while cleaning for Pesach.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 12:54 pm
Success10 wrote:
I thought this was about cleaning ladies stealing valuables while cleaning for Pesach.

Ooops I'll change the title!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 1:11 pm
Success10 wrote:

Me too Smile
Come to think of it the cleaning lady is a human being but in this season she also gets the status of being even more valued Smile

amother
Lightgreen

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 1:21 pm
In which communities do people stop cleaning ladies they see on the street?
Can you really recognize your friend/sister/neighbor's cleaning lady if you see her on the street?

meyerlemon44

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 1:29 pm
amother Lightgreen wrote:
In which communities do people stop cleaning ladies they see on the street?
Can you really recognize your friend/sister/neighbor's cleaning lady if you see her on the street?

Do you think she tells everyone you look like all the other Jews?

amother
Lightgreen

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 1:30 pm
meyerlemon44 wrote:
Do you think she tells everyone you look like all the other Jews?

She probably does.

amother
DarkGray

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 1:38 pm
Each women for herself. If I can offer her more hours which is more money it’s best for her to come to me why is it only about you? You can also up ur hours

amother
Milk

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 1:39 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:
Each women for herself. If I can offer her more hours which is more money it’s best for her to come to me why is it only about you? You can also up ur hours

I think you're misunderstanding. Adding hours to you will likely make the cleaning lady drop her other client altogether and leave her totally stranded (not leave her with just her year round hours but with nothing at all)

amother
Cappuccino

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 1:41 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:

Because what if you do that before I even have a chance and then not only do I nor have extra hours, I lose my regular hours? How is that fair?

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 1:42 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:

Why don’t you offer her more any other time of the year?

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 1:46 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:

No it's not each woman for themselves. It's just not. Would you like it if someone offered yours more money and she suddenly left you high and dry?? Of course she won't tell you why, they are way too clever....either her grandmother 'suddenly died' or her father 'had a fire' and she has to rescue him...

They know their value and play the game very well. But let's not stoop to their level.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 1:48 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:

🤮

watergirl

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 1:51 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:

The halacha page in Family First addressed this issue this time last year, and no, it's not every women for herself. Knowingly (the important piece here) poaching an employee from someone for your benefit is wrong. If you ask her if she has a client on Tuesdays from 11-3 but don't say "because I would pay you $30/hour for that time slot" and she says no, then you can assume she is telling you the truth. But if you tell her on the outset that you are willing to pay her X amount higher than the going rate if she will give you more hours, then yes it's an issue.

I recently let my cleaning help go because we can't afford it, so I have no horse in this race, but in the past years, our cleaning help would cancel before pesach and it was whatever it was - we had her for only 2 hours/week and she owed me no loyalty.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 1:55 pm
The worst is poaching a cleaning lady for more than the going rate, but not making it clear that you don't plan on keeping her for those hours and that rate after Pesach.

Look, I get it. If I can find someone who was willing to clean for me for 15 hours a week before Pesach, I'd grab it (if I knew that I wasn't taking away someone else's help).
But I don't need those hours after Pesach, so I would cut her hours after. But that's unethical unless I made it clear when I was hiring her that it was temporary.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 2:01 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:

I'll be you DLKZ that you misunderstood, don't see how you're coming across and are not really this selfish.....

Peersupport

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 2:02 pm
I don't think asking a cleaning lady to come for more hours is stealing if you don't know her schedule.

The problem is offering more money, or stopping a cleaning lady that you see leaving a neighbors house.

You can't help that they are not always honest.
We can only be honest ourselves.

The only thing that helps your cleaning lady show up is tefillah.
(And telling her that you will pay her the remaining balance next time Laugh)

amother
PlumPink

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 2:02 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:

Each woman for herself is not the attitude of a frum woman, a balas middos, a mentch.
Oy to you, I hope you are not my neighbor and not just because of cleaning lady

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 2:05 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:

If you offer more hours before pesach, this most likely means that she won't show up to other women she works for. Most cleaning ladies have their days filled up. If you have her 4 hours a day, she's at a different house for the rest of the day. If you ask her to stay for more hours, it means that someone else is staying without cleaning help.
As you said, it's not only about you.
And no, I will not do the same because I don't have the heart to do to another women, what was done to me so many times on erev pesach season. Because it's not only about me.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 2:11 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:

When does a frum Jewish woman ever in her life say “each woman for herself”?! That has to be the most unJewish thing I ever read here.
We’re all coming from different backgrounds and levels of observance, but if you’re Jewish enough to clean for Pesach, you’re definitely Jewish enough to know we care about each other and you never ever say each woman for herself.
While you’re sitting at the Seder meticulously making sure you’re yotzei four kosos, matza and maror in your spotlessly clean home, think of the woman whose cleaning help you stole barely able to keep her eyes open with her back aching and her kids whiny because they haven’t had attention from her in days. Think of that and you tell me if your perfect execution of all the mitzvos of the chag isn’t overshadowed by the pain you planted in another Jewish heart, a heart you’re meant to value as you value your own.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette