Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Would you care?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 11:06 am
If your child or grandchild named after your parent but didn't give the full name?
The name is a hebrew-yiddish type like dov ber, shlomo zalman, yitzchak Issac, shoshana raizel

(I'm the grandchild)

Gerbera

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 11:17 am
Absolutely not. Their child - the parents do as they wish and parents should not get involved with naming of grandchildren.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 11:20 am
Honestly, yes deep down I would care. I would never say anything to child or grandchild, it’s 100% their decision. And I would be very happy they named after my parent at all, I’d be very thankful to them. But I’d also care.

essie14

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 11:31 am
I wouldn't care.
The parents can name their children whatever they want. I won't be involved.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 11:41 am
Maybe. No way to know until im in the situation.

Feeling are always ok. How you react to those feelings is the key.

honey36

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 12:08 pm
amother Floralwhite wrote:
Honestly, yes deep down I would care. I would never say anything to child or grandchild, it’s 100% their decision. And I would be very happy they named after my parent at all, I’d be very thankful to them. But I’d also care.

Would it make a difference if your parent only went by one name anyway. Like for example, full name was Shlomo Zalman, but everyone just called him "Shlomo" or " Shloimy". So they name the baby Shlomo and call him Shlomo or Shloimy.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 12:58 pm
I wouldn't care. But I know my in laws care and my grandmother cares, but my parents don't care. It is very individual and everyone is entitled to their feelings, however that doesn't make everyone entitled to voice their opinions to the baby's parents. Live and let live.

amother
Mayflower

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:00 pm
amother Floralwhite wrote:

Exactly this.

amother
Mulberry

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 5:54 am
I will be very happy and grateful if my children (or grandchildren) choose to name after my parent/s, and will truly appreciate it any way they choose to do that.

My MIL, on the other hand, made it clear to us years ago that only if we give her parents' full names (including Hebrew+Yiddish double name) does she consider it naming after them. We did it with her father's name, but couldn't with her mother's because one of her mother's names is the same as mine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names