Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Yeast conversion problem

Twizzlers

Post Sun, Aug 17 2008, 1:56 pm
I substituted fresh yeast for dry according to an online conversion chart. the problem is, that with the fresh yeast, my challah rose tons in about an hour, and with the dry yeast, it took like all day and still wasnt as high as it usually is. could it be that I need more yeast? or is that standard for dry??

Tamiri

Post Sun, Aug 17 2008, 2:00 pm
Did you check the water temperature? It's important for activating dry yeast; the water temp. you need varies based on the type of recipe you use. If the water is too hot for the yeast, you kill it. I don't know what your weather is like but I can't imagine it's too cold for the yeast, as it rises nicely in the fridge overnight.

greenfire

Post Sun, Aug 17 2008, 2:12 pm
fresh yeast will always be better ...

SZ mother

Post Sun, Aug 17 2008, 3:29 pm
I don't like fresh yeast at all!!! It was always airy and smelled like beer.
Dry yeast - 6 individual packages is perfect for a 5 pounds recipe. (actually the perfect measurement is 5, but I like to use 6)
That's it...
BTW - I make the dough on Thursday night, after brochah put the bag I nthe fridge, and bake it next day. It rises faboulous!
Hatzlacha!

Twizzlers

Post Sun, Aug 17 2008, 4:47 pm
fresh yeast is alot more expensive. for that price, I may as well buy the challah already. so I want to use dry to save money.

I thought I had the water temperature at warm...I guess I'll just have to try again.

SZmother; can u add more just like that? will adding more make it rise higher and/or faster?

and with the fresh yeast, I was able to make it friday morning, and braid it 2 hours later, and then bake it another 2 hours later....I dont like leaving it overnite.

mummy-bh

Post Sun, Aug 17 2008, 5:16 pm
I only use dried yeast, and I make my dough on Friday morning an shape it 1.5-2 hours later.

I use 2 parts tap water to 1 part boiling.

I use one sachet of yeast to 5 cups of high-gluten flour.

HTH!

abismommy

Post Sun, Aug 17 2008, 8:17 pm
I use 5T + 1t of fresh yeast to 6 lbs of flour if it helps.

here is a good yeast equivalency chart:

SZ mother

Post Sun, Aug 17 2008, 8:20 pm
Twizzlers wrote:
fresh yeast is alot more expensive. for that price, I may as well buy the challah already. so I want to use dry to save money.

I thought I had the water temperature at warm...I guess I'll just have to try again.

SZmother; can u add more just like that? will adding more make it rise higher and/or faster?

and with the fresh yeast, I was able to make it friday morning, and braid it 2 hours later, and then bake it another 2 hours later....I dont like leaving it overnite.

Yes, you can add just like that, I am not sure if it raises faster or higher.... My husband likes to put 6 packages, but anyway, I did it on Friday at 3 PM and 2 hours later it was huge, so you can definetely use dry yeast on Friday.

Twizzlers

Post Sun, Aug 17 2008, 9:31 pm
thank you!

I will iyh try it this week

Pineapple

Post Sun, Aug 17 2008, 9:39 pm
I started using dry yeast and then switched to fresh and wouldnt go back. My challahs rise so much nicer with fresh yeast than it did with the dry.

Cdlf

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 7:40 am
After seeing Devora Heller's demonstration-the Challah Maven- I switched to dry. It's so convenient to always have the ingredients a t home-I have a big package that I poured into a container. I use 5 tablespoons for 6 lbs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads