Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
What are the basic mitzvot for Purim?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 6:44 am
Explain like I'm an idiot please.

1. I have to listen to megilla once Motzei Shabbat and once Sunday day, right?

2. I have to give 2 edible foods to 1 Jewish person, right? Do I do this motzei Shabbat or Sunday day?

3. What is the Purim Seudah? Is that a mitzvah or masoret? And if a mitzvah, what exactly is needed?

4. Anything else?

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 6:52 am
Matonos L'evyonim, not sure on the minimum. Charity distributed on Purim. Many shuls have a collection plate for this.

But proper to spend more on matonos l'evyonim than mishloach monsters.

I think one should eat bread at seudah to wash and bentch. Drink wine. (Men?)

Be happy! ☺ mitzvah everyday but especially on Purim.

Davven, purim special time for prayers to be answered.

Last edited by #BestBubby on Tue, Mar 19 2024, 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total

myname1

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 6:58 am
The 2 foods to one person is in the day. The charity to two poor people is in the day as well. And yes, a bread meal during the day Sunday is also halacha. Just needs bread as far as I know. The only night mitzvah is megillah (which, as you said, is in the day, too).

Highstrung

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 7:01 am
https://www.chabad.org/holiday.....m.htm

amother
Strawberry

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 8:24 am
Seuda, Mishloach Manos, and Matanos LaEvyonim are done by day after hearing Megilla.
This is because the Shehecheyanu on Megillah is used to have in mind the other mitzvos of the day

Also: we say על הניסים in Shmone Esre and in Betching

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:07 am
1. Megillah once at night and once during the day. All other mitzvos are day, and when shehechiyanu is said at the day time reading, have the other 3 in mind.

2. Matanos l'evyonim. Must be given to two people. There is no minimum, but it is ideal to spend more than on the other mitzvos.

3. Mishloach manos. 2 foods to one person is all you need. The rest is just being nice.

4. Seuda. This is a mitzvah of the day, NOT just a minhag. At the very minimum, you need to wash and bench. As with any holiday seuda, fleishig is preferable, but it's not strictly a must and you don't need to make yourself crazy to make it fancy. But it is basically a Yom tov meal, so treat it as such.

amother
Strawberry

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 10:00 am
amother Fuchsia wrote:
1. Megillah once at night and once during the day. All other mitzvos are day, and when shehechiyanu is said at the day time reading, have the other 3 in mind.

2. Matanos l'evyonim. Must be given to two people. There is no minimum, but it is ideal to spend more than on the other mitzvos.

3. Mishloach manos. 2 foods to one person is all you need. The rest is just being nice.

4. Seuda. This is a mitzvah of the day, NOT just a minhag. At the very minimum, you need to wash and bench. As with any holiday seuda, fleishig is preferable, but it's not strictly a must and you don't need to make yourself crazy to make it fancy. But it is basically a Yom tov meal, so treat it as such.

There actually is a minimum for matanos laevyonim

dena613

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 10:32 am
amother Strawberry wrote:
There actually is a minimum for matanos laevyonim

There is. It's not a lot. Ask a shailah. I think it's around $5 per evyon, but I made up that number

dena613

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 10:34 am
Actually I was pretty close!

From https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html
Rav Shmuel Kamenetsky, shlita, thus rules that the minimum amount should be $1. The Shaarei Teshuvah rules that it should be the equivalent amount of the cost of a meal for a poor person. In modern times this amounts to approximately five dollars ( ruling of Rav Shmuel Fuerst).

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 11:16 am
Technical question but: can the evyonim be kids or do they have to be above bar/bat mitzvah? And does the matana have to be money or can it be food or shoes, etc?

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 2:47 pm
Pretty sure matonos l'evyonim has to be money, not food.

amother
Watermelon

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 2:57 pm
dena613 wrote:
There is. It's not a lot. Ask a shailah. I think it's around $5 per evyon, but I made up that number

There are multiple opinions. The lowest is 1 penny (perutah) per Ani. Some say it has to be the value of a meal, which I believe starts at about $3 or so.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 3:22 pm
Not Purim but closely related is hearing Parshat Zachor this Shabbos.

There are different views as to the extent of a woman's חיוב, but it's something you should try to do if at all possible. Many shuls have extra readings for women after the davening or before Mincha for those who can't come to the regular leining.

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 12:38 am
Re matonod l evyonim

One slice pizza is $3.75

A tuna sandwich is about the same.

amother
Strawberry

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 1:30 am
amother Watermelon wrote:
There are multiple opinions. The lowest is 1 penny (perutah) per Ani. Some say it has to be the value of a meal, which I believe starts at about $3 or so.

A peruta is not a penny, it's closer to a nickel in today's money
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics