Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Another weird baby story
1  2  Next

catonmylap

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 7:44 am
http://www.ynet.co.il/articles......html

Baby starts breathing 5 hours after being declared dead.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 8:19 am
Not really baby; 5 month old fetus which was declared dead in the womb.

Bambamama

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 8:21 am
That is amazing that the baby is alive, but sad that the baby wasn't able to continue its gestation in peace.... I think she was only 5 months along? I guess there is something to not having ultrasounds...

At the end of the article it talks about a case 10 years ago where a couple decided to abort because of severe defects, and there was a mistake in the abortion and the baby lived.... I wonder if that baby is mentally normal, and if he/she is aware of her history, because the article mentions the parents names. Confused

Bambamama

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 8:22 am
Tamiri wrote:
Not really baby; 5 month old fetus which was declared dead in the womb.

Well, since the fetus was born, it's now a baby, wouldn't you say?

shalhevet

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 8:31 am
The reason this woman had an abortion was because the doctor told her the foetus had died - I thought about how rabbonim always tell women to get a second opinion if they are told such a thing before doing anything. This was miraculous (although they don't give her much chance to live), but who knows how many babies are killed because of diagnostic mistakes like this one?

The second baby was born 10 days ago, not 10 years ago.

Bambamama

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 8:35 am
shalhevet wrote:
The reason this woman had an abortion was because the doctor told her the foetus had died - I thought about how rabbonim always tell women to get a second opinion if they are told such a thing before doing anything. This was miraculous (although they don't give her much chance to live), but who knows how many babies are killed because of diagnostic mistakes like this one?

The second baby was born 10 days ago, not 10 years ago.

You're right, I misread. Why would they mention their names? I would be mortified.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 10:48 am
Arabs. The one that was aborted this am but found to be moving 5 hours later. Week 23. The picture, in my opinion, is of a full term or nearly full term baby shock I dunno, maybe something funny going on maybe a mistake with the photo http://www.ynet.co.il/articles......html

GAMZu

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 11:25 am
I'm not so sure on the full story- can someone summarize?
Tamiri, 23 weeks? Surprised Is that even possible to survive at such an early stage? shock
And I didn't see any picture What

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 11:25 am
For those who don't understand the Hebrew article, here it is in English:
http://www.ynetnews.com/articl......html

Pineapple

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 11:28 am
GAMZu wrote:
Tamiri, 23 weeks? Surprised Is that even possible to survive at such an early stage? shock

Yes it is possible but hte child will have many issues growing up

Pineapple

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 11:28 am
Thanks methinks for the translation

Atali

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 11:34 am
GAMZu wrote:

I actually know a girl who was born at 23 weeks. She is about eleven years old now and seems totally fine except that she is small for her age and has a speech defect. She had to stay in the NICU for about five months, though.

GAMZu

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 11:39 am
Thanks for the English link!

supermom

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 11:53 am
shalhevet wrote:

Maybe the english is different than the hebrew. But the english said she went in for prenatal checkup for something different no? According to the information available about the case, the baby's mother, five months pregnant at the time, checked into the hospital several days ago, for a series of prenatal tests.
The tests indicated she was experiencing some intrauterine bleeding and that her fetus had no pulse

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 11:54 am
Pineapple wrote:
Yes it is possible but hte child will have many issues growing up

I know someone born in 24-25 week and is perfectly fine and a very sweet girl. She's married and everything is b"H normal with her.

I had no intentions posting anonymously. But why is it disabled?

daamom

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 11:58 am
I know a boy who was born at twenty something weeks. He is ten years old and is completely at his age level physically (not short, etc.), and above average intelligence.
They kept him in the hospital until his due date, or whereabouts.

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 12:34 pm
wow ... I guess you can't be sure of anything ... I always wondered about the people who run to abort a supposed dead fetus ... I would think one should wait till it aborts itself then you know for sure ...

mali

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 3:48 am
shalhevet wrote:
which is why it's so important to consult with a rav before aborting a fetus the doctors claim is dead. there are many many rabbanim nowadays who say an ultrasound does not serve as halachic proof, and that you need more than that in order to abort a dead fetus. ideally, the mother should wait until the process starts naturally or until there's some threat to her own life, in which case even a live fetus would have to be aborted (and doctors telling her that it's dangerous to keep a dead fetus inside herself is still not enough life threatening. the body has to show some sort of symptom that it's affected by what's happening inside it).

catonmylap

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 3:57 am
I read a story of someone who went in for a d & c, and they did an ultrasound first and found a heartbeat. I think the doctors just need to be sure and double check everything.

You might not want to wait for a missed miscarriage because it could make the difference between having a d & c and having a full birth (which is obviously a much more difficult experience & a longer recovery). That's not the case here. But I think it would be really difficult to walk around pregnant and showing and knowing that your baby inside is dead.....I think you'd just want to get it over with...

Tamiri

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 4:04 am
The baby died (again) this morning. This time they say it's permanent.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics