Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Gift for Realtor

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 9:23 am
Hi,

What is the norm to give to a realtor after closing on a house?

wanttobehappy

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 9:24 am
They get a check… wine is nice

amother
Hosta

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 9:24 am
amother OP wrote:
Hi,

What is the norm to give to a realtor after closing on a house?

The realtor should be gifting the buyer/seller. Realtors make commission.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 9:59 am
amother Hosta wrote:
The realtor should be gifting the buyer/seller. Realtors make commission.

The Realtor we used was working on behalf of the seller, not us. And yes, she made a nice commission. She actually did send us a gift (it was totally unexpected).

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 12:19 pm
That's what I thought - she made a lot of money off the sale and yes she got us a gift.
But then I was told that since I did not pay her anything and she helped me I should buy her a gift/give cash.

Does anyone do this?

Yeshivish Lakewood

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 12:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
That's what I thought - she made a lot of money off the sale and yes she got us a gift.
But then I was told that since I did not pay her anything and she helped me I should buy her a gift/give cash.

Does anyone do this?

Yeshivish Lakewood

The buyer never pays, all commission to the realtors are paid through the seller

They are making money off of you regardless, and I wouldn’t send anything personally. They get you a gift, not the other way around

mha3484

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 12:29 pm
I agree. If you felt they gave you exceptional service you can send a thank you card and refer them to others. That's the best gift really. More business. Also if they ask you, you can leave a review/testimonial for their website or other marketing material.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 12:45 pm
Seems like everyone here agrees..
I don't know why ppl told me they give up to $500.
I do hear the point that they help me and answer all my questions and take me to a few houses etc and I didn't pay her anything

Chayalle

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 1:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
Seems like everyone here agrees..
I don't know why ppl told me they give up to $500.
I do hear the point that they help me and answer all my questions and take me to a few houses etc and I didn't pay her anything

Maybe if you called a realtor and asked her to help you find a house, and she showed you several houses, then you would give her a gift because she was helping you. I think here also, it depends if she was the agent listed for the house you bought, or not - because it makes a difference how much of a commission she gets.

In our case, we saw an advertisement for our house - it's the only house the realtor showed us, because we called her to say we're interested in the house at XYZ address and she was the listed agent. She was working on behalf of the seller, to sell this house. And without going into too much detail, she was not servicing us at all, and did not offer us exceptional service. Quite the opposite.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 2:02 pm
No that was not the case
she is the buyer's agent and did show us a few houses before that we did not end up getting
and gave good service

amother
Dimgray

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 3:07 pm
Even if she took you around to a lot of houses she wasn’t doing it as a favor. She did it to get the sale and make money. That’s how her job works.

amother
Wandflower

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 3:09 pm
I bought boxes of chocolates from Amazon for closing day to give realtor, lawyer, loan officer. Wrote thank you notes and it made a huggeee kidush hashem
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries