Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Imperfect megillah reading...by a MAN
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 8:51 am
Not to bring up a sore topic that was either removed or locked (I couldn't find the thread so I don't know which it is)...

To those women who are skeptical about the ability of other women to read megillah correctly: last night I went to a regular reading by a male baal koreh because it was bad weather and the reading of, by, and for women was further away. I spotted several mistakes in his leining. Small things like reading a kaf instead of a chaf, or a patach instead of a shva. Does this invalidate the reading? Maybe, maybe not. Does it change the meaning of the word? Possibly, possibly not.

The rabbi didn't correct him, so I imagine the errors weren't fatal--or maybe the rabbi's hearing isn't all that good. But they were, nevertheless, inaccuracies. If a woman were to make theose same mistakes, all the ladies here screaming about how a woman can't lein megillah would pounce upon them as proof of their opinion. And even though the melody isn't critical, this baal koreh slurred the trope so you couldn't tell what te'amim he was reading. Again, maybe not fatal, but also something the anti-women's leining crowd would wave aloft as proof that women ought not to be doing this. I should have gone to the women's reading, where the reading is both accurate and melodic.

It's true what they say, a woman has to perform twice as well as a man to be considered half as good.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 9:00 am
No chiddush.

Anyone - male or female- can make mistakes

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 9:04 am
Sad but true.

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 9:09 am
So make sure a man who doesn't make mistakes leins next time. This doesn't 'prove' that a woman should do it.

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 9:48 am
You won't be yotzoe megillah if you hear it from a woman however perfectly they read it!

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:06 am
Everyone makes mistakes. Usually by the regular leining someone will correct any major mistakes. My husband leins for ladies and he says that that leining is much harder since no one will correct you if there is a mistake.

DrMom

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:08 am
amother Raspberry wrote:
You won't be yotzoe megillah if you hear it from a woman however perfectly they read it!

We hold that a woman can indeed be yotzei if she hears megillah from a woman.

If women are obligated, why couldn't they be yotzei if a woman reads?

theoneandonly

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:10 am
The issue with women leining is not that women may make mistakes, it is a question of if a woman can be motzi another woman or not. I guess different communities hold differently on that. I personally never heard of women leining, but if your lor is ok with it, then good for you.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:12 am
amother Raspberry wrote:

Not true

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:15 am
amother OP wrote:
Not to bring up a sore topic that was either removed or locked (I couldn't find the thread so I don't know which it is)...

To those women who are skeptical about the ability of other women to read megillah correctly: last night I went to a regular reading by a male baal koreh because it was bad weather and the reading of, by, and for women was further away. I spotted several mistakes in his leining. Small things like reading a kaf instead of a chaf, or a patach instead of a shva. Does this invalidate the reading? Maybe, maybe not. Does it change the meaning of the word? Possibly, possibly not.

The rabbi didn't correct him, so I imagine the errors weren't fatal--or maybe the rabbi's hearing isn't all that good. But they were, nevertheless, inaccuracies. If a woman were to make theose same mistakes, all the ladies here screaming about how a woman can't lein megillah would pounce upon them as proof of their opinion. And even though the melody isn't critical, this baal koreh slurred the trope so you couldn't tell what te'amim he was reading. Again, maybe not fatal, but also something the anti-women's leining crowd would wave aloft as proof that women ought not to be doing this. I should have gone to the women's reading, where the reading is both accurate and melodic.

It's true what they say, a woman has to perform twice as well as a man to be considered half as good.

There reason women can't usually lein is not because of concern of women making mistakes.
So this doesn't prove anything

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:16 am
amother Dandelion wrote:
There reason women can't usually lein is not because of concern of women making mistakes.
So this doesn't prove anything

A woman can't read from a sefer Torah. She can read from a megillah scroll. I'm yeshivish btw. This is just basic halacha.

ftm1234

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:19 am
Are men not allowed to make mistakes anymore??

I don't think I've ever been to a PERFECT reading, the horror Surprised

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:22 am
I have had years where I was in the hospital and read for myself from a megila before. My husband buys the audio for me to listen to to follow along for trop. I have also had years my husband read for me without preparation and I just correct him or read along. As long as majority is read from a kosher megila it’s ok

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:25 am
YU is pretty "centrist" Orthodox. What is their Psak on being Yotzei a woman's Megillah Laining?

feigeleh

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:02 am
It’s clear from the shulchan aruch that women can be motzi other women, the question that is not clear is can they be motzi men.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:28 am
amother Raspberry wrote:

Please excuse my ignorance, but why not?

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:50 am
amother Snowdrop wrote:
Please excuse my ignorance, but why not?

I don't know, it's something I've always known like blowing shofar, leining and chazan etc. I'm surprised to see on here that some say it's ok for ladies to lein Megilla. Wondering if mainstream Rabbanim allow it.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:53 am
ftm1234 wrote:
Are men not allowed to make mistakes anymore??

I don't think I've ever been to a PERFECT reading, the horror Surprised

The problem the double standard.

Woman makes mistake. Response: "See everyone, women can't do it and shouldn't try!"

Man makes mistake. Response: "well duh, nobody is perfect!"

chanatron1000

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:55 am
amother Raspberry wrote:
I don't know, it's something I've always known like blowing shofar, leining and chazan etc. I'm surprised to see on here that some say it's ok for ladies to lein Megilla. Wondering if mainstream Rabbanim allow it.

"Something you've always known" isn't a halachic source, and mainstream Rabbanim don't pasken based on it.

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 12:15 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
"Something you've always known" isn't a halachic source, and mainstream Rabbanim don't pasken based on it.

Did you read my post before replying?
I wrote that I don't know, but it's something I've always known, and added that I wonder if any mainstream Rabbanim allow it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics