Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler Tantrums with Gettting Dressed

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 5:35 am
My husband runs mornings in my house. Today he told me it's just too much getting my 2 year old dressed, it ends up taking 1/2 an hour because he throws such tantrums. Dh doesn't have enough time for it and he's at his wits end.
We need some ideas because I'm not usually around at that time to get him dressed.
Would love to hear what works for other ppl, I'm sure we're not the only ones with this issue!

salt

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 5:48 am
Get him dressed the night before.
Put him to sleep in his clean clothes for the next day.

amother
Raspberry

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 6:02 am
salt wrote:

Yup, came to say this. The best solution for tantrums is to avoid the triggers. He's two, it won't matter if he slept in his clothes the night before.

Monyka02

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 6:03 am
salt wrote:

I wouldn't do that if I was in the situation, the kid won't be able to sleep comfortable enough to get rested most likely.

I would just try to get everything ready right next to where it sleeps and then while he is sleeping/just waking up get him dressed so that he doesn't realise what's going on, it worked on my todler hope it works in your situation too

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 6:39 am
I offer them a breakfast food only after getting dressed so I ask them oh do you want string cheese or fruit etc, but we have to get dressed first.... . I also play music or let them hold toys while getting dressed. I sing songs, tickle, play games etc.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 6:54 am
LovesHashem wrote:
I offer them a breakfast food only after getting dressed so I ask them oh do you want string cheese or fruit etc, but we have to get dressed first.... . I also play music or let them hold toys while getting dressed. I sing songs, tickle, play games etc.

and I make sure they’re fed before I try getting dressed so they’re in a better mood

amother
Catmint

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 6:59 am
I give food to my toddler while getting him dressed. Only way to avoid a tantrum here. Something handheld like a cheese stick.

Frumwithallergies

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 7:14 am
Alternatively, send to playgroup or daycare in nightgown / pyjamas. It worked for my kids!

cuties' mom

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 7:20 am
My kids started picking out their own clothes once they started tantruming. My oldest was a late talker so he couldn't tell me why he insisted on wearing a red shirt with blue pants almost every day when he was 2. It wasn't until he was verbal enough that he told me that all his socks were either red, white, or blue, and he didn't want to wear white socks. I just knew that he started having hysterics is I put something else on him, so by the time he was 2, he was picking out his own clothes.
I also have a rule that we get dressed before breakfast. My younger son was developmentally a toddler (ASD) for many years. During that time, he went through his black pants red shirt stage, brown pants obsession, and pants and shirts must be the same color mishigas. The worst though was his refusal to wear a button down on Shabbos. Since there was no breakfast until after he was dressed, he used to eventually compromise and wear a white polo shirt or a shabbos vest. Some kids actually care about clothing at a young age.

amother
Snow

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 9:29 am
I just send mine to school in pajamas when it's one battle to many. Send a change of clothes in case they decide they want to get dressed.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 9:46 am
What triggers the tantrums? I remember when DD was that age, I gave her a choice between 2 or 3 outfits each morning....and no more tantrums. She was a kid who needed choices at an early age.....

amother
Bergamot

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 9:48 am
My son gets a piece of chocolate if he gets dressed nicely. He loves chocolate, it's a good incentive for him.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics