Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
I’m a size 0 and nothing fits me in the frum stores
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 3:28 pm
I have the opposite problem. I’m 5”5 and a size 0. ( it’s just genetic I promise) You wld think I have endless possibilities and options. Often I go into the stores and try on countless things and walk out with nothing. Many of the things look terrible and cheap and form fitting or like I was swallowed whole. Its embarrassing coming out to look in the mirror with a skirt hanging on me or a sweater that makes me look like I have zero figure or it’s a skirt showing off my whole behind. And I see the person next to me a few sizes bigger looking amazing. If you look in my closet you wld see 95 percent of my clothing is from non Jewish stores as their sizing is so much more accurate and better quality. The clothing the stores sell pretty much only cater to those who are a size 4-8. (Plus you probably need to be a B/C cup not less and not more) I went with a family member once who’s a size 6-8 and she had to buy a size xl top! She’s not size xl! The clothes are way off especially since Covid where fabric and cotton prices increased dramatically. I have clothing hand me down from my kids from 2017 etc Jewish brands. Amazing quality. Now I can’t even buy from those brands. So just putting this out there nothing is wrong with us it’s the clothing.

amother
Blushpink

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 4:08 pm
I also have a hard time buying clothes in frum stores. I’m a 2-4 but a DD cup and my butt is, let’s just say big (but really it’s huge). Most things fit terrible on me.
I always see women that are plus sized trying the things I try and it looks great. Because I have narrow shoulders, most things I need to size up in don’t fit right.

amother
Burntblack

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 4:13 pm
I think you would do well with the brand AdinaLV

I’m like you and find their clothes to be beautiful. They sell in local stores and they have a website

amother
Poinsettia

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 5:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
I have the opposite problem. I’m 5”5 and a size 0. ( it’s just genetic I promise) You wld think I have endless possibilities and options. Often I go into the stores and try on countless things and walk out with nothing. Many of the things look terrible and cheap and form fitting or like I was swallowed whole. Its embarrassing coming out to look in the mirror with a skirt hanging on me or a sweater that makes me look like I have zero figure or it’s a skirt showing off my whole behind. And I see the person next to me a few sizes bigger looking amazing. If you look in my closet you wld see 95 percent of my clothing is from non Jewish stores as their sizing is so much more accurate and better quality. The clothing the stores sell pretty much only cater to those who are a size 4-8. (Plus you probably need to be a B/C cup not less and not more) I went with a family member once who’s a size 6-8 and she had to buy a size xl top! She’s not size xl! The clothes are way off especially since Covid where fabric and cotton prices increased dramatically. I have clothing hand me down from my kids from 2017 etc Jewish brands. Amazing quality. Now I can’t even buy from those brands. So just putting this out there nothing is wrong with us it’s the clothing.
I always wonder why people like you don't buy kids stuff. I'm about size 6-8 and buy the largest size kids.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 5:14 pm
Ellie Makir might be a good fit for you, OP.

amother
Outerspace

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 5:15 pm
I'm a size 4 so should be the perfect size for their clothing but Im not either..

amother
Oleander

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 5:26 pm
I'm sorry it's so hard for you.

I have a hard time too, I'm 4'10" and 150 lbs.

I think it's a very small percentage of women who actually look good in the frum store clothing. They are mostly cut for those who are size 4 or 6 and 5'3" to 5'5".

Will the clothes fit you if you take in? For me, as a matter of course I know I'll have to take up the dress by the shoulders and shorten sleeves (sometimes hem) and only buy if the work seems doable for that dress and it's affordable enough to justify needing that amount of work.

amother
Cognac

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 5:29 pm
amother OP wrote:

I think the clothes are designed for teens and people without curves.

My 0-2 not curvy 18 yo looks great!
My 10-12 not curvy 16 year old looks great as well.

As soon as you have curves you are doomed.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 5:32 pm
"Curvy" has come to be used as a synonym for plus size, but it shouldn't be. Just like sizing, clothes should be made in curvy and less curvy fit.

cnc

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 6:03 pm
amother Poinsettia wrote:
I always wonder why people like you don't buy kids stuff. I'm about size 6-8 and buy the largest size kids.

That only works if you're built and shaped like a kid.

I have a relative with the same problem. Kids clothing and adult clothing don't fit properly. She only fits into XX-SM. Most Jewish stores start at XSM

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 6:08 pm
Ahh yes op. I used to be for many years 5.6 size 0 taken in. It wasn’t fun to shop at all. I was just too thin for the normal brands.
Post babies I went up to size 4 and it’s gotten way easier.
Kids size never fit my height.
Skirt shopping made me cry. And my friends would mock me because well at least I’m skinny. Not complaining, just facts.

amother
Bluebell

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 6:10 pm
amother Blushpink wrote:
I also have a hard time buying clothes in frum stores. I’m a 2-4 but a DD cup and my butt is, let’s just say big (but really it’s huge). Most things fit terrible on me.
I always see women that are plus sized trying the things I try and it looks great. Because I have narrow shoulders, most things I need to size up in don’t fit right.
hey are you me? This is exactly me

amother
DarkYellow

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 6:10 pm
When I was a size 0 and 5'4 I had most of my things taken in for it to look good. I shopped mostly at the mall not jewish brands though. Honestly everything looked good on me then. I have a hard time now finding clothing since I am heavier

amother
Apple

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 6:25 pm
amother Blushpink wrote:

This is me! My boobs are bigger than DD though. What nonfrum stores are you able to shop in and find flattering things?

amother
Green

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 6:42 pm
Same! Was just in a store tried multiple items on an xxs and it was like a m-l was so upset cuz I really wanted it! Bh I have to complain about this. Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 7:48 pm
I used to be able to simply take in some things. But now there’s so many more detailing that’s all wrong. The waistlines are all the way down on so many dresses no one has that long of a stomach. The prices 200-300$ isn’t worth extra tailoring when it has threads coming out all over the place. I know I wld fit in the kids clothing but it has a babyish look I’m older than 30 it won’t work. I can wear my preteens clothing but I look ridiculous. I agree with poster who mentioned ellie makir they have beautiful things but $$ I’ll check out the other website mentioned. I buy from non Jewish brands on sale. Only cropped tops work for me. Sometimes it’ll take 2-3 years before I finally find a black skirt from the Jewish stores that fits just right. The slip dresses sold in the stores are a huge no no! They look terrible on me only for ppl with more of a figure.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 8:37 pm
amother OP wrote:

My daughter is a size 0-2. She’s 5”2 and 95 lbs. She has a big problem finding clothing. Everything hangs on her. Shopping is so frustrating. I’m overweight as I said before, and also have a problem shopping. But even my extremely thin daughter tells me that she’d rather have an issue with clothing as a thin person than an overweight person.
I tell her it might help if she eats lunch everyday… much easier to fit into clothes when you’re a size 4-6.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 8:40 pm
What about udel??? That would probably work for you!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 9:02 pm
amother Brown wrote:
What about udel??? That would probably work for you!

I went in there. Everything fit wrong. The dresses were made for someone 5”7 or taller and the waist was so low down plus the sleeves are so so tight I cldnt get my very thin arms in properly. Pretty things though.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 9:03 pm
I don’t have this issue at all with expensive designers. I can wear the size 0 they put on the runway with no problem just minus the height issue.

Realistically I can’t only buy couture dresses to look good.. I’m on the lower end of middle class way out of my budget. Not sure why the frum stores can’t figure out their sizing once and for all.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics