Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Am I cut out for this???

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 10:00 pm
I work with little kids and big kids. About five years ago, I started teaching half day in a high school . And I love teaching !!! I love giving over the material (which I enjoy), love the girls' feedback and interest, etc.. but... I have trouble with classroom management.
I don't want to out which school I work in, but happens to be in this particular culture the girls are more outspoken. They talk more. Very respectful overall, but they don't realize not to talk on class. It's a problem.
Now I know some teachers have respect and quiet and some don't. But lately I've been so frustrated that I am doubting if I am in the right field.
How do I know if it's me or them??? Should I try to get a job elsewhere? (Also not so easy to find so many periods in another school, so possibly can't even find to do it elsewhere). I really like this school, the environment is great, but the classes are tough to teach... I don't know what to do!!

amother
Chestnut

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 10:02 pm
What subject do you teach

mushkamothers

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 10:04 pm
Isn't the obvious answer to learn classroom management...?
(I taught high school)

socialbutterfly

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 10:06 pm
It takes time to adjust to a new demographic. Don't write it off. It sounds like this could be your thing!

I'd say to work on the classroom management aspect. It will take some trial and error until you find a style that works for you.

By the way, the chattiness in class is really across the board. You'll find it everywhere!!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 10:07 pm
I teach math/science

I've tried books and videos on classroom management.
I have a great relationship with the girls
They like me but don't respect me enough.

amother
Wandflower

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 10:23 pm
My school offered an experienced mentor to come in and observe me occasionally during my first year in that school. I was coming in with experience and I didn't think I'd need it. But she gave me so much and helped me see patterns like the fact that I wasn't following through so the students learned that they could ignore me. She also helped me tighten up my lessons so that the girls were constantly being challenged and there wasn't as much dead time for them to start schmoozing.

amother
Wandflower

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 10:24 pm
If the girls like you, you are already ahead of 40% of the high school teachers out there.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 10:25 pm
amother Wandflower wrote:
My school offered an experienced mentor to come in and observe me occasionally during my first year in that school. I was coming in with experience and I didn't think I'd need it. But she gave me so much and helped me see patterns like the fact that I wasn't following through so the students learned that they could ignore me. She also helped me tighten up my lessons so that the girls were constantly being challenged and there wasn't as much dead time for them to start schmoozing.

That's great! I actually had a coach the summer before last but she focused on my math class and the following year was a really really tough class and wtvr... Complicated situation.

Any suggestions how I can get tips? Books etc?

amother
Wandflower

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 10:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
That's great! I actually had a coach the summer before last but she focused on my math class and the following year was a really really tough class and wtvr... Complicated situation.

Any suggestions how I can get tips? Books etc?

Books can't hurt. Teach like a champion is great. But really you need to do it with a mentor or at least a chavrusa. Is there another teacher you can read the book with and discuss?

mushkamothers

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 10:31 pm
Smart classroom management .com

My friend mushkie is an amazing educator and she has resources on IG and via email
Evergrowingeducator.com
Btw she does school workshops and a lot of schools have funding to put towards that. In general ask your principal about PD opportunities

amother
Chestnut

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 8:04 am
Have the girls themselves prepare and teach the classroom
This can work really well in science but can also work in math

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 5:59 pm
amother Chestnut wrote:
Have the girls themselves prepare and teach the classroom
This can work really well in science but can also work in math

Almost done curriculum but maybe for review.
Ty

amother
Honey

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 6:31 pm
I taught high school three years and it was disaster. I tried so hard. Nobody appreciated my efforts. I was paid pennies for so much work and heartache. I started tutoring and love it. Everyone is made for different stuff

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 6:43 pm
amother Honey wrote:
I taught high school three years and it was disaster. I tried so hard. Nobody appreciated my efforts. I was paid pennies for so much work and heartache. I started tutoring and love it. Everyone is made for different stuff

thanks for commiserating!
I actually tutor, too, and it's great. usually don't have to worry about misbehavior and can sometimes have a great kesher with the kids.
but that doesn't quite work out for an afternoon job.
I used to do small p3 groups but wasn't great, girls not so interested as not a regents subject.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics