Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Help me plan trip to Canada from NY

bzmommy

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 11:12 am
Planning a summer trip with 6 kids ages 4 months to 12 years old . Will be driving from ny and planning to make a stop halfway somewhere in between to sleep at hotel for the night and do an activity or visit a place there too . Then drive up next day into Canada, by Niagara Falls . Thinking to stay shabbos too but don’t know where n what and would like to bring as less things as possible as the stroller will be taking up lots of space in trunk . Thinking just cy items, meat/chicken /fish and buy fresh produce/eggs as we go.
Any ideas or if anyone can help with an itinerary would be amazing !!

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 11:25 am
Stopping half way there would probably be around Syracuse. There is a great mall with lots of activities; Destiny Mall and there is a hotel right across the street from the mall.
Closer to Niagara is the Museum of Play, it is supposed to be fantastic, it is in Rochester NY.

doctorima

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 11:34 am
Another vote for the Strong Museum of Play in Rochester - fantastic!! Other options for the way up or back are Ausable Chasm, Lake George, Watkins Glen (beautiful short hike), and in Scranton you have the Lackawanna Mine tour and Steamboat National Historic Site.

For Niagara, Chabad's website has tons of valuable info: https://www.jewishniagara.com/

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 11:37 am
It your travelling in late august make sure to stop in Syracuse at the Great NY State Fair

amother
Papayawhip

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 11:52 am
We did this from Maryland this past summer with kids ages 6-20.

We did a ton of research. There isn't much to do midway between us and Canada other than Scranton, but everything closed earlyish and that we wouldn't make it.

We really enjoyed the animal preserve near binghamton (a bit out of the way, but worth it). We did some hikes. Watkins Glen was on our itinerary but we ran out of time. We did corning, niagra (both sides). Our trip was Sun-Wed and we did feel a bit rushed.

We had 2 coolers filled with everything we'd need. We brought raw cutlets, hot dogs and a george foreman and portable grill. We brought a dairy sandwich maker to make grilled cheese, etc. Yogurts, tuna, already cooked noodles and hard boiled eggs, bread, etc for lunch. Veggies and fruit for the road and meals.

We made the mistake of winging it with the sleeping. We thought we'd drive part and then stop mostly toward our next day trip. One night we drove to 3 or 4 different places before we got the last 2 room in a motel. The next night we made sure to reserve in advance.

bzmommy

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 12:19 pm
Thanks for responding
Will look into these places
How about things to do in Canada with kids?
Which hotels large enough for family ? Want to avoid getting a second room as I prefer to know kids are in sight n not worry in my sleep about them lol

patzer

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 1:02 pm
If you'll be near Niagara in the summer, I love the Eerie Canal cruise in Lockport, NY.
It's about a half-hour drive from Niagara. It's a 2-hour cruise down the Erie Canal; you'll ride through the only set of double locks on the canal. It's a really unique and fun experience.
As far as hotels: I stayed last summer at the Oakes hotel in Canada and loved it! I paid a fortune for a room with a view of the falls and it was worth every last penny. Smile

gdgirl

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 2:29 pm
with kids of those ages, if you need two rooms your best bet is adjoining rooms. otherwise you need to split up some with you and some with your husband as they shouldnt be alone. obviously not preferred but sometimes there is no choice. I have found that family friendly areas may have suites that fit 8 but in many areas it is hard to find. Im sorry I dont have a specific recommendation. hatzalcha.
I will say its nice to simply visit the falls at night.. light up scooters are great for keeping tabs on kids and their legs not getting tired..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics