Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kashrus shaila in the middle of cooking a meal
1  2  Next

Seraph

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:07 am
what do u do when u have a kashrus shaila in the middle of cooking your family's supper and the rav isnt available by phone?

cassandra

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:13 am
I rely on my own best understanding of the situation (once you know a few basic kashrus principles it isn't hard) or if it's a unique situation I will look it up in sefer. My rabbi's pretty accessible to me though.

(When my sister and some friends are in that situation they call me, and I'll answer them if I know it's a matter of straight halacha and not something that could go in different ways. I'm kind of like their yoetzet kashrut.)

Clarissa

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:14 am
Sometimes I google and sometimes I ask my husband, who will tell me what his mother would have done, if he knows it.

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:18 am
If noones home look up a rav who has hours then in the newcomers guide and try calling one of them. (obviously not any name but names that are under badatz etc. or I've heard of as a posek) In desperation I have called my father or brother. My husband was usually unreachable during those times- but I guess I would have asked him if he was around.

Seraph

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:20 am
ok, so maybe its actually a cut and dry halacha.
I used a milchig taam pagum knife to cut an onion and then put it in a fleishig taam pagum food processor.
is the onion treif? is my food processor treif? what if I mixed it already with the rest of my food- do I have to throw it all out?
if its not treif, what can I cook it in? milchig? fleishig? can I mix it with milchigs?

I'm not really looking for a psak. I'm trying to reach the rav still. but what would u say u think is the answer?

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:22 am
YIKES! You cut a milchig onion with a fleishig knife. It doesn't sound good. I would make sandwiches for dinner and wait until the Rav is available.

Seraph

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:26 am
yea. I hate it when he's not available... what can I do that he has a life as well?

oh... I never used the food processor for hot fleishigs. only cold. so thats probably better off...

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:27 am
Yeah it's better that it was never used for hot. Good luck!

drumjj

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:28 am
whats a taam pagum knife I will ask my husband

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:29 am
sounds really complicated. 1st question is the knife really milchig- did you ever use it to cut hot milchigs? If it is I'm not sure what you mean by taam pagum, the onions sharpness will bring out the old flavor... so if the knife is really milchigs, your onion would be a milchig onion afaik.

2. Is the food processor really flaishig, did you put hot flaishigs - inside (or even maybe something sharp you cut with a flaishig knife?)

If 1 and 2 are true I would think the onion is traife, and the food processor I would think a rav would tell you to kasher it and not to eat the onion- but what do I know, I'm just guessing, anyways don't know if it even can be kashered.

I'm no rav and not that knowledgable - let us know what the rav said.

drumjj

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:30 am
whhat food did u mix it with ?

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:30 am
Would it matter if you cut off the piece of onion that had touched the milchig knife?

drumjj

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:31 am
my husband siad bdieved u can use it all and the food has no status if the knife that was milky was clean when u cut open the onion

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:32 am
shock drumjj

The onion was sharp -- I even learned that you shouldn't eat such an onion if you are flaishig.

drumjj

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:33 am
my husband is a rav who poseks all the time. I said bedieved and I read him the post and that is what he said.

Seraph

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:45 am
YESHASettler wrote:
Would it matter if you cut off the piece of onion that had touched the milchig knife?
in this case, I didnt. I used the knife to cut the onion to smaller peices to fit into the food processor and already chopped it up.

drumjj- can u clarify? if the knife was clean, as was the food processor, the onion is fine bidieved as is the food processor?
can I mix the onion with milchig stuff?

Seraph

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:46 am
Aidelmom wrote:
shock drumjj

The onion was sharp -- I even learned that you shouldn't eat such an onion if you are flaishig.
I just learned that you cant eat it together with fleishigs, but not that its actually milchig. similar status to something cooked in a milchig pot.

Akeres Habayis

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:52 am
what about Rav S?he's not available??
maybe ask C.K.'s dh at least until u get an answer from the rav.
hatzlacha

Seraph

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:59 am
Akeres Habayis wrote:
what about Rav S?he's not available??
maybe ask C.K.'s dh at least until u get an answer from the rav.
hatzlacha
I was calling my other rav. rav s is in america, as is rav k. but asking ck's husband.

and he said its ok. yay!!

Clarissa

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 12:05 pm
Okay, now you've got me wondering about something. If I make a pareve meal in dairy pots, and my family has eaten a fleishig lunch the next day. Is it okay for them to eat some of the meal I made, or do they have to wait, as if it's dairy?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen