Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Smelly washing machine

Beauticianista

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:15 am
I can't for the life of me figure out what is going on with my washing machine. Lately (the past few weeks I would say) there's been a terrible smell coming out of it. It smells sort of like schimmel (ya know, something that stayed wet too long...sorry I dont' know how to spell Yinglish Very Happy )I've tried 2 cycles of just plain detergent and bleach, I figured maybe that would get the smell out, but it didn't.

Anybody ever have this or know what it could be, and if so how to get rid of it?

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:18 am
leave some vinegar in the washing machine and close it. Then you can even leave it in when you do your next load. Every time after that, leave the washing machine open so it can dry in between cycles.

greenfire

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:20 am
or try a cycle with baking soda ...

could there be a dead mouse underneath ... What

Dini

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:22 am
are u sure that its coming from the machine and not from something next to that you can't see? I never had it but maybe you can try to run a hot machine with loads of baking soda or vinager. I know the baking soda gets the bad smell out of my towels on a hot machine.

ny_ima

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:25 am
Musty smells are caused from mold. Run your washing machine with hot water and lots of bleach added and it will kill the mold, thus eliminating the musty smell.

You can also use 1.5 cups vinegar in empty load and run it thru. (or add some vinegar to each wash, doesnt leave the wash smelling like salad! but gets rid of that smell)

if this doesnt work, u have to take apart the agitator/spinner or the filter and wash it well: u'll see grime on it...

Beauticianista

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:31 am
Thanks for the advice all of you, I've tried an empty load with bleach and detergent which didn't help, but maybe I just didn't use enough. I think I'm gonna try the baking soda idea, or the vinegar. And Dini, I'm pretty sure it's the washing machine as when it's closed it isn't THAT bad.

Dini

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:35 am
I hope that you can get the odor out it must be horrible!

Beauticianista

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:41 am
Dini wrote:
I hope that you can get the odor out it must be horrible!

"Horrible" is a really nice way of putting it Puke
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry