Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Shein lead in clothing?
1  2  Next

challah58

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:40 pm
Is this still a concern? I've bought a couple things for myself there in the past, but was just about to buy some baby and toddler clothing for the first time. I was looking for some sizing info online and came across a bunch of articles about finding high levels of lead in their clothing. They're all from a couple years ago and I can't find any relevant info from today. Anyone know if this is happening still or if they've at least claimed to have addressed it? I also can't figure out whether lead poisoning is even a concern from clothing and what these articles consider high levels to be...

ectomorph

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:44 pm
Anything from China is a lead concern!

amother
Viola

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:55 pm
I avoid Ali, shein and temu cuz of toxin concerns

giftedmom

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:58 pm
How are yall so sure there aren’t toxin concerns with regular brands? 99% is made in China.

baked ziti

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:59 pm
amother Viola wrote:

Same. It's just not worth the risk.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 2:02 pm
giftedmom wrote:
How are yall so sure there aren’t toxin concerns with regular brands? 99% is made in China.

There are, but regular brands are subject to lawsuits. They will do their best to protect themselves from a lead poisoning lawsuit. Chinese knockoffs are not accountable for any second order effects. They just change the name and continue selling.

synthy

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 2:03 pm
amother Viola wrote:
Them you should avoid 99.99% if Amazon too

synthy

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 2:05 pm
ectomorph wrote:
There are, but regular brands are subject to lawsuits. They will do their best to protect themselves from a lead poisoning lawsuit. Chinese knockoffs are not accountable for any second order effects. They just change the name and continue selling.
Clothing isn’t legally required to be tested for lead or other toxins, only kids items. And speaking from experience as someone who works in e-commerce, it can take a while until Amazon decides to ask you for lab results even in like baby cups.

baked ziti

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 2:12 pm
That's why I don't order clothing, baby stuff, or even toys from random Amazon brands. I only buy known brands.

giftedmom

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 2:16 pm
I mean Frum brands all manufacture in China. You think they all test them for chemicals?

amother
Poppy

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 2:20 pm
I once got a message from Amazon that a specific swimsuit I had ordered like 2 years prior was recalled. I was offered to return it if still applicable.

I was wondering what that was about. Still am.

synthy

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 2:26 pm
giftedmom wrote:
I mean Frum brands all manufacture in China. You think they all test them for chemicals?
They 100% don’t.

synthy

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 2:26 pm
amother Poppy wrote:
I once got a message from Amazon that a specific swimsuit I had ordered like 2 years prior was recalled. I was offered to return it if still applicable.

I was wondering what that was about. Still am.
Kids or adults?

amother
Poppy

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 2:32 pm
synthy wrote:
Kids or adults?

Kids.

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 2:33 pm
Almost everything is produced in China. You think Carters, Target and Walmart baby clothing is safer?
I don't think so.

But many Shein clothes do have a strong odor. Maybe because it didn't have a chance to air out like the clothes hanging in the stores? I just wash it out before wearing.

I did recently order a denim jumper for my daughter and it has a really really strong smell, not sure what it is. I only washed it once. I'll have to try a few more times.

challah58

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 2:55 pm
Hmm thanks for all the info. I guess I probably won't go for it this time. I'm a little disappointed since my cart looked really cute but not too upset cuz I didn't expect the best quality anyways Wink

amother
Viola

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 3:02 pm
amother Beige wrote:
Almost everything is produced in China. You think Carters, Target and Walmart baby clothing is safer?
I don't think so.

But many Shein clothes do have a strong odor. Maybe because it didn't have a chance to air out like the clothes hanging in the stores? I just wash it out before wearing.

I did recently order a denim jumper for my daughter and it has a really really strong smell, not sure what it is. I only washed it once. I'll have to try a few more times.
Target and carters have GOTS certification on a lot of their fabrics

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 5:29 pm
How does the lead get in the clothing? What process are they skipping or what are they adding to their clothing, and for what purpose?

amother
Snowflake

Post Sat, Mar 30 2024, 4:50 pm
amother Seafoam wrote:
How does the lead get in the clothing? What process are they skipping or what are they adding to their clothing, and for what purpose?

From what I've read, lead is found mostly in fabrics with shiny or glittery effects and in plastic-like coated materials with waterproof layers like winter coats. And in shoes. It's cheap colorings and coatings that contain heavy metals.

Ordinary plain fabric with no special effects is less likely to contain lead.
However it can still contain large amounts of other harmful chemicals, like formaldehyde.

When I order things from Shein, I wash them at least 3 cycles before I start wearing them, to reduce the smell and get the chemicals out.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Mar 30 2024, 8:45 pm
amother Snowflake wrote:
From what I've read, lead is found mostly in fabrics with shiny or glittery effects and in plastic-like coated materials with waterproof layers like winter coats. And in shoes. It's cheap colorings and coatings that contain heavy metals.

Ordinary plain fabric with no special effects is less likely to contain lead.
However it can still contain large amounts of other harmful chemicals, like formaldehyde.

When I order things from Shein, I wash them at least 3 cycles before I start wearing them, to reduce the smell and get the chemicals out.

Ok I get that they're using dyes made of cheap harmful chemicals and that's the biggest issue.
What is the purpose of formaldehyde in clothing production?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics