Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Food processor (Hamilton Beach or other, at bingo)
1  2  3  Next

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 12:54 pm
Saw a Hamilton Beach 10 cup food processor on sale at bingo. Went on Amazon to look for reviews, details, price comparison, and the ones on Amazon don't look at all like the bingo one. One looks similar and a little lower priced, one looks different and a little higher. All within the same range so at that point I'd just want what works best.

"Kugel blade" (bingo) is not a big selling point for me because I'm fine with regular shredding and don't make kugel often anyway.

Large tube for putting in veggies to slice without having to trim them down much is a selling point. (One of the Amazon ones advertises this but I don't know how big the difference is)

Strength of motor/blade are important because I'll be using this for Pesach horseradish. That's the main reason I want it, and would just by the way make kugel and cole slaw once I have it already.

Last edited by seeker on Wed, Apr 17 2024, 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 12:56 pm
They make a variety of 10 C ones.
One has a French fry blade that I returned, the motor wasn't great. The one with the kugel blade I've seen on Walmart and I've been using mine for years. I sold off my 14 C Cuisinart which was just too heavy for me to want to use...

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:00 pm
Cuisinart starts at almost 3x the price of any of these so that's not gonna be a thing but good to know.

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:06 pm
Hm, Walmart has the one that says "big mouth" for $45 and one that looks like the same idea but not exactly the same as the bingo one for $40 - Hamilton Beach 10-Cup Food Processor with Compact Storage (70760) https://www.walmart.com/ip/15183831
The bingo one is $50 currently on sale, seems like usually $60.

Hmmmm.

cbg

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:16 pm
Return policy is a biggy for me

I like Hamilton Beach because the shredded potatoe doesn’t come out mush

avimom

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:31 pm
I have the Hamilton Beach for pesach and it's fine for that

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:42 pm
Yes all 3 of the ones I'm looking at are Hamilton Beach. The question is which one to buy.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 2:01 pm
Can you find out the motor on the bingo? I'm seeing 450 and 500 options on Walmart...

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 3:02 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Can you find out the motor on the bingo? I'm seeing 450 and 500 options on Walmart...

Bingo one says 500.
Not sure if 450 vs 500 is a meaningful difference.
All the ones I'm looking at are 10 cups.

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 7:15 pm
K bingo sale ends tonight and I'm still not so decided... I thought I was going to get it as a tried and true because the Walmart ones are more of an unknown to me personally despite getting good reviews. But then I found the white one on Amazon (not for sale anymore but product page still there) and the reviews are pretty eh. Several people's broke. Not sure what to think now...

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 7:20 pm
I'm down to:
Bingo because familiar and kugel blade.
Walmart $40 one because it seems like the same thing cheaper and I don't really need the kugel blade, we're ok with chunky kugel. Plus I don't need to leave home to buy it.

mamaleh

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 7:31 pm
seeker wrote:
K bingo sale ends tonight and I'm still not so decided... I thought I was going to get it as a tried and true because the Walmart ones are more of an unknown to me personally despite getting good reviews. But then I found the white one on Amazon (not for sale anymore but product page still there) and the reviews are pretty eh. Several people's broke. Not sure what to think now...

Bingo sale was extended till 4/9 (as per email I just got & a manager in the store)

Smile1234

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 7:53 pm
I bought this one one from Walmart and hated it. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ham.....c52b0

I felt like it wasn’t strong and it was sooooo loud!

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 8:08 pm
mamaleh wrote:
Bingo sale was extended till 4/9 (as per email I just got & a manager in the store)

Good to know, thanks.
I has decided to go with the internet because I was too busy and tired to get out.

Now that I broadened my shopping to the Internet I'm in a rabbit hole of reviews and getting even more tired. Can't Believe It

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 8:09 pm
Smile1234 wrote:
I bought this one one from Walmart and hated it. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ham.....c52b0

I felt like it wasn’t strong and it was sooooo loud!

Oy. Thank you for sharing your experience. This actually looks really similar to the kugel one, with the dial and the shape.

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 8:32 pm
Anyway in case anyone is still interested, here's where my shopping is holding:

Hamilton Beach rates as the best budget processor on pretty much every review website. However, the problem is that they don't all rank the same model - but it's usually one of these 2:

Hamilton Beach Stack & Snap Food Processor and Vegetable Chopper, BPA Free, Stainless Steel Blades, 12 Cup Bowl, 2-Speed 450 Watt Motor, Black (70725A) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K.....ss_tl
Pro: larger capacity (12 c), Says the feed tube is bigger which is a meaningful difference though I don't see specific measurements so I don't know if it is really bigger than the others.
Con: bigger and heavier, and I will need to stash it away during the year. And I'm skeptical about the durability and convenience of this "stack and snap" system. I had no beef with the usual twist on method. Some reviews say it has parts that are hard to clean.

Hamilton Beach Food Processor & Vegetable Chopper for Slicing, Shredding, Mincing, and Puree, 10 Cups + Easy Clean Bowl Scraper, Black and Stainless Steel (70730) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008.....ss_tl
Pro: gets recommended a lot, but maybe just for being cheap because it's the "budget pick" recommendation? The bowl scraper seems like an excellent feature, more companies should do this, it's so annoying to always have to open and scrape food processors in middle of using.
Con: scraper thing looks maybe flimsy - more moving parts is generally a liability in this kind of appliance. Smaller bowl than the other one. Looks like it has the same harder to clean shape as the first one.

So between the internet's top 2, it's a contest between larger vs bowl scraper. If I come to a decision before the winds change, the prices are about the same (the larger one is usually more but is on sale. Do you get what you pay for?)

Then, veering away from the top 10 lists, we have

Hamilton Beach 10-Cup Food Processor with Compact Storage (70760) https://www.walmart.com/ip/15183831
Pro: looks similar to the kugel one a lot of people like. Does not have the finicky hard to clean shape. Compact, apparently can be stored with the lid upside down though unclear whether the slicer fits inside too? Compact storage doesn't seem to be a selling point for the "top 10" ones. Also this is the cheapest currently but again they're all close enough. 500 watts while the others are 450, not sure if 50w makes a meaningful difference.
Con: seems a little obscure, maybe there's a reason it's not as popular or well known. Does not have the advantages of the others re size or scraper. Cumulative star reviews are meh (4 stars) but there just aren't that many reviews to average out and some are kind of random.

And finally, the famous kugel blade one
Pro: well, kugel blade. Seems like the same one I know people who have and like. Pretty compact and easy to clean. 500 watts.
Con: Lowest average Amazon reviews out of all options (though like the previous one, it's a little obscure and doesn't have been quality reviews overall). only buyable from a place with basically no return policy.

Cannot make sense of these options, why do they not just make one best thing?!

In summary, the options are:
1. Bigger and featured in many "top picks" articles.
2. Cool bowl scraper gizmo and also recommended a lot.
3. Compact and easy to clean.
4. Popular in frum circles and grates kugel.

Send help

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 9:18 pm
Next update:
Skimming Amazon reviews it seems a lot of people are not happy with option #1. Parts don't clean well, slicing/shredding isn't the best and that's one of the main things I need. So #1 is out.

#2 people seem a lot happier. Except also a lot of people had lemons that smoked. But it seems that happens within the first couple of uses so you know if you got a lemon in time to return it. Though I did see some say that the scraper isn't so amazing, and that was one of the selling points for me... Though the overall good reviews are also a biggie. It has a hard to clean bit but not as bad as the first one.

The other two don't have enough online reviews to get a similar summary. So that's sad. Compact and easy to clean are big pluses but I would love to have reviews to assess whether people are happy with the functionality.

stardream

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 9:47 pm
Thanks for posting this! I wanted the 12c Hamilton Beach for pesach and the amazon link you posted is on sale now. Thanks!

I have it for year round for a few years and I think it's fine though I don't use it very frequently. The part that is hard to clean doesn't touch the food/actual container but it is unpleasant. For me it's not a deal breaker and it's much cheaper than the braun. I like the 12 cup capacity and frequently fill it up so that was the deciding factor for me.

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 12:57 am
Seeker, thanks so much for putting in so much time for all this research. You definitely saved mine! So was not for naught Smile and I’ll bentch you Hashem should compensate your time with a bracha in it!

I would still love to get the Braun, because then I can get away with not getting an additional juicer and mixer. (For the few little things I need to whisk etc).
But doesn’t look like Braun is in the budget now, so I think I’ll go with the above.

Thanks again!

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 1:10 am
Seeker, did you see any of these?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nut.....=true

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ham.....=true
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars