Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
If you don’t have a pesach kitchen-& you’re having guests…
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 1:13 pm
When do you start cooking?
I wish I can start but my kids will be so upset if the kitchen is pesachdik for weeks before.
I do set up a chometz station outside the kitchen but it gets a little hard especially with washing up.
They can handle it for around a week but it’s not fair to me to have to cook for so many people, so many meals in one week.
What are you doing?

yOungM0mmy

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 1:19 pm
I always cook a big pot of soup, some rice, cake etc before I turn over, to last a few days being warmed up in the chometz microwave. This year I'm cooking shabbos before as well. I'm going to kosher on Wednesday night, so have enough time to cook but not an extra week of pesach food.

Highstrung

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 1:19 pm
I will turn my kitchen over Thursday night and will cook Pesachdig Shabbos. Sunday will be a big cooking day . If I need more time then I’ll turn over the kitchen on Wednesday before Shabbos Hagadol.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 1:49 pm
A week before.
You can do it in a week or less if you plan your menu carefully and take shortcuts.

hodeez

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 1:51 pm
Day before/day of

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 1:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
I wish I can start but my kids will be so upset if the kitchen is pesachdik for weeks before.
I do set up a chometz station outside the kitchen but it gets a little hard especially with washing up.
They can handle it for around a week but it’s not fair to me to have to cook for so many people, so many meals in one week.
What are you doing?

I start cooking a few days before. I cook my mains (chicken or meat) during the day and overnight. That makes 4 main dishes in two days. I keep it simple. 1 main, 2 kugels, and veggies. Desserts are sorbet, cake or cookies. 1 soup, 1 type of fish.

How many people are you cooking for?

amother
IndianRed

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 2:01 pm
I do most of my cooking on YT so its fresh anyways

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 7:24 pm
I would never want to spend more than a week cooking, regardless of the chometz-free hassle. What's there to make already?

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 7:31 pm
A week is plenty of time so long as you keep things simple. Stay away from recipes that are really complicated. Don't feel the need to overdo the amounts of side dishes and desserts.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 7:58 pm
Thursday we plan on switching over. Shabbos is late and I'll probably get stuff done on Friday.
Motzei Shabbos iyh I'll overnight meat for the first days at minimum if not the whole YT.
Sunday and Monday whatever is left. I would like this year to try to do as much as I can for second days in advance due to the way they fall out. But we'll see. I'm into simple recipes...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 8:13 pm
I’m surprised that so many people are not stressed out like I am. I find that once I turn over I’m stuck in the kitchen literally until yomtov starts. And I’m back on chol hamoed. I just feel like it’s too much for me. I would love to spread out the cooking over a few weeks so I don’t feel like I’m collapsing on erev yomtov.
I don’t make anything fancy.
I start off with a big pot of soup. The hard part is dividing it into containers after it cools off for lots of different meals.
Then I make a whole bunch of potato kugels. That definitely takes a lot of time. We use a lot. My kids are picky and that’s something they like.
I make homemade Gefilte fish with homemade Chrain and mayonnaise.
A few roasts, some chicken, schnitzel..
Cakes , parve ice cream, sorbet
Apple kugel
That’s probably it.
On yomtov I have to figure out sides…
And of course there’s Chulent for shabbos
Chol hamoed meals
It’s really kitchen non stop and I’m not doing elaborate.
I use to make other things but over the years my family became more fussy so I don’t even bother. Sometimes I see a recipe printed and I want to try it.
I just wish I could start. It’s so hard when I’m stressed about the food and my kids are complaining that they’re hungry.

daredevil

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 8:43 pm
Can the kids help peel the potatoes and apples instead of complaining they're hungry?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 8:47 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m surprised that so many people are not stressed out like I am. I find that once I turn over I’m stuck in the kitchen literally until yomtov starts. And I’m back on chol hamoed. I just feel like it’s too much for me. I would love to spread out the cooking over a few weeks so I don’t feel like I’m collapsing on erev yomtov.
I don’t make anything fancy.
I start off with a big pot of soup. The hard part is dividing it into containers after it cools off for lots of different meals.
Then I make a whole bunch of potato kugels. That definitely takes a lot of time. We use a lot. My kids are picky and that’s something they like.
I make homemade Gefilte fish with homemade Chrain and mayonnaise.
A few roasts, some chicken, schnitzel..
Cakes , parve ice cream, sorbet
Apple kugel
That’s probably it.
On yomtov I have to figure out sides…
And of course there’s Chulent for shabbos
Chol hamoed meals
It’s really kitchen non stop and I’m not doing elaborate.
I use to make other things but over the years my family became more fussy so I don’t even bother. Sometimes I see a recipe printed and I want to try it.
I just wish I could start. It’s so hard when I’m stressed about the food and my kids are complaining that they’re hungry.

Can you set up a table with disposable tablecloth in a non food room with the pesach food processor? When the house is clean. When the kids aren't home or in bed.

Make the parve ice cream. Make the sorbet.
Make the gefilte fish batter and freeze the rolls.

I assume you don't freeze the chrain, mayo, sliced apple for kugel, otherwise I would tell you to get a head start on any of those as well.

You'll feel good crossing things off your list.

And definitely start shopping for things like salt, sugar, cocoa, oil, parchment paper, silver foil, paper goods, foil pans, containers. Start stockpiling.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 8:54 pm
I never divide up soup. I make a big pot and use it for both night meals of the first days and make a new batch the second days (and Shabbos if applicable)
I would much rather make soup 2-3 times than divide it.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 9:01 pm
amother Topaz wrote:
I would never want to spend more than a week cooking, regardless of the chometz-free hassle. What's there to make already?

Vegetable kugel, apple kugel, potato kugel, broccoli kugel, applesauce, fried onions, dips, cakes and cookies, soups and meat... lukshen, matzah balls, salmon, gefilte fish...

Since you asked...

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 9:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
What are you doing?

I will kasher my kitchen Monday night before Pesach (meaning a week before) and then I’ll do my shopping Wednesday and Thursday and start cooking as soon as I can. We do a lot of grilling so there won’t be a TON of cooking for do, but there will still be enough. I need sides, other options besides meat….

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 9:13 pm
amother Linen wrote:
Vegetable kugel, apple kugel, potato kugel, broccoli kugel, applesauce, fried onions, dips, cakes and cookies, soups and meat... lukshen, matzah balls, salmon, gefilte fish...

Since you asked...

Yum! Of all those I make Potato Kugel, soup, meat and salmon (and also chicken and baked vegetables). Apple kugel a bonus if I have time.
Other than that we eat fresh salads and fruits.
Oh, and hard-boiled eggs!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 9:14 pm
hodeez wrote:
Day before/day of

How many people are you cooking for?
Does anyone help you?
What do you cook?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 9:34 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Can you set up a table with disposable tablecloth in a non food room with the pesach food processor? When the house is clean. When the kids aren't home or in bed.

Make the parve ice cream. Make the sorbet.
Make the gefilte fish batter and freeze the rolls.

I assume you don't freeze the chrain, mayo, sliced apple for kugel, otherwise I would tell you to get a head start on any of those as well.

You'll feel good crossing things off your list.

And definitely start shopping for things like salt, sugar, cocoa, oil, parchment paper, silver foil, paper goods, foil pans, containers. Start stockpiling.

Good idea to start with using a folding table but I need a sink to wash everything up.
I have to think about it… maybe I can use bottled water?
(You can freeze Chrain btw , not mayonnaise)
I will start with making an online grocery order though.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 9:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
Good idea to start with using a folding table but I need a sink to wash everything up.
I have to think about it… maybe I can use bottled water?
(You can freeze Chrain btw , not mayonnaise)
I will start with making an online grocery order though.

Can you wash everything up in the bathroom or laundry room?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics