Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Tragedy in Williamsburg
1  2  Next

brooklyn

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 4:09 pm
Williamsburg: Child R”L Killed After Falling Down Elevator Shaft
August 19, 2008
9:30AM EST: (UPDATE IN EXTENDED STORY) A tragic incident has just occurred in Williamsburg, when a 9-year-old child R”L fell down an elevator shaft, YWN has learned.

Credible sources tell YWN that the child pressed the button at 70 Clymer Street for the elevator, the door opened, and he stepped into the empty shaft - plunging 11 stories.

Hatzolah Paramedics tried to save his life, and he was transported to Brooklyn Hospital in traumatic arrest. Sadly he was R”L pronounced dead a few minutes after arriving at the hospital.

Boruch Dayan Emmes…

UPDATE 1:00PM EST: CBS2 HD reports the following: A 5-year-old boy has died after falling down an elevator shaft, CBS 2 HD has learned.

The incident occurred at 70 Clymer Street in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn just before 9 a.m. Tuesday morning.

Two brothers being babysat by their 14-year-old sister got on the elevator to head to school. But between the 10th and 11th floors the elevator became stuck and the doors began to rattle.

The 8-year-old pressed a button and the doors opened. Then the doors on the 10th floor opened as well. That’s when the 5-year-old victim jumped out of the elevator.

Residents of the Tyler White Housing complex have had problems with the elevator before.

“We have gotten stuck a lot, this is not the first time something like this has happened,” said resident Pessie Gelb.

“They have constant breakdowns that are constantly being complaint about by the tenants but there is just no funding for overhalls,” said Solomon Lieser, President of the Tenants Association.

When the 5-year-old jumped out of the stuck elevator he landed on the partially visible 10th floor, but lost his balance. He then fell back and down the elevator shaft to his death.

“He was a special, special little boy, a good boy, very good hearted. He was very good with my child,” said Gelb.

(YW-104 / YW-112 / YW-170 / YW-88)

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 4:11 pm
TWO CHILDREN DIED IN THE SAME ELEVATOR SHAFT????????????????????????

Tehilla

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 4:13 pm
how wretchedly horrible. Baruch Dayan HaEmes.

ad mosai.

bubby

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 4:13 pm
No, B"H the brother survived. What a terrible tragedy, piled on a summer of tragedies involving young people. Ad Mosai??

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 4:14 pm
The article first says a 9 year old child died and then a 5 year old child died....

Mrs. XYZ

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 4:15 pm
oy, oy, so sad. Sad

Seems there are 2 versions to the story.

square_peg

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 12:01 am
This really makes me mad
http://wcbstv.com/local/brookl......html
watch the clip,, last sentence, parents were out shopping.. I don't know them, but I doubt thats true!!!

greenfire

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 12:41 am
what a tragedy indeed ... Sad

GAMZu

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 12:59 am
Yes, that last sentence that was thrown in was a bit unnecessary. It's not like there is anything wrong with a 14 year old watching her brothers while her mother goes shopping... What

chayitty

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 2:15 am
the boys father is actually my first cuzin and from wat I heard he was on his way to give a speech

Mom2Three

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 2:21 am
14 years old girls watch their younger siblings all the time. And if the parents were home, this would likely not have been prevented. Its just a horrible tragedy.

GAMZu

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 2:27 am
The photo on VIN- of the women at the levaya, and the mother sitting and crying. Oy. That really made me cry Crying

Mishie

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 2:29 am
This is just too awful!

The same exact story happened a couple of years ago to my teacher's young daughter, here in Israel.
Hashem Yerachem!!!

Pineapple

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 10:39 am
GAMZu wrote:
The photo on VIN- of the women at the levaya, and the mother sitting and crying. Oy. That really made me cry Crying

Same here Crying

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 11:21 am
I doubt they were out 'shopping' at 9 a.m. the mother either ran to get something from the grocery or she had an appoitment or something.

yersp

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 11:25 am
Mama Bear wrote:
I doubt they were out 'shopping' at 9 a.m. the mother either ran to get something from the grocery or she had an appoitment or something.

I don't remember where I read it if it was from one of the comments on VIN, but someone wrote that every day the mother was always there with the kids and yesterday she just happened to have an appointment which is why she wasnt with them when the elevator got stuck.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 11:25 am
Mama Bear wrote:

was thinking the same thing. the father probably in shul, mother ran to get some milk or something..
I don;t know why the media had to emphasize those points...
but who cares where they were, it makes no difference... Sad

bubby

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 1:11 pm
VIN prints the most stupid, insensitive posts. We shouldn't take notice of some of these people. I really wish they wouldn't publish the pictures either, it makes you feel like an intruder on such grief (I didn't look at them.) This tragedy shouldn't be placed at the parents' feet. Not everything deserves blame.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 1:29 pm
The parents are amazing people from what I hear and they were on the way to work-they work with difficult children-from what I hear. It's so so so sad!

greenfire

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 2:55 pm
this accident could have happened with the parents right there - so it doesn't matter - won't bring him back ...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics