Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Saving $$$ on food & other household items (Brookyn)
1  2  Next

Teacup9

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 9:33 pm
How do you save money while shopping for every day items?

I never see coupons anymore, but I can get a coupon for Earth's Best Baby food online and I print it.
I order online from Target and can usually find a code for 10% off online.
I try to use cheap wash rags instead of paper towels around the house.
I only buy cereal and soda on sale.

I know you ladies can do better than I can. Where do you shop? Do you clip coupons? Do those supermarket and drug store saver cards really work? My friend told me Moishi's is much cheaper than Glatt Mart, true or not true? Is the only way to save on Is Costco worth it for toilet paper/tissue/paper towels or just as good as a Target or supermarket sale?

octopus

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 9:35 pm
I'm not the good shopper in my family- my dh is.

Somehow, he gets great deals at CVS. One time, he had so much in savings (from the coupons they print out) that the store owed him money. The manager was like, "wow" at dh's shopping abilities.

I should really ask him what he does...

Pineapple

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 9:38 pm
happy2BaMommy wrote:

Please do Smile

Teacup9

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 9:53 pm
happy2BaMommy wrote:
I'm not the good shopper in my family- my dh is.

Somehow, he gets great deals at CVS. One time, he had so much in savings (from the coupons they print out) that the store owed him money. The manager was like, "wow" at dh's shopping abilities.

Yes, please. I've heard of that and wish I knew how to do it. Where do you get CVS coupons?

octopus

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 9:56 pm
I'll ask dh when he gets home, but cvs does not have coupons. they have a card. Every single time you go, give them your card to swipe. The receipt has coupons. Plus dh examines the circular whenever it comes out.

I will ask him when he gets home from learning.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 10:27 pm
if you use baby formula, sign up on the company's website for coupons and special offers. they'll send you monthly coupons and if you check the box, other baby product companies will send you coupons, too. I used to get all the formula coupons and trade with friends for the formula coupons I wanted.

diapers are fairly cheap on amazon with free shipping.

I limit the amount of juice we buy per week (not counting for shabbos guests) and I don't buy soda. I try to buy in bulk when on sale. I don't keep much nosh in the house, and what nosh I do buy is usually cracker-like stuff for the kids. I don't buy candy.

we also drink tap water, unlike those who hold of only bottled or filtered water. so I don't spend on that. I also don't bother with dreft or ivory for my kids anymore, I put my washing machine on extra rinse cycle to prevent any irritation. I haven't had a problem.

the fact is, I don't always think about costs. but there are times the cost of something is just unreasonable. so I don't buy it.

greenfire

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:31 pm
basic things like toilet paper and ketchup that you need only purchase here or there go on sale every so often as well ... purchase them only on sale ... same for most foods and add a coupon on top - voila ... know the bottom dollar and try to purchase things at or close to that amount ...

the kids became eco friendly and won't use paper ... only issue it is not as easy to get them to wash the dishes ... not so sure how much I like that ...

you have to get everybody to think more about the lights they use and get into the habit of turning off what is not in use ... don't let water run while you brush your teeth or wash the dishes (if you can help it) ... and think before you turn up the heat or on an air conditioner ...

Teacup9

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:57 pm
Thanks Mummiedearest and Greenfire.

I nurse and cloth diaper otherwise I'd be all over the formula and diaper deals.

I also drink filtered water (just regular rabbiam approved filter nothing fancy) and think bottled water is a bit of a hoax. Besides I actually trust my pipes more than the plastic bottles they keep water in. Hubby however will only drink soda. He drinks so much soda the bottles are my baby's favorite toy. I have to just stock up on sales, but of course we still go through it like water.

I was just going through our credit card bill and figured with a little effort I could shop smarter. I've heard about people who can shop so well they practically get paid to shop or at the very least get the best price available for all those things you are always picking up. Also I realized that I never look at price when it comes to meat - I just go to Glatt Mart and the same goes for other food staples I just buy them from whatever store is nearby when I need it.

Teacup9

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 1:06 am
Okay I did a little Googling and I think I understand the CVS system a little better. You clip coupons and use them on regular items. Buying these items earns you cash back with your little plastic card. Somehow the earned cash back can be used to purchase items of lesser value and that is how one gets cash back. I think. Still not sure how to do it, because we do swipe our card on all CVS purchases and I haven't seen any earned cash. Also as extra special CVS' (aka not ours) there are magic coupon printing machines that print coupons when you swipe your card. They are so incredible they have made it onto youtube.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 7:58 am
Teacup9 wrote:

Hubby however will only drink soda. He drinks so much soda the bottles are my baby's favorite toy. I have to just stock up on sales, but of course we still go through it like water.

Why don't you do an exact calculation how much the soda costs. Both in actual terms (what you spend on the bottles) and long-term costs such as extra dental work (soda is corrosive and promotes tooth decay) and health care (lots of diabetes going on in the U.S. - check out the dangers of the corn syrup used to sweeten practically everything produced in the U.S.). Maybe if you approach him rationally, you will be able to save a few bucks short-term, and mega bucks long-term.

Teacup9 wrote:
I was just going through our credit card bill and figured with a little effort I could shop smarter. I've heard about people who can shop so well they practically get paid to shop or at the very least get the best price available for all those things you are always picking up. Also I realized that I never look at price when it comes to meat - I just go to Glatt Mart and the same goes for other food staples I just buy them from whatever store is nearby when I need it.
First, make shopping ONCE a week a priority. Every time you go shopping for that "one" thing, you end up with more than you intended to buy. Go with a list, at an hour when you are not hungry and not rushed and preferably without children (ya, right). Check what's on sale and buy it. If chicken legs are on sale, take them instead of whole chicken, if you know what I mean. Compare brands.

octopus

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 8:05 am
dh is a soda drinker (although has cut back since marrying me).
Dh only gets them on sale and stocks up. I could open up a soda store from my basement.

I still have yet to ask him what he does. sorry.

sky

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 8:26 am
We go through a lot of soda cans. My husband drinks a lot in the car when he drives to work.

Many times shoprite has them on sale and they come out to about 18 cents a can and that adds up to huge savings. We also check the shoprite circular every week for sales on stuff we use. Many times BBQ sauce or other products are 10 for $10. Tissues and toiletpaper are sometimes on sale for 1/2 price. We also go once a week for the produce that is on sale - like grapes or watermelon can be 3/4 of the price. Cereal is also much cheaper there when on sale and we stock up on a few boxes. No coupons are needed - you just have to know what is on sale - and you need their card to swipe.

gryp

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 8:38 am
Buy generic brands on lots whatever you can. It's way cheaper and lots of them work just fine. You just have to experiment a bit and see what you like and what you don't.

See if shopping at BJ's or Costco's would be cheaper for you. You can split the membership with a friend by getting a secondary card for free.

Stick to only buying what you came to the store for.

Amital

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 8:38 am
Plan your menus on Sunday with the circulars in hand. Work with what's on sale.

I always try to follow the "loss leaders" at the stores (things that the stores sells really cheap to get you in the door.) Things tend to have a cycle as to when they go on sale, and it's often 3-4 times a year. You can also buy coupons from websites on things you use so you'll have a bunch of them, and you can really lower the prices if you wait until double coupon day or go to a coupon doubling store.
This site will do a lot of the work compiling sales and coupons for you. I saved a BUNCH of money this way. (Of course this is regular grocery stores, not kosher ones.) It works by zip code or area.

When you find something you use at a good price, stock up. I bought several sets of crayons for 20 cents, markers for 10 cents, etc. We will use them, and they are cheap now--much more expensive when they aren't on super sale! I also buy big quantities of meat to freeze--some with prep (like made into meatballs), some just divided into appropriate sized portions. It takes a little longer, but not having to thaw out a 4 lb family pack when you only want 1 pound is great. Plus you can wrap it to freeze well. This is particularly important because kosher meat costs so much more than treif...I dream about sales with 99 cent ground beef or chicken breasts like in the regular grocery stores...

It's also worth asking about buying in bulk if you have a big freezer. Sometimes, the butcher will give you a better deal if you buy 15 chickens instead of 2, or something like that. Of course, it's only a deal if you have the means to store it and use it before it spoils!

For nonperishable things you use a lot of, like rice, flour, sugar, etc... there are two options: bulk stores like Costco or buying little bits at a time and building your stockpile. I've done both, depending on circumstances. I generally buy in a regular store with a good sale, but will buy bigger items, too. Same for paper goods.

Keep an eye out for things that are GREAT deals for birthday presents, and buy them on sale. Store until needed. (This applies only if you will actually use them, since I know someone who did this, but ended up getting something different each time instead!)

Soda is a little trickier, since your dh is probably brand picky. Price out the Costco, and see if it's a better deal there. This is something that is regularly on sale, so you can pretty safely set a rule to only buy on sale. Since it's good for a year or more, it's probably sage to say it will be used before it expires. There are often deals in places like gas stations, too--like buy 2 get 1 free, etc.

I guess a good rule of thumb is to keep your eyes open for bargains on things you use, and when you find them, buy it. Then "shop" from you personal store (in the basement or wherever) when you actually need something.

Teacup9

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 9:50 am
Amital wrote:
I also buy big quantities of meat to freeze--some with prep (like made into meatballs), some just divided into appropriate sized portions. It takes a little longer, but not having to thaw out a 4 lb family pack when you only want 1 pound is great. Plus you can wrap it to freeze well. This is particularly important because kosher meat costs so much more than treif...I dream about sales with 99 cent ground beef or chicken breasts like in the regular grocery stores...

It's also worth asking about buying in bulk if you have a big freezer. Sometimes, the butcher will give you a better deal if you buy 15 chickens instead of 2, or something like that. Of course, it's only a deal if you have the means to store it and use it before it spoils!

Thanks for the great idea about meat. I always buy the smallest portion since it is just dh, me, and what the little guy throws on the floor. I never considered buying family pack sizes to individually freeze. One question though, how do you freeze them? I feel like I need meats to be frozen in those styrofoam sheets with that little paper so I can easily pull them out when frozen. I use the crock pot to cook frozen meat a lot.

Tehilla

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 9:52 am
GR wrote:
Buy generic brands on lots whatever you can. It's way cheaper and lots of them work just fine. You just have to experiment a bit and see what you like and what you don't.

See if shopping at BJ's or Costco's would be cheaper for you. You can split the membership with a friend by getting a secondary card for free.

Walmart toilet paper and diapers and wipes and handsoap etc etc are amazing.
Target trash bags are as good as GLAD bags, and half the price.

these things I experimented with and found I'm saving so much money. find a friend with a car and tagteam to Walmart/Target/BJs etc

gryp

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 9:54 am
Right. Just remind your tagteam friend to chip in for the gas because she might forget! Wink LOL

Tehilla

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 9:55 am
hi GR! Wink

(I owe GR a big thanks for the Walmart brand buying habits. although I always purchased there, I just started with their brand.)

gryp

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 10:01 am
Nah, Tehilla, you're just obsessed with toilet paper and baby wipes. Very Happy
Okay, I'll admit to being obsessed with diapers and baby wipes too.

Teacup9

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 10:02 am
Tehilla wrote:
GR wrote:

Walmart toilet paper and diapers and wipes and handsoap etc etc are amazing.
Target trash bags are as good as GLAD bags, and half the price.

these things I experimented with and found I'm saving so much money. find a friend with a car and tagteam to Walmart/Target/BJs etc

Is Walmart really worth the gas and trek to LI just for toilet paper and hand soap? I don't buy diapers. I am mad at Target because parking is $2-$3, but I guess I could go to the one off the belt.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics