Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
What do you do when they JUST DONT LISTEN??
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 3:01 pm
When they lay down on the sidewalk because they refuse to walk. Grab her hand? Carry her? Bribe her? I tried holding her hand and not let go but she just let let go stopped walking. 3 yo for reference

amother
NeonPink

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 3:06 pm
Tell a story
Sing a song
Play a game
Validate her tiredness or aching feet
Promise a treat or prize
When all else fails, carry her

oneofakind

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 3:07 pm
Sounds normal. Maybe she's tired. Pick her up. Maybe she still needs a stroller.

giftedmom

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 3:10 pm
Pick her up do what you gotta do and get a stroller next time. When they’re still doing that they’re too young to walk.

amother
Topaz

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 3:14 pm
I say "you have a choice either start walking right now or mommy has to hold you"
It's hard holding a screaming kicking toddler but sometimes there is no choice.
Or the other choice can be a stroller

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 3:16 pm
Forgot the stroller at home and was too far to carry home the whole way

amother
Candycane

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 3:27 pm
You get frustrated obviously. And you wonder why just your kids are like this. And think through all the things you wish you could do but would never do. And then you take a deep breath and consider what options you have. And pick the best one.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 6:44 pm
Is it just me? Am I not strict enough with my kids that they decide they can pull games on me? They don't do this either anyone else.

amother
Stone

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 6:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is it just me? Am I not strict enough with my kids that they decide they can pull games on me? They don't do this either anyone else.

Because they feel safe with you to show their true emotions. It’s totally normal. Next time try to remember the stroller. But this time you should’ve carried her home and stopped for a break if she got too heavy.

amf

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 6:51 pm
Not just you
My 3 year old decided she's going to lay on the floor instead of let me get her into pjs
I had to physically hold her upright, she was wiggling out of her pjs as I was putting them on...and of course the baby was screaming

It seems like the get a kick out of disobeying but they're just trying to cause a reaction

amother
Candycane

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 7:21 pm
This is so normal toddler behavior.

amother
Tuberose

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 7:50 pm
My child decided not to walk home today. This is a walk that is usually done without any issues. I tried figuring out the issue, couldn’t. Tried bribing, couldn’t. So I carried child while pushing the single stroller (toddler was in it and tantrum kid refused to go in) and apparently that was funny so my kid was happy and we slowly made our way home. Took a break every 40 seconds. And yes I am exhausted now.
Tomorrow will be a better day!

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 8:36 pm
amother OP wrote:

So normal. 3 is still a toddler

amother
Arcticblue

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 8:59 pm
I would carry a 3 year old for a few minutes to let them get a break. Or give a piggy back ride.

Phoebe31

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 10:15 pm
amother OP wrote:

This is not about you, your child is 3 years old, this is completely normal. I agree to try to be proactive and bring a stroller in the future.

Phoebe31

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 10:16 pm
amf wrote:
Not just you
My 3 year old decided she's going to lay on the floor instead of let me get her into pjs
I had to physically hold her upright, she was wiggling out of her pjs as I was putting them on...and of course the baby was screaming

It seems like the get a kick out of disobeying but they're just trying to cause a reaction

Disobeying? They’re toddlers!!

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 10:43 pm
Kids have no reserves.

We have reserves.

When we are too tired to do something that just has to be done, we have reserves we can draw on. Deep muscle.

Kids don't have that.

When a kid is too tired to walk or do anything else, he/she truly is. And he/she truly cannot do that thing.

The tank isn't low. The tank is completely empty.

The kid yells, but he is not lying or manipulating. There really is nothing left in there.

Take the stroller or carry the kid.

Sometimes the kid needs to 'be the kid again' when a new baby is getting the stroller. "Hey. I'm a kid too." Sibling jealousy, but it is natural.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 11:04 pm
I had 2 lollies in my pocket book for such emergencies (& refilled when one was used) Somehow it always worked. Not only with my kids but when I saw another child do so, I offered the mother a lolly and saved her day too bh.

amother
Seablue

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 11:10 pm
Hugs! But yes it's totally normal. And then when we finally get home and my nerves are frazzled and I'm hot and sweaty and need a few min to collect myself, she sweetly asks me to sit down and read her a book. As if nothing happened.
My 2 yo did this to me recently, was just at the corner of my block because she never walks anywhere far yet but this time was just to the corner and my hands were full of stuff and we needed to cross and she refused to budge. I just coaxed until I said, bye mommy's going home and started turning away. She got up and ran to hold my hand. I know psychologically it's probably not the right thing to tell a toddler but it was the only thing that I could think of right then in the moment

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 10:34 am
amother Denim wrote:
I had 2 lollies in my pocket book for such emergencies (& refilled when one was used) Somehow it always worked. Not only with my kids but when I saw another child do so, I offered the mother a lolly and saved her day too bh.

We just had this yesterday! My daughter had a flat-on-the-floor-tantrum because she wanted to go to the park, a neighbor passing gave her a piece if chocolate, and B"H she made it home.
Not ideal, but emergencies do happen.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics