Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Going to bed with a bottle...?

pappymom

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 2:59 pm
My 22 month old dd will only go to bed with a bottle of milk- by both naptime and bedtime. I know it is bad for her teeth, but this way I know that she drinks her milk- if I give it to her throughout the day she might or might not drink it. Is it that bad?
If so, how do I stop it? I dont want to traumatize her she's very attached to her blankie and her bottie!!

yo'ma

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 3:01 pm
I don't know how you can stop, but STOP! My mother used to give me a bottle of milk in my crib when I was little and my teeth rotted. The dentist had to pull out 2 of my front teeth when I was about 5.

gryp

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 3:08 pm
Water it down more and more each night until it's basically water or until she doesn't want it anymore. I did that for my 2 yr old but too late. His teeth are the slightest bit brown if you look at them in the sunlight and I'll never forgive myself for that.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 3:21 pm
She probably doesn't need the milk. If you insist she has milk, they why not try giving it to her "hidden" in foods like oatmeal. Milk is totally over-rated. If she doesn't like it, skip it. Her teeth will thank you. You know that healthy baby teeth are a base for healthy adult teeth, right?

Beauty and the Beast

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 3:24 pm
how do you wean a bottle at night? ds wouldn't go to sleep without one. He also drinks thru one the whole day... He is so attached! He puts up such a fuss if he doesnt have one,. it relaxes him...

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 3:37 pm
my 23 month old is the same. my ped said 2 bottles a day will NOT kill his teeth, especially if I brush them, which I generally do. he needs the milk and thats the only way he'll drink it. the important thing is to make sure he's not sucking on the bottle all nite. once he's done u should take it away. but 10 minutes a day sucking wont do damage.

Marion

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 3:56 pm
I give my 2.5 year old a sippy with water in bed. That's it. I'll refill it, but only with water.

cubbie

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 4:07 pm
Both my kids have sippys with water in at night, but they don't fall asleep drinking it, it's more for my piece of mind because it's so hot here at the moment and if they wake up thirsty (I do so why shouldn't they?) I don't need to be woken up too. Most mornings the sippys are full, but on occassion not.

greenfire

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 4:11 pm
milk or juice botties are known to rot the teeth ... they tend to fall asleep a pool lingers in their mouth ... I say in the long run they need their teeth ... if you must give them water and only water ...

flowerpower

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 4:38 pm
I used to put in more and more water in the bottle until it was only water. Then I switched to a non-spill sippy and filled it with water.

BusyBeeMommy

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 8:37 pm
DD loves her bottle and has one before nap time and one before bed but I am VERY strict about her taking it to bed. Before I put her down to sleep, I give her the bottle. When she decides she is finished, I snuggle her and put her into bed w/out the bottle. She used to scream and cry, so I showed her that if she wants more, mommy will give it to her out of her crib but she can't take it to bed w/ her. She got it. Now I give her a sippy w/ water in it to take to bed and she uses that as her comfort object to help her fall asleep. Not only does a bottle make teeth rot, but when a kid drinks from a bottle lying down, it increases their chances of getting an ear infection b/c it cause liquid to build up in the ear.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics