Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
$600 for Playgroup???
1  2  Next

BusyBeeMommy

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 3:17 pm
So I have a friend that has a playgroup for kids my DD's age (18 months) which is highly unusual as I've been doing research. She is certified and teaches using the Montesorri Method. So I took DD there yesterday to try it out and e/t worked out great. When I asked her for her monthly rates, she told me that 9-1 is $450 and 9-3 is $600. I almost flipped out. I have a playgroup around the corner from me that charges $275 from 9-2:30, but they wont take my kid, she has to be 2 already. This playgroup includes diapers and Montessori playgroup doesn't! Is that a crazy price for playgroup? Isn't it more than school tuition?

Fabulous

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 3:22 pm
I don't know if it's crazy, it sounds it to me though. I do know that tuition is up too. A regular school costs that much from nursery + fees. A school that is smaller, with a better education and harder to get into can be 800 +. Prices just keep going up and wages don't. No kids yet, but I'll tell you what a professor of mine told me in college. He said he would rather get into debt to pay for his kids to go to an authorized daycare than be able to afford a playgroup that a nice (but not trained in cpr etc..) woman set up in her basement. This was right after the story with the child that was niftar from cough syrup at playgroup. I am in that position, so I can't tell you what to do. But maybe if it's your friend you can ask her for a break.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 3:22 pm
sounds ridiculous. even if it is a playgroup using the method.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 3:23 pm
whoops, meant to say NOT in that position yet. Iy"H I will be soon, I hope.

tzipp

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 3:23 pm
Sounds normal, maybe a bit high, but if run very well- facilities, teacher to child ratio etc. I understand the price.
But no diapers at that age- why? Why force kids who aren't ready? I really disagree with that.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 3:25 pm
tzipp wrote:
Sounds normal, maybe a bit high, but if run very well- facilities, teacher to child ratio etc. I understand the price.
But no diapers at that age- why? Why force kids who aren't ready? I really disagree with that.

If I understood Busybee correctly I think she meant you have to provide your own diapers rather than them using their own. I don't think they would force an 18th month old to train when he/she was not ready.

MamaBear

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 3:26 pm
Well, it's usually more expensive when dealing with younger kids, right? I guess it depends on why you are putting her in a playgroup. If it's for daycare purposes, then you need to decide when it's no longer financially worth it, if so much of your money is going towards childcare expenses. If it's for socialization, then send her part-time, since she's so young, or I would just look for something more affordable. She'll have fun anywhere, you just need to make sure she's in a safe, loving environment.

Raisin

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 3:28 pm
its only $5 an hour once you work it out. If she is a trained montessori teacher maybe thats why she charges more. Or perhaps she has a higher staff/child ratio, especially as she takes younger kids. there is probably a good reason why the others don't take younger kids - they are harder to look after.

Why do 18 month olds need to go to playgroup anyway? (unless their mother works of course.)

Fabulous

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 3:31 pm
Raisin wrote:
its only $5 an hour once you work it out. If she is a trained montessori teacher maybe thats why she charges more. Or perhaps she has a higher staff/child ratio, especially as she takes younger kids. there is probably a good reason why the others don't take younger kids - they are harder to look after.

Why do 18 month olds need to go to playgroup anyway? (unless their mother works of course.)

I have a friend who has a 15 month old. She is in school and manages to afford someone watching her dd at home. But she told me that her dd loves to be with other kids and feels like she's depriving her because she is at home with this lady, who also does light housekeeping. Some kids love and need that child-interaction.

Raisin

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 3:34 pm
Fabulous wrote:
Raisin wrote:

I have a friend who has a 15 month old. She is in school and manages to afford someone watching her dd at home. But she told me that her dd loves to be with other kids and feels like she's depriving her because she is at home with this lady, who also does light housekeeping. Some kids love and need that child-interaction.

not 6 hours a day though. A few hours once or twice a week is probably fine. Your friend should ask her babysitter to take the child to some baby groups.

MamaBear

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 3:34 pm
Raisin, I recently thought about this a lot...I personally don't believe in so much "school" at a young age (18 months is baby!) and all the camp stuff but I'm in the middle of a slightly complicated pregnancy and though I'm not on bedrest, who knows what will be. I can imagine that if I had such physical limitations, I would do something more structured for my child at that age rather than a babysitter.

You also, of course, don't know when someone has other medical issues, numerous family obligations (caring for a sick parent), etc etc all that contribute to them needing a break.

But yeah, for the average mom and child I don't get it either. Perhaps for a few hrs a week as an activity, but not on a daily basis unless I needed childcare, which might very well be the original poster's situation.

Raisin

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 3:39 pm
MamaBear wrote:
Raisin, I recently thought about this a lot...I personally don't believe in so much "school" at a young age (18 months is baby!) and all the camp stuff but I'm in the middle of a slightly complicated pregnancy and though I'm not on bedrest, who knows what will be. I can imagine that if I had such physical limitations, I would do something more structured for my child at that age rather than a babysitter.

You also, of course, don't know when someone has other medical issues, numerous family obligations (caring for a sick parent), etc etc all that contribute to them needing a break.

But yeah, for the average mom and child I don't get it either. Perhaps for a few hrs a week as an activity, but not on a daily basis unless I needed childcare, which might very well be the original poster's situation.

I'm not saying it is bad for the child to be at a playgroup. I'm sure if it is a good one, it can be beneficial. I'm just saying it is not necessary. of course, the OP may have many good reasons why she needs to send her child.

Clarissa

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 3:45 pm
Can someone please explain these playgroups to me? Are they like in-home babysitting? Are they licensed and inspected like preschools, or are they just a woman taking care of a couple of kids in her own home? I get confused by the name, because I always thought a playgroup was when women get together with their babies, but all the mothers are there with their kids, yet the descriptions sound more like daycare. Anybody want to clear this up for me? How many kids and what do they do with them? Do they have playgrounds?

crbc

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 3:49 pm
Ahava

This montessori daycare in Brooklyn has same prices ( or are we talking about same daycare LOL ?)I heard a lot of good things about this daycare, but hours are too short for me. My 2 year old goes to a different daycare (not montessori Wink ) that cost $675/mo M-Th 8- 6. I like it a lot as well. My 3rd grader's tuition is over 9K/yr, and while I can find a cheaper school, I am happy with his.

cassandra

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 3:50 pm
I will pay around $525 a month for my 2 1/2 year old-- four days a week, three hours a day, 1 teacher, 6 kids. They basically have play time, snack, circle time where they sing songs and read stories, art, and a lot of outdoor time (suburban area so big back yards.)

Fabulous

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 4:09 pm
Raisin wrote:
Fabulous wrote:
Raisin wrote:

not 6 hours a day though. A few hours once or twice a week is probably fine. Your friend should ask her babysitter to take the child to some baby groups.

She wasn't feeling too bad because the babysitter brought her son often, but now he is ready for school. Plus, I really don't think they can afford anything extra right now, they are barely making ends mean with help from her parents. (don't judge her for having that much help. her schooling is grueling and she needs all the help she can get to not break down and give up)

BusyBeeMommy

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 4:22 pm
Wow! I was really ignorant abt tution these days! So it sounds like she's pretty much on target from all of the previous posters.
Fabulous, I want my kid to have a good education but after inspecting a few the 275 playgroup, I didnt see much of a difference. Both staff are very caring. Sadly, I don't think either have CPR/First Aid trained staff. BTW - what was that cough syrup story? Never heard it.
Raisin, my baby IS very young but I'm due to give birth in a few weeks and I feel like I will need the break during the day. I will be going to school at night so I'll also need time during the day to write papers and study and HW. I live in a small apt and if I cant get out of the house, I want dd to have an enjoyable time. She's very advanced and I know she will do well in a school setting, so I prefer that over a babysitter w/ a bunch of newborns. My dd needs stimulation and socialization and she would go crazy from sitting around w/ no one entertaining her. I am very close to her and I feel guilty abt sending her out so young, my personal belief is keeping a child at home as late as possible (till nursery or kindergarten) but I know I will not be a good mommy if I dont get a break.
Clarrisa, u are right abt what a playgroup is - it IS that, but I guess they didnt have a name for 2-yr old school so they took on this name.

This tuition is a killer! How do they expect ppl to have one kid after another and be able to dole out all this money??? DH and I are both students so I think my precious DD will have to learn how to do HW w/ her mommy instead of going to playgroup cuz right now mommy cant afford it! And although she's my friend, she knows my circumstances and didn't offer me a break. I feel uncomfortable asking her for one as I feel this is not really a necessity and I understand she needs to make a living too.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 4:33 pm
The cough syrup incident was a tragedy. A young mother opened up a playgroup/babysitting in her basement to earn some extra money. One of the children was very fussy and she gave him cough syrup to calm him down. Now it was a few years ago and I am fuzzy on the details, but either she gave him too much or he was allergic and she did not know how to help and he was niftar.

The montessuri playgroup is licensed, yet the staff does not know CPR? I thought that was one of the requirements. If that is the case, you have to do what's best in your situation. I completely understand how a regular mother would need her 18 month old out of the house for a few hours, but you are expecting soon and in school, how much more so. I give you all the credit in the world. Hatzlacha!

flowerpower

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 4:35 pm
Well, $600 because you pay for the name. It's supposed to be an "amazing" school. Who needs an amazing school for an 18 month old. All she needs is good care and some social time at this point.

MamaBear

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 4:39 pm
Do you know a couple other mothers who need a break? Maybe you can hire someone to watch a few of them at once, like a mini playgroup. An 18 month old really doesn't need it to be like a school setting.

Since you obviously do have some money set aside for this purpose, if a playgroup doesn't work out, I definitely would get a babysitter for a few hrs a week or more just so you can do your schoolwork in peace. Or, again, see if your daughter can go on a more part time basis which would be cheaper.

I barely function postpartum. I can't imagine focusing on schoolwork....
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics