Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
$600 for Playgroup???
Previous  1  2

OldYoung

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 5:33 pm
I pay that much (sometimes more) for babysitting and I send dd for 25-30 hours a week. The sitter is licensed, and it costs money to keep the license up. Also, there are government regulations for sitter:child numbers so if the sitter has over a certain amount of children then she needs to pay an assistant. There are also certain amounts of children allowed within a certain age. If the 'class' you're discussing is something along those lines, you can see how the money adds up. It's definitely more expensive than sending to just any old babysitter.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 5:52 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Well, $600 because you pay for the name. It's supposed to be an "amazing" school. Who needs an amazing school for an 18 month old. All she needs is good care and some social time at this point.

I agree. It's not like she will know the difference. If the other one is cheaper, and has caring, and careful teachers, why would you even think of the pricier one?

Clarissa

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 7:00 pm
Personally, if I were going to put a child that young into a group setting for more than a few hours a week, I would want it to be as much as a replacement for my attention as possible. Meaning, I'd pay more if the program was more stimulating and individually focused. That's a lot of hours to be away from parental attention if they're just hanging out all day with other babies their age. I'd look for a higher adult to child ratio and adults who weren't just sitters who were there to make sure diapers were changed and snacks were eaten. I know the kid being safe is a #1 concern, but I try to stimulate my kid and I'd hope that any paid caregivers were doing the same. I'm not saying they have to learn algebra, but certainly get some attention and stimulation at least part of the time. It's a long time to be in a group setting for a kid so young.

chaylizi

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 8:12 pm
when I worked, I sent my younger dd to babysitting for $150/week. It works out the same I think.

BusyBeeMommy

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 8:28 pm
I don't care as much about the method of education as I do about the attention given. Like I mentioned before, there is a playgroup that charges 275 a month. Althoug it is for 2 and up, the morah is a neighbor and said she would do me a favor and let DD try it out. But I feel that she is really a baby still, and even if some kids are only 6 months older, it makes a big difference. She still needs individualized attention and can't fend for herself as well as a 2 year old. This playgroup has 20 kids w/ 2 morahs and 1 that's available upstairs in case of an emergency. That's really not enough, the "montessori" place has about a ratio of 6 kids to one teacher and it's geared for younger kids. But it's really too high a price for me right now and it's not a dire necessity. I am very apprehensive about juggling it all - school, a newborn and a toddler but I will enlist the help of my mother and MIL. Thank goodness they are local.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics