Home
Log in / Sign Up
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Am I wrong? Should the teacher let?
1  2  3  Next



Post new topic   Reply to topic View latest: 24h 48h 72h

miami85




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 2:26 pm
My preschooler is in a class with a morah who is very nutrition conscious--like when there's a kiddush in shul brings her own food for her kids. My daughter has been liking flavor enhanced water--like Mio or the store generics (we have hard water and this helps my kids drink more water). They are 0 calorie but sweetened--I know that the super health conscious would object to artificial sweeteners, but in my mind it's getting my daughter to drink water and nutritionally it is still "water" and not juice or soda. My daughter came home today and told me "my morah won't let me drink 'juice' after lunch". I informed the teacher that it's not "juice" or "koolaid punch" but a 0-calorie alternative to water. I know that the school doesn't allow "soda" for preschoolers, but shouldn't they be encouraging water in any form?
Back to top

justforfun87




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 2:28 pm
That is even worse than sugar. Please find an alternative drink for your daughter.
Back to top

Comptroller




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 2:29 pm
miami85 wrote:
My preschooler is in a class with a morah who is very nutrition conscious--like when there's a kiddush in shul brings her own food for her kids. My daughter has been liking flavor enhanced water--like Mio or the store generics (we have hard water and this helps my kids drink more water). They are 0 calorie but sweetened--I know that the super health conscious would object to artificial sweeteners, but in my mind it's getting my daughter to drink water and nutritionally it is still "water" and not juice or soda. My daughter came home today and told me "my morah won't let me drink 'juice' after lunch". I informed the teacher that it's not "juice" or "koolaid punch" but a 0-calorie alternative to water. I know that the school doesn't allow "soda" for preschoolers, but shouldn't they be encouraging water in any form?


I agree with the teacher, and I'm not "health food crazy".

I suppose it will take 2-3 weeks to get a child weaned off sweetened drinks, but it is really a good habit to learn to drink just plain water.


Last edited by Comptroller on Tue, Apr 09 2024, 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

scruffy




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 2:30 pm
Try Hint, they make flavored water without any sweeteners (sugar or artificial).

My toddler likes it. https://www.amazon.com/Hint-Wa.....ss_tl
Back to top

amother
Lemonlime


 

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 2:30 pm
I can imagine the other kids being jealous & also wanting "juice" so I think it's ok for the teacher to not allow.

I also agree with the above poster. Rather give a bit of juice with the water than artificial sweetener.
Back to top

amother
Navy


 

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 2:32 pm
I also agree, I would recommend getting a good filter it will enhance the taste of your water. My kids only drink filtered water.
Back to top

amother
Dodgerblue


 

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 2:35 pm
My daughter's school doesn't make a big deal of juice if it's in a reusable non-tranparent bottle. Maybe try that. However I would make my own healthy version of flavors water. Take your own water and add a tiny drop of Grape juice, apple juice to it. That's actually healthy
Back to top

notshanarishona




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 2:38 pm
Personally as a teacher I wouldn’t make a big deal but it’s pretty standard to only allow water unless it’s meal time when they get juice. Do your child a favor and teach her to drink plain water now.
Back to top

mom37




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 2:39 pm
I think there are two issues at play here:

1) Health of your child
2) Does morah have right to decide what your daughter has for lunch or is this only parent’s domain

Addressing issue #1 - artificial sweeteners really are terrible for a person. I would not give it to my child nor do I ingest them myself.

Issue #2: a lot of morahs won’t allow juice or soda because they can result in hyperactivity due to high sugar content. I don’t think you can say the same for artificial sweeteners so you could make that argument.

But I think issue #1 more important issue.
Back to top

Blessing1




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 2:39 pm
My kids preschool only allows the kids to bring water.
Back to top

WonderIma




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 2:40 pm
I generally have an issue with Morahs making their own decisions on things like this. When I send my kid to a school, I am agreeing to the school's rules and policies; not the personal policies of the individual morah that my kids are assigned to. Either this included in the school "soda" policy or it isn't. Is there a written policy that is more clear?

That said, I agree with the other posters that it probably isn't a good choice for you as parent to make. I am not judging at all, because I know how difficult some kids can be, and can totally relate to compromising some things for sanity purposes. I don't know if this could be a compromise alternative, but there are unsweetened flavored waters like "hint" https://www.amazon.com/Hint-Fr.....WOVX4
Back to top

notshanarishona




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 2:45 pm
WonderIma wrote:
I generally have an issue with Morahs making their own decisions on things like this. When I send my kid to a school, I am agreeing to the school's rules and policies; not the personal policies of the individual morah that my kids are assigned to. Either this included in the school "soda" policy or it isn't. Is there a written policy that is more clear?

That said, I agree with the other posters that it probably isn't a good choice for you as parent to make. I am not judging at all, because I know how difficult some kids can be, and can totally relate to compromising some things for sanity purposes. I don't know if this could be a compromise alternative, but there are unsweetened flavored waters like "hint" https://www.amazon.com/Hint-Fr.....WOVX4


Most schools have a rule only allowing water to be brought
Back to top

amother
Trillium


 

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 2:51 pm
Firstly any drinks flavorings like mio are so bad for you if you need look into Nuun tablets

But for a preschooler?!?!

💯 At that age teachers isn't wrong because it appears like a juice for other kids...
Back to top

amother
Steel


 

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 2:53 pm
I don’t think the teacher gets a say. transfer the drink into an opaque thermos. it’s none of her business
Back to top

miami85




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 3:14 pm
Comptroller wrote:
I agree with the teacher, and I'm not "health food crazy".

I suppose it will take 2-3 weeks to get a child weaned off sweetened drinks, but it is really a good habit to learn to drink just plain water.


I learned the opposite--flavoring the water is better than them drinking sugary drinks and keeping kids properly hydrated is better than them not drinking at all.

The water where we live has a taste that doesn't work for everyone. I tolerate it but not all of my kids do and constantly buying water bottles adds up.

Most nutritionists will say artificial sweeteners are not a problem.
Back to top

miami85




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 3:14 pm
amother Steel wrote:
I don’t think the teacher gets a say. transfer the drink into an opaque thermos. it’s none of her business


It was in an opaque thermos.
Back to top

miami85




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 3:15 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
Most schools have a rule only allowing water to be brought


But this IS water, just slightly flavored, if it was infused with lemon, strawberries or cucumbers, is that different?
Back to top

mizle10




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 3:22 pm
miami85 wrote:
But this IS water, just slightly flavored, if it was infused with lemon, strawberries or cucumbers, is that different?


It's sugary sweet neon water...

I'm really really not health conscious at all but to me it's the same as fruit punch. My kids school wouldn't either allow it.
Back to top

miami85




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 3:25 pm
...

Last edited by miami85 on Tue, Apr 09 2024, 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

miami85




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 3:25 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
Firstly any drinks flavorings like mio are so bad for you if you need look into Nuun tablets

But for a preschooler?!?!

💯 At that age teachers isn't wrong because it appears like a juice for other kids...


It's a few drops of the flavoring, there is absolutely no evidence that artificial sweeteners in that amount is dangerous. If a full 1 liter of flavored seltzer is 10 calories, there's no harm in a few drops of flavoring. Please.
Back to top
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics




Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling

Related Topics Replies Last Post
How can we figure out what's wrong with him?
by amother
20 Today at 11:25 am View last post
Let's schmooze....
by amother
2 Today at 10:49 am View last post
S/o of tuition crisis - let’s build a theoretical school
by amother
2 Fri, May 24 2024, 6:26 pm View last post
Did you ever see a teacher cry?
by amother
37 Fri, May 17 2024, 8:30 am View last post
ISO Monsey teacher taking notes
by amother
4 Fri, May 17 2024, 2:23 am View last post