Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
PSA Cutting babys nails

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 5:49 pm
I've been using an electric nail filer on my 7 month old, and it is the best thing ever! I don't need to do any cutting. When dc moves, it doesn't hurt him if it goes on his finger by mistake instead of the nail. I started using it after dc got a small infection from a nail cutting cut.. This is the answer!! Sharing since I wish I knew before. I'm linking one so you get the idea.. Electric Baby Nail Filer

mom923

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 6:37 pm
I use the same one weekly after making her bleed once with a baby nail clipper. I sobbed for hours she was fine after 5 minutes. But I can’t bring myself to do it again.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 6:40 pm
This looks great!
Until what age is it fine to use this?

mom923

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 6:43 pm
amother Poinsettia wrote:
This looks great!
Until what age is it fine to use this?

The different colors correspond to the roughness of the file. The highest being 12months and up. I can’t see how it would be harmful to older children, as long as it keeps filing the nail..🤷🏼‍♀️

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 6:54 pm
It sounds time consuming… clipping takes about a second a nail. How do babies cooperate long enough to go through the filing motion?

amother
Ultramarine

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 7:16 pm
amother Blush wrote:
It sounds time consuming… clipping takes about a second a nail. How do babies cooperate long enough to go through the filing motion?

It doesn't take long because it's electric, it files much much faster than you would by hand. And if the baby doesn't mind it then they stay calm and you can take some time. Worked great for a few months, now baby is stronger and more active and less patient so I'm about half and half between the file and the clipper depending on both our moods. Sometimes if he's sleeping deeply I can get it done then, it's very gentle.

I find it doesn't make the nails less sharp or scratchy, which was disappointing. That was the main thing I was hoping for but baby is still gouging holes in his and my skin.

hodeez

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 7:18 pm
Hated it, their nails grew back so fast and somehow sharper than before. Maybe it was just the brand that I bought 🤷

mom923

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:28 pm
hodeez wrote:
Hated it, their nails grew back so fast and somehow sharper than before. Maybe it was just the brand that I bought 🤷

I do find her nails grow back fast, but im terrified to cut her again. Any tips to use clippers without making them bleed..?

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:44 pm
I use this, works great!

https://a.co/d/59LzOjO

Anonymiss 1

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:51 pm
I use nail scissors. Easy and works well.

amother
Heather

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 9:04 pm
Thank you! I will try this.

Without fail, with each of my kids, I accidentally cut their skin when cutting their nails for the first time... And I feel so horrible after, even if they are fine right away.

I’m scared to cut my 3 week old. But his nails are long and he keeps scratching himself.

I will give this a try.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 1:04 am
mom923 wrote:
I do find her nails grow back fast, but im terrified to cut her again. Any tips to use clippers without making them bleed..?

Wouldn't her nails grow back fast also if you cut it? How does filing make it grow back faster? It doesn't grow faster by my baby when filing and even if it did I think it's worth doing it more often than hurting my baby by mistake.

joonabug

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 1:27 am
I cut my babies nails after they fall asleep when I nurse

amother
Gladiolus

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 1:29 am
I bite my newborn baby nails. Less likely to accidentally hurt baby!

amother
Tanzanite

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 2:34 am
https://www.walmart.com/ip/NAI.....w_wcB

I use this, the Nail Snail. Never ever hurt my kids even once. Can cut the nail, file it, clean under it, all in one tool.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics