Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Behavioral issues = pandas?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 9:23 am
Someone in a previous thread was listing behavior issues with their child and saying the underlying cause was PANDAS.
I always thought PANdAS had more extreme obvious symptoms like tics or hallucinations or high anxiety.
I have a young child who has crazy mood swings. In OT for emotional regulation and we thought she was getting better but have regressed and gotten horrible again. Big Increase in lack of controlling emotions.
This could be pandas? Not just emotional and behavioral issues? Honestly, we can’t figure out a trigger and the school and therapist are also a bit bewildered with her sudden switch in behavior. Like she’s always had some issues but we thought she was getting better at handling them/overcoming them and then bam she’s getting like way worse. Kind of feel at a loss here bc nothing we do works.
Not sure the doctor would blood test for this or even know how or what to do.
Am I just grasping for answers?

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 9:59 am
Ask your pediatrician to check her strep count and for lime.

bestwife4

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 12:14 pm
Definitely get bloodwork done. Explain symptoms to pediatrician. They should check strept antibodies to rule out pandas

amother
Eggplant

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 12:31 pm
There are other reasons it can happen. Bullying, teacher being hard on her, big life change like moving or baby.. some other diagnosed issue like asd or adhd can look this way too. I’d do a full neuropsych and do a blood test to check for anything abnormal including deficiencies.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 12:38 pm
Too young for a neuropsych us she wouldn’t leave my side to do one anyway.
I emailed her doctor to see if she thinks we should test for anything’. guess we’ll see what she says. This kid is just so intense and exhausting!!!!

amother
Eggplant

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 12:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
Too young for a neuropsych us she wouldn’t leave my side to do one anyway.
I emailed her doctor to see if she thinks we should test for anything’. guess we’ll see what she says. This kid is just so intense and exhausting!!!!

How old? Very young kids with extreme mood swings is often asd which gets worse as they age. Was she ever screened for it?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 12:43 pm

amother
Oldlace

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 1:18 pm
Considering ot for 8 year old daughter with difficulty regulating emotions. If you are in Lakewood do you have someone to recommend?

marineparkmom

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 1:21 pm
All the suggestions above are great
But what about starting simple

Has there been a change in sleep habits, like going to bed too late

Does she need a good day of tlc with mommy

Has she played outside recently

Could a social worker be of help

Is the child stressed from school

OT is wonderful but I’m not sure it’s really the trick for long term emotional regulation

marineparkmom

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 1:23 pm
Does she currently have strep or any other virus?

Does she need a different parenting approach then the other children ?

Can she play outside daily in a sand box in your backyard?

amother
Holly

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 1:35 pm
Absolutely. Emotional lability is one of the main symptoms. Usually there *is* anxiety and ocd underlying, but it can be hard to catch if you don't know what you're looking for.

You can do an ibuprophen trial. Dye free motrin every 6 hours for 3 days. If you see an improvement you'll know brain inflammation is a cause.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 1:57 pm
amother Oldlace wrote:
Considering ot for 8 year old daughter with difficulty regulating emotions. If you are in Lakewood do you have someone to recommend?

Gitty Zelcer at Optimal Care

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 2:05 pm
we have our reasons for attempting OT instead of conventional therapy at this point. I’ve been in touch though with social workers regarding what’s going on and I’ve been told that 2
We’re handling it all the right way. Even the school is baffled bc they assumed lot of her behaviors would have gone away based on how they handled it but she must just be super stubborn or something else is going and no one can figure it out.

I’ve tired different parenting techniques with her to the point that my older kids are annoyed bc they think she’s getting away with more than they did. No it’s just that being my normal stricter parent didn’t work with her so trying a different approach but that doesn’t seem to be helping either

I always just thought she was a tougher kid - more sensitive, intense emotions, etc. this is her personality and she just needs to learn how to put it to good use. But after reading all these threads on pandas it got me thinking that maybe I should be digging deeper and it’s not as straightforward as l thought.

amother
Holly

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 2:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
we have our reasons for attempting OT instead of conventional therapy at this point. I’ve been in touch though with social workers regarding what’s going on and I’ve been told that 2
We’re handling it all the right way. Even the school is baffled bc they assumed lot of her behaviors would have gone away based on how they handled it but she must just be super stubborn or something else is going and no one can figure it out.

I’ve tired different parenting techniques with her to the point that my older kids are annoyed bc they think she’s getting away with more than they did. No it’s just that being my normal stricter parent didn’t work with her so trying a different approach but that doesn’t seem to be helping either

I always just thought she was a tougher kid - more sensitive, intense emotions, etc. this is her personality and she just needs to learn how to put it to good use. But after reading all these threads on pandas it got me thinking that maybe I should be digging deeper and it’s not as straightforward as l thought.
I for one think you're very much on the right track.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 2:11 pm
amother Holly wrote:
I for one think you're very much on the right track.

Meaning I should look deeper? Or it’s probably just her make up and we need to work on her behaviorally?

amother
Holly

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 2:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
Meaning I should look deeper? Or it’s probably just her make up and we need to work on her behaviorally?
That you should keep digging. I'm a big believer in biomedical root causes for behaviors, and even what looks like personality. Even if it's not straight up pandas (caused by strep), emotional dysregulation, rage, aggression etc can be caused by Lyme, pans, allergies, celiac, food intolerances, even nutritional deficiencies.

marineparkmom

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 2:32 pm
Underlying medical issues should always be checked for and treated including sleep issues and seasonal allergies

amother
Oldlace

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 3:21 pm
amother Bluebonnet wrote:
Gitty Zelcer at Optimal Care

Thank you

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 5:11 pm
amother OP wrote:

My son had extreme tantrum behaviors, anxiety , crying etc etc he constantly had strept with developed into pandas. Does it kid have lots of strept?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 5:13 pm
Not strep as far as I know. Just lots of anxiety, separation issues, Crazy tantrums, hot and cold personality, etc.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics