Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Child Leashes
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sat, Aug 23 2008, 9:26 pm
What are your thoughts on those leashes for children? I always thought they were horrible but with our impending trip to a large amusement park, I'm thinking about getting one. There is no way my one and a half year old will sit in her stroller the whole time and this seems like the easiest way of holding on to her.

octopus

Post Sat, Aug 23 2008, 9:40 pm
well, first of all they are called baby harnesses.

That sounds better than a leash.

amother

Post Sat, Aug 23 2008, 9:49 pm
ok. So what do you think of baby harnesses?

Fox

Post Sat, Aug 23 2008, 9:52 pm
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....leash

octopus

Post Sat, Aug 23 2008, 9:56 pm
I did not read through the thread that fox posted.

With that being said, I will give my opinion.

You have to know your kid. While I can understand your hesitation to use one (it's a glorified leash), but if you know you are going to a highly crowded area, with a kid that likes to run away, then you have to do whatever it takes to protect you and your child.

mimivan

Post Sat, Aug 23 2008, 9:58 pm
They certainly wouldn't fly here in Israel...but I think if you really feel you need one, you should go for it. If you feel it is considered generally socially acceptable where you are, I'd try it..Your child's safety comes first...

Ever since my 2 year old left his playpen and runs all around the house breaking things, climbing, and getting into trouble, I so understand parents who use a harness on occasion, but I would probably be stoned if I tried to walk around my neighborhood with one. I hope they invent things to deal with toddlers around the house during difficult moments...what is a playpen, after all, but a kind of cage??

I'm all for letting kids run around and explore but I know that at times they get so wild it gets hard to keep tabs on them..

Mimisinger

Post Sat, Aug 23 2008, 10:01 pm
I actually bought one (those who don't have a child like mine will never understand). However, don't think this is a lifesaver. For me, it just meant a) running after my child all day, but at least this time I knew where he was at all times or b) holding onto him like a dog, which I didn't like.

I don't use mine. I maybe used it once or twice. Bad idea. I once used it at Target - everyone was staring and he was at the perfect height to pull everything off the shelf.

Now, I either hold him, put him in the stroller, if that doesn't work, go home, or don't go to start with. It's just too hard.

Mimisinger

Post Sat, Aug 23 2008, 10:02 pm
Oh, and dangerous. My ds is the type to run into the street (like he did on Friday) without a care in the world.

Pineapple

Post Sat, Aug 23 2008, 10:18 pm
I heard they became illegal

GAMZu

Post Sat, Aug 23 2008, 10:24 pm
Pineapple wrote:
I heard they became illegal
Whaaat? That can't be. Confused

I got one last year because my son who was just over 1 year old loved to walk but hated to hold hands or the stroller. We got a cute one that is in the form of an animal that looks like it's hugging/hanging onto the child's back, and I'm holding the tail.

(My 3 year old was plain old jealous. He insisted on wearing it in the park and running around while I hold it. Talk about embarrassing. embarrassed Wink)

amother

Post Sat, Aug 23 2008, 10:27 pm
GAMZu where did u get it from?

Pineapple

Post Sat, Aug 23 2008, 10:28 pm
Gamzu I'm just saying what I heard. I will try to find out more information

GAMZu

Post Sat, Aug 23 2008, 10:31 pm
Pineapple, I know you didn't make it up. Wink I'm just confused as to how the govt. can be so meddling into people's lives. What

Amother, I think it was Target.

Pineapple

Post Sat, Aug 23 2008, 10:32 pm
I think the reason is because it looks to much like a dog leash

Mimisinger

Post Sat, Aug 23 2008, 10:38 pm
I got the bear one (It's like a koala on the child's back, the tail is the "leash") at Target. They still sell them. I doubt they're illegal. Maybe the ones that are just on the hand?

GAMZu

Post Sat, Aug 23 2008, 10:40 pm
Here is the link to the one I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Safety-H.....ba_18

Apparently, they have manufactured so many more styles since last year shock They used to only have the monkey and dog, but if I'd be buying now I'd go for either
http://www.amazon.com/2-Harnes.....njs_5
or
http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Bug.....ba_15

Look through their similar items down the page. SO many cute ones!! Very Happy

Lady Godiva

Post Sat, Aug 23 2008, 11:18 pm
I'd never be able to put my child on a leash shock .

GAMZu

Post Sat, Aug 23 2008, 11:36 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:
I'd never be able to put my child on a leash shock .
Well, sometimes it's either that, or losing them in a busy amusement park or airport, or having them run into the street.

Do you not tie your children up when they're in a stroller? This is the same thing, except they're tied to you and not to a stroller. In fact, it's much kinder to allow a child who wants to walk freely, to do so.

Marion

Post Sun, Aug 24 2008, 2:41 am
mimivan wrote:
They certainly wouldn't fly here in Israel...but I think if you really feel you need one, you should go for it. If you feel it is considered generally socially acceptable where you are, I'd try it..Your child's safety comes first...

You know what? I bought one last time I was in Toronto for use in the airport/TM. Getting off the plane at Ben Gurion I had 3 people stop me and ask me where I got it. It WOULD fly here in Israel!

That said, the only time I use it is for the airport. He's very good at holding hand/stroller at the mall now.

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Aug 24 2008, 10:55 am
I've never seen those "stuffed animal" ones before--they're really cute!
I have seen people use leashes/harnesses in public places like shopping malls and airports and I used to always tell myself how much I hate it, etc. But now that I have a toddler who LOVES to explore things "by himself" I could completely see myself buying one to use in a place like an airport or if we're in a situation where we can't use a stroller in a crowded, busy place. It's definitely a matter of safety.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics