Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Child Leashes
Previous  1  2

BusyBeeMommy

Post Sun, Aug 24 2008, 1:26 pm
Same here. I always used to hate them and say that I woul NEVER get that for my child. Well, I wasn't a parent yet, so what did I know? When we went to a hotel on pesach, DD was 13 months and getting into e/t and she had no concept of holding hands. It was either keeping her miserable in her stroller all day or letting her run and explore safely. I figured I would let her be happy yet also keep her safe.

Now I realize that there's really nothing wrong w/ it. esp. if you have a very rambunctious kid that likes to run around a lot. Because either you give them the freedom to run or keep them couped up in a stroller all day.

realeez

Post Sun, Aug 24 2008, 7:16 pm
GAMZu wrote:
Pineapple wrote:
I heard they became illegal
Whaaat? That can't be. Confused

I got one last year because my son who was just over 1 year old loved to walk but hated to hold hands or the stroller. We got a cute one that is in the form of an animal that looks like it's hugging/hanging onto the child's back, and I'm holding the tail.

(My 3 year old was plain old jealous. He insisted on wearing it in the park and running around while I hold it. Talk about embarrassing. embarrassed Wink)

We got those for our Disney trip and my kids thought it was the equivalent to the baby carrier I "wore" dd in! Now, they play "Fire Doggy" with it where they are the fireman and dd is the "Fire Doggy." We got it right after ds bolted from dh at the mall and we were planning a big trip. Buckling kids in the stroller is way more restrictive then these. My kids held my hand while in it and felt free but we had the extra security of it.

greenfire

Post Sun, Aug 24 2008, 7:29 pm
I want the horsey ... or the cow ... if dd was still little she would want the monkey ... Nervous

yeah they look odd but would rather hang on to the kid ...

however they are NOT safe for crossing a street !!! the child must be held at a much closer grip so as not to get near a moving vehicle !!!

Tommy

Post Sun, Aug 24 2008, 7:49 pm
I dont think that I would ever attach my children to a harness! If I felt like I cannot handle watching my child at an amusement park I would take another adult along with me! I would feel to much like a zoo-keeper if I attached my child to one!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Aug 28 2008, 4:03 pm
Tommy wrote:
I dont think that I would ever attach my children to a harness! If I felt like I cannot handle watching my child at an amusement park I would take another adult along with me! I would feel to much like a zoo-keeper if I attached my child to one!

You can't always have someone else with you!
After my daughter played a crazy trick on me, I think I AM buying.
She asked me for water, and while I was serving her she ran like crazy towards the water (that was in Venice). I didn't expect it so when I wanted to gave her her glass she was gone... and already just one meter from the water. I ran like crazy and caught her, but Exploding anger Twisted Evil Mad

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Aug 28 2008, 4:07 pm
GAMZu wrote:
Lady Godiva wrote:
I'd never be able to put my child on a leash shock .
Well, sometimes it's either that, or losing them in a busy amusement park or airport, or having them run into the street.

Do you not tie your children up when they're in a stroller? This is the same thing, except they're tied to you and not to a stroller. In fact, it's much kinder to allow a child who wants to walk freely, to do so.

I'd strap them in a stroller but the thought of a leash bothers me. It's like they think they're free but they're not. In a stroller they understand that they can't run around.

GAMZu

Post Thu, Aug 28 2008, 9:11 pm
Quote:
I'd strap them in a stroller but the thought of a leash bothers me. It's like they think they're free but they're not. In a stroller they understand that they can't run around.

So it's better to understand they can't run around AND not be able to run around? Or to have some freedom?

chaylizi

Post Thu, Aug 28 2008, 9:17 pm
I used one for my dd, who thought that the street was her private playground. people can think what they like about me, but I prefer my children alive. I don't have 3 sets of hands and eyes placed strategically around my head. oh & it also saved me bills from a psychiatrist for the nervous breakdown that I didn't have.

mama-star

Post Thu, Aug 28 2008, 10:02 pm
if I did not use a harness I would lose my 2 yr old, chas v'chalila.

I hate to use it and I feel like people are staring, but it truly keeps him safe.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 28 2008, 10:40 pm
OP here. I bought the harness shown on the link at target and brought with me to Dutch Wonderland just in case. Did not need to use it b'h because I don't think I would have felt comfortable using it, imagining that ppl would be looking at it negatively.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics