Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Just tell me what to do
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 4:37 pm
I've regained the 30 lbs I lost since the summer. I have lost and regained between 20-60 lbs over and over in the past 10 years.
I had lost 60 lbs and then had a surprise last pregnancy. I regained all of that weight between pregnancy and nursing and covid. My baby is almost 4 and I have lost and gained the same 20/30 lbs twice a year since. I'm so so so done.
I know all the diets out there, I've done it all, a lifetime of being obese gifts you a vast knowledge and experience of every weight loss method that exists. I've been to nutritionists and IE therapists, explored the emotional source of overeating. BTDT.
Unfortunately due to a health issue I am not a candidate for the shots. That would be awesome wouldn't it.
Here's the thing: my body hurts, I am winded doing stairs, my joints hurt, I am having gastric issues, I have a health issue that extra weight makes it worse (the literal weight not the unhealthy ness). I cannot give up on losing this weight but I also cannot start another diet (ya ya they all call them lifestyles) the cycle of hope, success, regain shame, depression it's killing me.
I need to do SOMETHING though. Can someone tell me what to do?
What can I do that can make a difference but not send me on this cycle/spiral?

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 4:48 pm
I find I’m my best at dieting when I work with a someone guiding me iit really doesn’t matter who (like it’s accountability) someone giving you a meal plan/weekly weigh ins and check ins telehealth or in person

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 5:08 pm
a nutritionist is very helpful and if your insurance pays for it, that's great

amother
Bone

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 5:25 pm
You need time most of all, to take care of yourself. Losing weight is very important self care but takes time. You should be working on 2 fronts. 1) one food related lifestyle change every 2 weeks and 2) doing tons of movement. Lifestyle changes could be no more soda one week and 2 weeks later, the only sweet you’ll indulge in is chocolate. 2 weeks later you can change to using olive or avocado oils only and 2 weeks later it can be drinking 2 cups of water every morning when you wake up. These should be long term changes, things you can sustain forever. But once you’re at your target weight you can indulge in what ever, once in a while. The movement also needs to be long term, everyone, heavy or not should be exercising regularly. It needs to be a mix, two days just walking briskly, two days of very sweaty cardio, and then a choice between Pilates/yoga/weight training 2 days a week.
One more thing that I think is significant is that everyone that I know that always does things briskly, and not slowly/ sluggishly is slim. I wonder if you started doing everything more briskly, if it would help too?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 5:27 pm
amother Bone wrote:
You need time most of all, to take care of yourself. Losing weight is very important self care but takes time. You should be working on 2 fronts. 1) one food related lifestyle change every 2 weeks and 2) doing tons of movement. Lifestyle changes could be no more soda one week and 2 weeks later, the only sweet you’ll indulge in is chocolate. 2 weeks later you can change to using olive or avocado oils only and 2 weeks later it can be drinking 2 cups of water every morning when you wake up. These should be long term changes, things you can sustain forever. But once you’re at your target weight you can indulge in what ever, once in a while. The movement also needs to be long term, everyone, heavy or not should be exercising regularly. It needs to be a mix, two days just walking briskly, two days of very sweaty cardio, and then a choice between Pilates/yoga/weight training 2 days a week.
One more thing that I think is significant is that everyone that I know that always does things briskly, and not slowly/ sluggishly is slim. I wonder if you started doing everything more briskly, if it would help too?

This sounds incredibly overwhelming.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 6:12 pm
Take out all sugar from your diet. Go minimal on the bread/rice/pasta. Works like a charm.

Boom. Just saved you $$$ in nutritional counseling. You're welcome 😊 🙏

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 6:26 pm
I've done it multiple times with various variations. It works until it doesn't. I havent been able to maintain such a lifestyle. I end up with extreme cravings and end up giving in eventually and regain it.
I could probably give everyone else nutrition advice.
I just want something to do. One thing to start with a doable thing that tells my mind and body we got this, you're doing something but it's not going to turn your life upside down until it's too hard that you quit.
I'm thinking James clear/atomic habits style

hodeez

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 6:31 pm
Increase your water intake and get the junk out of the house. That's already setting you up for success. Once you've done and sustained that go on to the next step of eating healthier meals

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 6:32 pm
If you want to go the atomic habits route then this is what I would do:

Clear your house of unhealthy food

Prep food the night before so it's easy to make good choices

Have someone you are accountable to

Get a pitcher that you could easily carry around with water in it

Get a walking partner

amother
Bone

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 6:32 pm
It takes time and effort to lose weight in a healthy way and keep it off, but these are not weight loss changes, they are lifestyle changes to stay healthy regardless of your weight. Everyone should limit sugar intake, everyone should exercise, everyone should drink water in abundance, this is a way to implement all that…I wish you all the best![list]

anonymous mom

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 6:34 pm
I learned a little bit about fat, here goes:

When you eat, your body converts your calories to be used for energy. If you consume more calories than needed, your body will store them in fat cells in case it is needed for energy in the future. As excess calories are stored in fat cells, the fat cells expand and you will see a change in your body shape (weight gain). Cells can only expand up onto a point, and then your body will create more fat cells to store more excess calories.

When you consume less calories than needed, your body will convert the calories (whatever form they're in) into energy. The fat cells will shrink and you will see a decrease in your body shape (weight loss).

Here's the catch:
Your fat cells can shrink back to normal but they can never go away. So if your body created extra fat cells in the past (then lost weight), they are sitting there empty and will very easily expand again if you eat the wrong things etc. That is why it's so hard to keep the weight down long term.

The only way to actually remove fat cells forever is with liposuction. Would you consider that? They can remove up to 12 lbs of fat cells. It doesn't sound like a lot, but that's a significant amount of fat cells that will never be able to expand again!

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 6:59 pm
anonymous mom wrote:
I learned a little bit about fat, here goes:

When you eat, your body converts your calories to be used for energy. If you consume more calories than needed, your body will store them in fat cells in case it is needed for energy in the future. As excess calories are stored in fat cells, the fat cells expand and you will see a change in your body shape (weight gain). Cells can only expand up onto a point, and then your body will create more fat cells to store more excess calories.

When you consume less calories than needed, your body will convert the calories (whatever form they're in) into energy. The fat cells will shrink and you will see a decrease in your body shape (weight loss).

Here's the catch:
Your fat cells can shrink back to normal but they can never go away. So if your body created extra fat cells in the past (then lost weight), they are sitting there empty and will very easily expand again if you eat the wrong things etc. That is why it's so hard to keep the weight down long term.

The only way to actually remove fat cells forever is with liposuction. Would you consider that? They can remove up to 12 lbs of fat cells. It doesn't sound like a lot, but that's a significant amount of fat cells that will never be able to expand again!

This makes so much sense. Its as if my body is waiting for me to screw up so it can fill its beloved fat cells again.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 7:01 pm
hodeez wrote:
Increase your water intake and get the junk out of the house. That's already setting you up for success. Once you've done and sustained that go on to the next step of eating healthier meals

I drink a lot of water.
What do you mean get the junk out of your house? My family needs to eat and they eat all kinds of food. Can you give me a more realistic version of this?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 7:04 pm
amother Magenta wrote:
If you want to go the atomic habits route then this is what I would do:

Clear your house of unhealthy food

Prep food the night before so it's easy to make good choices

Have someone you are accountable to

Get a pitcher that you could easily carry around with water in it

Get a walking partner

I drink a lot of water already.

I don't live alone so I can't clear my house of unhealthy foods

I don't want a walking partner, I prefer walking alone although a partner would be great for accountability.

Prepping food the night before is a good idea. I have the time to make food during the day but maybe having it prepped already will be more likely that I eat that as opposed to anything else.

Thanks.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 7:31 pm
Weight-loss surgery!!!
A close relative did it and lost a lot of weight. He wouldn't have been able to do it without the surgery. There's a reason why it was invented.
You'll still have to exercise and get good eating habits but it won't be as hard. The first 50 lbs are a breeze to lose(beside for post operation, thats tough!).

amother
Narcissus

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 7:35 pm
You have the answer
Look deep inside of you

machsheifa

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 7:44 pm
If money is not an object, Yossi Muller might be the best in the field. The only issue is you’d have to totally throw yourself into all aspects of his program, the reporting food, systematically dealing with challenges, changing approaches when needed, etc. Studying his podcast and online course and be willing to try anything medicinally or therapeutically that he recommends. If you want someone who’s very good that takes insurance, consider the dietitian group in boro park.

Imabubby60

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 7:54 pm
Concentrate on being healthy as opposed to losing weight: natural whole foods, minimally processed, healthy oils ie olive oil and avocado oil. Add to that walking daily and any other activity you enjoy and think long term.

BmoreBubby

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 2:36 pm
amother Denim wrote:
Weight-loss surgery!!!
A close relative did it and lost a lot of weight. He wouldn't have been able to do it without the surgery. There's a reason why it was invented.
You'll still have to exercise and get good eating habits but it won't be as hard. The first 50 lbs are a breeze to lose(beside for post operation, thats tough!).

Very risky. Know several people who did it and 2 years later they had gained it all back.

BmoreBubby

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 2:38 pm
Agree from experience .. .dieting doesn't work, only a total shift in attitude towards eating and exercise. I would suggest the Torah-based approach of Body & Soul or similar books.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise