Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Chalav yisrael milk and spoiling
1  2  3  Next

octopus

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 9:17 am
Why does the milk spoil so fast? It's super duper expensive. Are they not refrigerating it well? I just threw out two half gallons of skim milk! And skim milk has no fat- it should take a really long time for that to spoil! I just don't understand.

And don't get me started on the leben....

yo'ma

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 9:19 am
If you don't use it up quickly, put one in the freezer.

octopus

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 9:21 am
I opened these milks right away. And they tasted like they were going bad- both of them. I've had this for many years already, from a few different stores. It's the milk.

Raisin

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 9:25 am
happy2BaMommy wrote:
I opened these milks right away. And they tasted like they were going bad- both of them. I've had this for many years already, from a few different stores. It's the milk.

they're probably leaving them out too long in the heat while transporting them, or waiting to be shelved. Let the store know.

Helani

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 9:42 am
I also found different brands of cy milk spoil at different rates. New Square for some reason often goes bad before experation date. Moo Milk on the other hand lasted beyond expiration date a few times. Maybe it's a difference in pasteurization process? I get them all from the same store, which brings it in from Brooklyn in truck.

octopus

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 9:46 am
I never heard of moo milk. Only new square and golden flow.

OldYoung

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 9:51 am
And we get Lamers here, and the milk almost never spoils before the due date, and usually stays fresh a little while after. (I am having Reader's Write de ja vue. Rolling Eyes )

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 9:55 am
MOO - you shouldn't have to throw it out ... bring it back to the store !!!

another reason I hardly buy cholov yisroel ... and the one in my fridge now is probably spoiled as they most certainly do not last as long ... I guess they are not handled properly in transport ...

Helani

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 10:22 am
happy2BaMommy wrote:
I never heard of moo milk. Only new square and golden flow.

Moo Milk has beis din of crown heighs heksher. Since there is only one store in Boston, we get all brands.

octopus

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 10:28 am
OldYoung wrote:
(I am having Reader's Write de ja vue. Rolling Eyes

why? did someone actually write about this into the newspaper?

flowerpower

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 10:39 am
I buy the ones with the latest date and do not keep them on the refragerater door. They tend to spoil quickest there.

octopus

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 10:40 am
flowerpower wrote:
I buy the ones with the latest date and do not keep them on the refragerater door. They tend to spoil quickest there.

same here. still spoiled. Rolling Eyes

OldYoung

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 10:44 am
happy2BaMommy wrote:
OldYoung wrote:
(I am having Reader's Write de ja vue. Rolling Eyes

why? did someone actually write about this into the newspaper?

yeah and it was kvetched about and nitpicked for a few weeks.

mom21n2

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 11:05 am
I tried to go that route, but the milk ALWAYS spoiled. I'm sure it's the handling. We just don't buy it anymore. In fact, we rarely even by milk from any of the kosher stores because of the spoilage. I've also noticed a problem with a lot of the other dairy products, like Israeli-type cheeses which often come home with a green film on top. It's not only one store, so I guess it's the traveling that does it.

Rebshosh

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 11:11 am
Our milk spoils fast too, and I thought it was because of where we live. It was so hard for me to convince dh to keep cholov yisroel in the first place, and its getting harder to get him to stay that way because all the dairy products seem to spoil more easily and aren't as good quality as cholov akum. It is so frustrating!

amother

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 11:12 am
in lakewood theres also "Pride of the Farm", I think baltimore gets it too. It lasts way longer than golden flow and new square and is also cheaper.

MOE

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 11:20 am
my dh once told me that in regular milk there is a hormone or some kind of strand I forget what its called that is removed from the milk this hormone slows the ageing process of milk. chalav yisroel they dont remove that strand otherwise it would cost more money....my dh I think told me that the strand is suppose to help fight cancer or somthing like that ill have to ask him again.
thats why chalav yisrole milk goes bad faster then regualr milk.

octopus

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 11:21 am
but new square claims to be hormone free.

MOE

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 11:27 am
I think its a gene not a hormone im not sure...like humans have a gene that starts to tell the body when to start to shut down so does milk

abismommy

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 11:29 am
DID YOU KNOW: The stores are allowed to send back milk that is spoiled before the date to the distributor for a refund/exchange. So I bring back my spoiled milk! (And in the summer there is alot of it.) They told me to spill out the milk and bring in the containers. A little gross, but I do it all the time. At all the big kosher stores in BP.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen