Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Chalav yisrael milk and spoiling
Previous  1  2  3  Next

cdawnr

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 12:20 pm
This happened in NJ all teh time (New Square and Golden Flow) and it stopped me from buying it. I dont' have time to go returning milk every other day and bad milk reallly really bothers me, I just get really icked out.

Moved to Montreal and this has absolutely NOT been a problem. Therefore it is a brand thing and complaints should absolutely be made!

Rebshosh

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 1:03 pm
MOE wrote:
my dh once told me that in regular milk there is a hormone or some kind of strand I forget what its called that is removed from the milk this hormone slows the ageing process of milk. chalav yisroel they dont remove that strand otherwise it would cost more money....my dh I think told me that the strand is suppose to help fight cancer or somthing like that ill have to ask him again.
thats why chalav yisrole milk goes bad faster then regualr milk.

Then why is chalav yisroel milk so much more expensive?

yo'ma

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 1:09 pm
Rebshosh wrote:
MOE wrote:
my dh once told me that in regular milk there is a hormone or some kind of strand I forget what its called that is removed from the milk this hormone slows the ageing process of milk. chalav yisroel they dont remove that strand otherwise it would cost more money....my dh I think told me that the strand is suppose to help fight cancer or somthing like that ill have to ask him again.
thats why chalav yisrole milk goes bad faster then regualr milk.

Then why is chalav yisroel milk so much more expensive?

They pay for a mashgiach Question What

Rebshosh

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 1:10 pm
But if milk is OU-D or ChafK-D don't they pay for a mashgiach also?

octopus

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 1:11 pm
chalav yisrael milk is supervised from the time it is milked from the cows. Regular milk is only supervised in the factory.

Twizzlers

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 1:20 pm
I actually know people that only keep chalav yisroel for milk in the winter. in the summer they buy chalav stam cuz of the spoilage.
I've been having the same problem. what I found helps is that either I go to a big store where they constantly get fresh deliveries (as opposed to my tiny corner store that probably gets once a week) or I find out which day my corner store gets milk delivered and I will only buy it there that day. then I put it in the very back of my fridge and I raised my fridge to keep it reallly cold.
but something should really be done about this.

Atali

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 1:40 pm
I don't think that it is a proplem with CY but rather with the New York brands. Here in Baltimore we have Pride of the Farm which I have used past the expiration date and it is fine.

Clarissa

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 1:44 pm
I strongly recommend taking any milk that has spoiled before the date and returning it for money back. If the store is carelessly letting the crates of milk sit out, this will push them into taking better care of the milk. If it's a problem with their shipper, the problem will be addressed. I know it's a pain, but it's one way of letting the company know what's going on, so the situation will improve.

someoneoutthere

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 1:44 pm
There are certain chemicals put into milk during the processing (not sure which stage) which some hechsherim don't allow. Not quite sure why not. (this may be what takes out/kills off that gene that was talked about) So...certain companies spoil faster.

If you get spoild milk from the store, return it! otherwise, keep your milk at the back of the fridge.

as for hashgacha-the mashgichim for cholov yisroel are tmidiim, meaning they have to be there the ENTIRE time. As well, the hours for milking a cow are not exactly the most normal working hours. All that together with the length of time they have to be present=a lot more money.

Clarissa

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 1:46 pm
If the milk spoils faster because of the contents or process, wouldn't they have to adjust the "sell by" date accordingly? It still shouldn't go sour before expected.

goodheart

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 1:55 pm
I also have it all the time and its not fare that they get away with it .
something has to be done about this.
not everryone has the time to take back the spoiled milk
why should it be like that I have it all the time its so nerve recking

someoneoutthere

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 2:09 pm
Clarissa wrote:
If the milk spoils faster because of the contents or process, wouldn't they have to adjust the "sell by" date accordingly? It still shouldn't go sour before expected.

I agree, it shouldn't. From what I understood from the guy who explained it to me, not using that particular additive meant that it was more volatile and more prone to spoilage in less than perfect conditions. Dunno, we get (relatively) local CY milk and it rarely spoils before its 'best before' date.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 2:14 pm
If it's starting to go bad, but not there, make pancakes.

agh

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 10:03 pm
I agree with this thread..\ I am contantly throwing away cholov yisroel milk because it smells/tastes bad. I am now in the habit of ALWAYS smelling milk before pouring, bc it is very often spoiled. I have complained to my store owner countless times but he tells me it is only me complaining. It is brand new bottles before the expiary date that I am throwing away.

morahaviva

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 11:47 pm
All year I buy Cholov Yisrael milk. That is, all year except during the summer - I gave up! The milk is almost always spoiled within a day or two of purchase. Once it doesnt get above 70 degrees I will start buying it again.. I have no idea why the milk bought in the same store in the same refrigerator case lasts longer when it is not cholov yisrael!

Motek

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 12:04 pm
agh wrote:
I have complained to my store owner countless times but he tells me it is only me complaining.

Don't take that garbage from him and don't complain. Just keep on bringing it back with your receipt and don't discuss it. Just say, "I am returning this spoiled milk."

It's a shame when people don't return the milk because then nothing happens to improve the situation. The company MUST KNOW that you WON'T STAND FOR SPOILED MILK and will keep on returning it. If enough people did this, there wouldn't be spoiled milk!

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 12:07 pm
It's definitely annoying. Non-cy milk lasts so much longer and smells so much fresher than cy milk. Dh wants to only buy cy milk (we're not cy) but lately it gets stinky so fast that we don't even go through a quart before throwing it out!

And don't get me started on the shredded cheeses that half the time are moldy when you buy them!

mom21n2

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 12:33 pm
Motek wrote:
[ The company MUST KNOW that you WON'T STAND FOR SPOILED MILK and will keep on returning it. If enough people did this, there wouldn't be spoiled milk!

I think they'll know when we stop buying it.

Clarissa

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 12:36 pm
mom21n2 wrote:
Motek wrote:
[ The company MUST KNOW that you WON'T STAND FOR SPOILED MILK and will keep on returning it. If enough people did this, there wouldn't be spoiled milk!

I think they'll know when we stop buying it.
No, because plenty of people will keep buying it. I think it makes a statement when you return it, and give the reason for the return. Then the storeowner will either evaluate their system for unloading and storing or, if it's not the fault of the store, will speak to the distributer about storage and shipping. Believe me, if enough people flag the problem, somebody will try to fix it.

Raisin

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 1:07 pm
Mimisinger wrote:

And don't get me started on the shredded cheeses that half the time are moldy when you buy them!

thats also mishandling by the store. If the bags are not handled carefully they get a hole in and start going mouldy.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen