Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Chalav yisrael milk and spoiling
Previous  1  2  3

octopus

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 1:35 pm
I love my chocolate leben(heavenly!). But I won't buy them in the summer. They are super-duper expensive, and in the warmer season they are all SPOILED!

mummy

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 9:04 pm
In the 2 and a half years that I have lived in NY I have had to return spoiled milk only once. New Square milk lasts up to a week for me.

Motek

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 9:46 pm
mummy wrote:
In the 2 and a half years that I have lived in NY I have had to return spoiled milk only once. New Square milk lasts up to a week for me.

Maybe those with more of a spoilage problem are not storing it properly at home - as some said, the door of the fridge is not a good place for it. And how many people leave a container of milk sitting out on the table for way too long ...

octopus

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 9:55 pm
Motek wrote:

Maybe those with more of a spoilage problem are not storing it properly at home - as some said, the door of the fridge is not a good place for it. And how many people leave a container of milk sitting out on the table for way too long ...

Well, it seems that a lot of us have a spoilage problem. And we are all not storing our milk improperly. Confused

gryp

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 12:35 am
Our milk goes bad pretty fast too. Definitely within a week, I've even stopped checking it to see if it's spoiled. Once it's been in the fridge too long I give up on it.
Sometimes it comes to the store already spoiled, and I just return it. The store doesn't even ask questions, they're very easy-going about it.

mummy

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 10:43 am
Is milk supposed to last longer than a week? Maybe I'm only used to chalav Yisroel.
I keep the milk in the door of the fridge and haven't had problems, but then again I don't expect milk to last for longer then a week.

egam

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 12:20 pm
According to best before dates it supposed to last more then a week. For me New Squire usually last longer then Best Moo. We get only New Squire and Golden Flow here anyway. I store it in the back of my fridge and try to buy it the day they deliver it to store. I never took back milk to store, but cheese and leben - I did plenty of times. And can somebody explain why best by dates are so different for NY and NJ on the same bottle? Do they think that we in NJ are fond of spoiled milk? We always go by NY date.

sunshine!

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 12:22 pm
We have Pride of the Farm milk here in Lkwd and I NEVER had a spoiled bottle experience!

TheBeinoni

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 12:32 pm
I live in Lakewood and I find that Pride of the Farm DOES spoil before its due date.
I never bought milk that was already spoiled but I find that they ALWAYS spoil before their due date (I always buy the latest date I can find) and I never keep milk out. I pour what I need and pop it back in the fridge quickly...

I guess these are the trials and tribulations of keeping a stricter level of kashrut. Confused

Clarissa

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 12:55 pm
Here's a suggestion: Complain at the store. They can talk to the distributor, as sometimes certain companies are lax about immediate refrigeration, and can leave cases sitting out for a long time. If the store is doing it (leaving cases sitting around and not unloaded into fridge) this is their wake-up. Write a letter to the company about your concerns. If it's something on their end, they need to be aware.

I recently got a really salty package of cheese, and I called the company. The explained what might have caused it. I called so that they might try to stay more on top of it, either on their end or at the distribution level. I also let the store know.

Lady Godiva

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 12:58 pm
The twice or three times that I bought Chalav Yisrael milk for strict guests the milk was indeed spoiled. I wonder why? Maybe it goes through more hands than regular milk??

yogajew

Post Thu, Aug 28 2008, 1:07 pm
We used to have a huge problem with spoiling until we completely stopped buying milk. There is only one store in town that cells it, and the milk usually went bad within a couple of days. Since switching to soy, almond, and rice milk my husband has been feeling much better and we save quite a lot of money.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen