Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Help, job resume what do I do?

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 3:01 pm
So I reached out to someone for a job, I’ve been a stay at home mom for the past few years, had a few jobs through out the years in clothing stores which I never liked, this opportunity for this job is something that I’ve always wanted but I don’t have a resume and the jobs I’ve done in the past were all short term and that can come off bad, but I was always treated poorly working in retail never had good bosses so don’t want to put them down if I had a resume, what do u do? I can offer so much and know I can do this job, I don’t want to loose my chances since I don’t have a normal resume.

amother
Dimgray

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 3:08 pm
Put down education, job experience, and skills. Don’t put down references, if they ask specifically for references you can brainstorm, put past coworkers or friends who can attest to your skills.

theoneandonly

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 3:47 pm
You can type all the details of things you've done, your skills, etc into chat gpt and ask it to write a resume for you. You'll still need to edit it after but it gives you a very strong base.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 3:49 pm
theoneandonly wrote:
You can type all the details of things you've done, your skills, etc into chat gpt and ask it to write a resume for you. You'll still need to edit it after but it gives you a very strong base.

I don’t recommend this, it’s usually easy to tell when it’s from chatgpt and employers don’t appreciate it

theoneandonly

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 3:53 pm
amother Hydrangea wrote:
I don’t recommend this, it’s usually easy to tell when it’s from chatgpt and employers don’t appreciate it

I did say that she should edit it after and not just submit that as her resume. But if she's completely lost it's a good starting point.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 3:58 pm
OP just google regular resume template so you can get an idea of how the setup should go

Start with your name, number and email at the top of the page

Underneath put a small blurb about yourself, 2-4 sentences. “I am a motivated, dedicated worker who is able to multitask and works well under pressure” Etc etc that type of thing just to highlight some skills about yourself

Then move on the education, if you don’t have formal higher education you should skip (don’t put where you went to sem or high school. Only mention college or certification programs)

Next is work history. Since it’s such a large gap and you said short term jobs, I would not put in dates. Put the name of the company and your job title. Then write what your key responsibilities were, especially ones that are that are transferable to the job you are applying for. The best way to format this section is with bullet points, it’s proven to be more effective

At the bottom you can have a section for any specific skills you have, like programs you can use (Microsoft suite? Excel is very impressive if you know it well)

I write on my resume, as many others do, “references available upon request “. It’s not common anymore to write down your references on the resume, to only give them when asked for specifically. Some ask for them, some dont

amother
Mintcream

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 4:05 pm
Just did a lot of job searching and interviewing recently. I didn't even write "references available on request" and I don't think it's standard to have that on your resume. If it came up that the interviewer wanted references, I emailed them the information after my interview.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics