Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kosher Salt I use says it doesn't have iodide

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 5:34 pm
I seem to remember that it is important to have iodide in one's diet, cant remember why. And I only use the diamond crystal kosher salt which I see says it doesn't have iodide.
Can anyone advise?

amother
Olive

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 5:35 pm
Seaweed has natural iodine, if that’s a regular part of your diet. If not, ask your doc if you should supplement.

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 5:36 pm
Correct. Kosher salt does not have additives.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 5:38 pm
thanks
I do eat sushi sometimes but not often, and also my kids probably need iodide too and they don't eat sushi. Just curious what other people do? Are there other brands of kosher salt that do have iodide? Or do people use table salt sometimes as well to try to take care of this?

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 5:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
thanks
I do eat sushi sometimes but not often, and also my kids probably need iodide too and they don't eat sushi. Just curious what other people do? Are there other brands of kosher salt that do have iodide? Or do people use table salt sometimes as well to try to take care of this?

edited I see ra mom said kosher salt does not have additives
From what I remember you are a good cook ra mom, what do you use?

cupcake123

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 5:39 pm
It's healthier that way

amother
Viola

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 5:40 pm
I think people who use kashering salt exclusively are a very small segment of the population. Most people use table salt unless a recipe calls for coarse salt.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 5:41 pm
amother Viola wrote:
I think people who use kashering salt exclusively are a very small segment of the population. Most people use table salt unless a recipe calls for coarse salt.
'

well then I guess I'm a small segment of the population

amother
OP

cupcake123 wrote:
It's healthier that way

what do you mean? what's healthier?

realtalk

Do you ever eat anything processed or at a restaurant? Most likely it has iodized salt in it.

If you aren't having any medical issues, there's nothing to suggest you're iodine deficient

cupcake123

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 5:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
what do you mean? what's healthier?

Without the added iodine. They strip all the salt and then add in stuff. When you get straight up salt it's purer and closer to the source.

amother
OP

realtalk wrote:
Do you ever eat anything processed or at a restaurant? Most likely it has iodized salt in it.

If you aren't having any medical issues, there's nothing to suggest you're iodine deficient

I guess once in a while but my kids not so often. Is once in a while good enough? My kids don't really like takeout so maybe I will buy table salt so they can get the iodide and use it once in a while

amother
OP

cupcake123 wrote:
Without the added iodine. They strip all the salt and then add in stuff. When you get straight up salt it's purer and closer to the source.

got it

realtalk

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 5:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
I guess once in a while but my kids not so often. Is once in a while good enough? My kids don't really like takeout so maybe I will buy table salt so they can get the iodide and use it once in a while

They dont ever eat chips, crackers, cereal, etc that's not home made?

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 5:46 pm
cupcake123 wrote:

That could be true but also getting iodide is still important.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 5:47 pm
realtalk wrote:
They dont ever eat chips, crackers, cereal, etc that's not home made?

aahh there you go that's my answer LOL

if that's enough

I guess I'll ask the dr

amother
Junglegreen

Post Sat, May 11 2024, 10:11 pm
Iodine is a critical nutrient, but you only need a tiny amount. If they're eating processed food. I'm sure they're getting plenty. Iodine deficiency is virtually unheard of in people who eat any processed foods.

Most of us are probably getting way too much artificial iodine. It causes thyroid problems.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, May 11 2024, 10:15 pm
I get the salt with the added iodine. I have an underactive thyroid and need it. I grew up with a parent and sibling with heart problems so we didn't add salt to our food. it's essential for health.

amother
Magenta

Post Sat, May 11 2024, 10:36 pm
I think natural sea salt has iodine and other healthy minerals. Why would it need to be added artificially ?

shanie5

Post Sat, May 11 2024, 11:39 pm
https://www.healthline.com/nut.....HDR_8

I just googled foods that contain iodine. Includes dairy and eggs (yolks) and tuna.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen