Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Mevaseret Tzion
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 8:03 am
Looking to make aliyah typical out of town frum family. Not yeshivish really, DH wears colored shirts, but also not modern at all in any way.
WOuld we fit into mevaseret?

Where else is good (we dont want RBS).

dreams

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 12:23 am
Following & bumping Very Happy

essie14

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 12:29 am
What about Maaleh Adumim?
Lots of other ideas here.
https://www.nbn.org.il/community-guide/

What are your requirements? Why did you choose Mevaseret?
I don't know anyone who lives there. I don't think there's a lot of Anglo religious people there, if any.

What does "not modern " mean to you?

Is Rechavia in your budget?
Do you have kids?
What kind of schools are you looking for?

salt

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 12:40 am
Mevarseret Tzion is a mixture of chiloni and dati.
There was a dati-leumi kollel there - maybe a garin torani. I don't know if it's still around.

Population is quite upper-class from what I understand (I'm talking about the secular families. Don't know about the religios community there).

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 12:50 am
Someone told me 10 years ago that Mevaseret Tzion is a retirement community. It wasn't meant to be that way, but it turned that way because of fewer young families (probably can't afford it).

salt

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 12:54 am
amother Lavender wrote:
Someone told me 10 years ago that Mevaseret Tzion is a retirement community. It wasn't meant to be that way, but it turned that way because of fewer young families (probably can't afford it).

I work with 2 men who live there. Both chiloni. Both married, in their 30's/40's with school age children.

I think there are several neighborhoods there. There's the old area, probably larger houses, older people, been there for years, and there are newer neighbourhoods, with apartments, which are cheaper, for younger families.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 12:55 am
Let us know what else you want other than not exactly yeshivish but not modern. Would you be considered RWMO/torani? Or Haredi lite? If you don't know the answer --would you hope that your sons would join the IDF, or hope that they would not?

What do you like about Mevaseret? Is it proximity to Jerusalem? If so, and if you are more torani, definitely consider the Gush. As someone else said, Maale Adumim may fit if you are Haredi lite OR torani. Mevo Horon would be a good fit for both Haredi lite and Torani.

If you like the asthetic look of Mevaseret, you can consider both Modiin and Charish (also spelled Harish), both are large and modern and would work for both communities.

Success10

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 12:58 am
Is the only thing standing between your family and a Chareidi community the colored shirts? Because that's easy enough to fix....

If he wears white shirts, Givat Zeev Hachadasha has a nice, chilled vibe. Maybe Telzstone (though I'm not sure if young American families are still moving there).

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 1:35 am
amother Lavender wrote:

Seeing as there are well over 25000 inhabitants, I would say this is definitely not true.
There are people and families of every age and stage of life. It is overall very vibrant community. Used to have one dingy mall. Now many more. Its growing, not dying.

Elfrida

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 2:41 am
amother OP wrote:
Looking to make aliyah typical out of town frum family. Not yeshivish really, DH wears colored shirts, but also not modern at all in any way.
WOuld we fit into mevaseret?

Where else is good (we dont want RBS).

You really need to define that in Israeli terms dor us to be able to help.

Mevaseret has a small dati community, which I think is mostly sfardi. It's vert expensive, possibly more so than Jerusalem. It's a very short commute, but doesn't have the intensity of Jerusalem.

Were you the poster who asked about Motza? Are you specifically looking to stay in the Jerusalem area? If so, look into Maale Adumim or Gush Etzion. If you can be flexible about location, Modiin might suit you.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 3:52 am
Success10 wrote:
Is the only thing standing between your family and a Chareidi community the colored shirts? Because that's easy enough to fix....

If he wears white shirts, Givat Zeev Hachadasha has a nice, chilled vibe. Maybe Telzstone (though I'm not sure if young American families are still moving there).

I mean, yes and no. DH wears colored shirts because it goes in line without hashkafah and I’m sure that switching to white won’t solve it because the community of white wearers is probably a lot to our right.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 3:53 am
Elfrida wrote:
You really need to define that in Israeli terms dor us to be able to help.

Mevaseret has a small dati community, which I think is mostly sfardi. It's vert expensive, possibly more so than Jerusalem. It's a very short commute, but doesn't have the intensity of Jerusalem.

Were you the poster who asked about Motza? Are you specifically looking to stay in the Jerusalem area? If so, look into Maale Adumim or Gush Etzion. If you can be flexible about location, Modiin might suit you.

So the issue is we can’t define in Israeli terms because we are not so much in one specific box.
Would love to be in Jerusalem. No I didn’t ask about Motza no idea what that even is.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 3:54 am
amother Lavender wrote:
Let us know what else you want other than not exactly yeshivish but not modern. Would you be considered RWMO/torani? Or Haredi lite? If you don't know the answer --would you hope that your sons would join the IDF, or hope that they would not?

What do you like about Mevaseret? Is it proximity to Jerusalem? If so, and if you are more torani, definitely consider the Gush. As someone else said, Maale Adumim may fit if you are Haredi lite OR torani. Mevo Horon would be a good fit for both Haredi lite and Torani.

If you like the asthetic look of Mevaseret, you can consider both Modiin and Charish (also spelled Harish), both are large and modern and would work for both communities.

We are definitely charedi. DH wears chasaidish levush on shabbos and davens at chassidish shteibel but is not chassidish in any other way.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 3:56 am
essie14 wrote:
What about Maaleh Adumim?
Lots of other ideas here.
https://www.nbn.org.il/community-guide/

What are your requirements? Why did you choose Mevaseret?
I don't know anyone who lives there. I don't think there's a lot of Anglo religious people there, if any.

What does "not modern " mean to you?

Is Rechavia in your budget?
Do you have kids?
What kind of schools are you looking for?

Tell me about maaleh adumim. The nbn website doesn’t actually tell me about the specific community for anglos who are moving.

Yes have kids ages 12-2, definitely Bais Yaakov schools but not very very strict

grace413

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 4:19 am
I live in Maale Adumim. The religious community is mostly DL/Torani with a small Charedi community. Not really any Chassidish community but if your DH wants to wear Chassidish levush and daven in any of the shuls nobody will blink. There are Torani schools, not specifically Beis Yaacov but further right than Torani. Plenty of English speakers.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 4:29 am
RBS is honestly your best bet in finding schools that align with your hashkafa.
If not that then you should check out Rechovot, Ramot, Afula, Mispeh Yericho.

You need to decide between modern charadi schools, knows as ממ"ח. They are charadi but are part of misrad hachinuch, and so more working charadim. Or, dati leumi torani / chardal.

salt

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 4:34 am
amother NeonGreen wrote:

You need to decide between modern charadi schools, knows as ממ"ח. They are charadi but are part of misrad hachinuch, and so more working charadim. Or, dati leumi torani / chardal.

Or Jerusalem.

Doesn't sound like you'd fit into Mevaseret, although I'm sure you'd be welcomed. Just might feel a little different.

Success10

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 4:44 am
amother OP wrote:
I mean, yes and no. DH wears colored shirts because it goes in line without hashkafah and I’m sure that switching to white won’t solve it because the community of white wearers is probably a lot to our right.

Depends where. Any of the schools you would want your kids in probably would only accept you if your dh wears white. Outside of a few nuances of conformity, they can have a more chilled student body. Rechovot is a good example. Very OOT.

essie14

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 4:46 am
What about Jerusalem schools? Doesn't American Chareidi exist there?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 5:13 am
amother NeonGreen wrote:

What are the real differences between Mamach and real charedi?

And what’s chardal?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions