Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
What types of charts work best?

Yehudis2

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 6:58 am
Hi everyone,

I think I am ready for charts for my kids . I have an almost 5 year old boy , and a 3 and half year old girl.

With both, I am having a couple of issues that I want to strengthen.
With the 5 year old, it is dressing, brushing teeth and being quiet in bed before falling asleep, and working on talking respectfully and being gentle.
With the 3.5 year old who is very strong willed and still unreasonable alot of times, , it is also dressing , brushing teeth and being quiet in bed before falling asleep, ie not getting silly and working on listening (ie NOT IGNORING) to mommy straight away.

Now, obviously, I am working on middos and on routine issues. CAn I work on both at the same time?
My oldest is very logical and a chart will work great for him. My daughter is more tricky. I can see her defaulting often due to her willfulness and immaturity. like how do you work it when the negative happens, ie - she won't brush her teeth or she doesn't get dressed when you ask her, whats the conditions that are simple enough that a 3 year old can stick too?

Also how long and what do you use to keep them motivated and interested.

I used to promise them cocoa in the morning as an incentive to get them dressed quickly but it seems to be losing its power. We also moved recently to a double storey townhouse and this has become an issue with bedtimes, If I want to go downstairs to clear up the kitchen, I find I am constantly going upstairs to resettle them and its very frustrating.

Please can you tell me what worked for and what didn't !!

Thanks,
Yehudis2

PIP

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 3:48 pm
When you do a chart, make sure you give them a prize after 3 or even 2 points. Kids needs to see that they really have something to look forward to, if they have to wait too long, they lose interest. and a week is a real long time for little kids!
Good Luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers