Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Is this normal for a 6 year old?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 9:39 pm
Hi, so I'm going to ask this here, because it's too awkward to ask anywhere else in real life...
At what age was your child ok wiping himself in the bathroom?
My son is 6 and still asks for me every time.
Until now I thought he will naturally "grow into it", but at this point I try to bring it up to him and he gets really upset.
He's my oldest, so calling on someone with experience to please guide me!
Thanks!

wanttobehappy

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 9:40 pm
Def by 6.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 9:40 pm
My 6yo also needs me to wipe him. He knows how but he doesn't like getting his hands dirty and he just gives a quick wipe and says done.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 11:21 pm
My 6 year old still asks me to wipe him. I bring it up here and there with him, but he says he's not ready yet. Eventually he'll learn. I'm not worried

amother
Peach

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 11:28 pm
My six year old just started doing it himself with my encouragement.
At first he didnt want to but once I decided he was old enough I told him he needs to wipe once and then I'll come and finish. We did that for a few weeks and then slowly he stopped calling me.
I wont say that its always perfect but he takes a bath at the end of the day...

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 11:31 pm
Yikes. 6 is old
3 yr old is learning how. By 4, he better be able to himself

amother
Starflower

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 11:32 pm
We did similar to PP, I showed them how to wipe at around 5 and then every so often would say wipe yourself and I'll come check after. It was definitely a fight for the first few weeks because they're too nervous and don't want to get dirty but eventually they all did it and after a while stopped calling me to check. By 6 all my kids (so far) were wiping themselves but not far before 6, probably within 6 months before turning 6

amother
DarkViolet

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 11:39 pm
6 is normal. Let’s be real 3 and 4 year olds don’t have the skills and smell and have dirty underwear with no help. By 5 they are capable to fully do alone but many kids are not emotionally ready. I don’t push it I help if they ask.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 1:00 am
Thanks so much to all the responses!
I feel much better now.
He is very mature in other ways.
He's a very clean kid and is nervous to get dirty and that he won't do it right.
I have no problem doing it for him. Just wanted to make sure it's ok.
Sounds like it is... I'll give him some more time and bring it up in 2 months....

amother
Winterberry

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 1:16 am
My son learned at 8, my daughter at 5.
My son doesn’t have such great fine motor skills.
You really need a lot of coordination to do it.
Pediatrician said parents tell her till 8 they help with wiping.
Don’t stress

amother
Lightblue

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 2:18 am
My (just turned) eight year old still asks me to “check” after wiping on their own.

patzer

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 7:05 am
What do these non-wiping children do in school?
At the school where I work, teachers aren't allowed to wipe the children, even in kindergarten (age 4).

amother
Starflower

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 7:09 am
patzer wrote:
What do these non-wiping children do in school?
At the school where I work, teachers aren't allowed to wipe the children, even in kindergarten (age 4).

My more particular kids don't make BM in school

amother
Sand

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 7:37 am
My 6 Yr old (F) can wipe herself but until 5.5 wanted me to check for reassurance. Now she likes company in the bathroom so often asks for help but then when I ask her she confesses she gets bored on her own and likes someone to talk to Heart

I taught her to do a "check wipe" at the end, she uses way too much tissue but it is a learning process. She loves the idea of a check wipe.

Other things to do are make sure they are eating enough fibre as this makes their BM easy to pass and wipe.

6 is still learning, it takes as long as it takes. Better he should ask for help than not manage.

amother
Yolk

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 7:45 am
He may not naturally grow into it until he hits puberty. But it's your choice when you decide to stop. It sounds like he has anxiety so maybe address the anxiety. I really like this book, it has shown me a completely different way to look at childhood anxiety. It's called Breaking free of childhood anxiety and OCD. Good luck. My kid was also like this and at some point I just said no and we had lots of v tantrums but I'm the end I felt relieved.

amother
Obsidian

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 7:50 am
My nearly 6 year old was still calling us to wipe to we told her she needs to wipe first and then we'll do it to check. It's been working well--she's getting the confidence to do it herself and not calling us nearly as much anymore.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 7:53 am
Imo this is a skill that needs to be taught. Not necessarily will grow into it. Teach him and let him try. Say that you can still come to check him and help if needed, but he needs to try himself first.
I make sure my kids can wipe themselves by 5.

amother
Yolk

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:02 am
amother Obsidian wrote:
My nearly 6 year old was still calling us to wipe to we told her she needs to wipe first and then we'll do it to check. It's been working well--she's getting the confidence to do it herself and not calling us nearly as much anymore.

Reading your post, I just remembered that I did the same thing at first. It made it easier to transition.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics