Home
Log in / Sign Up
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Help! First timer camp agudah
1  2  Next



Post new topic   Reply to topic View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother
OP


 

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 1:29 pm
My son in 8th grade will be going to camp agudah for the first time. (First time to a sleep away camp)
Please help me get ready for this. Share things that I would need to buy, links would be most appreciated.
(I never went away for the summer growing up, so this is all new to me)
Back to top

amother
Apple


 

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 1:40 pm
Do you mean which clothes are the boys wearing or in general what items he’ll need for camp?
For everyday sports:
Pants- most boys just wear Adidas tiros
Tshirts- Nike, Abercrombie, or just plain colored thin cotton ones. Doesn’t have to be anything fancy.
Sneakers- he’ll need two pairs
For davening:
White shirt (most boys change after davening, so they can wear the same shirt for several days)
Davening jacket
For pajamas:
Most boys just sleep in sports shorts with an undershirt or tshirt. He should have a few long sleeve and hoodies for when the weather is colder
For showering:
A mesh shower caddy (Amazon has good ones) big enough to carry their toiletries to and from the shower
Shower slippers
Large towels to wrap around himself after showers or swim (My boys don’t really use their bathrobes, but some boys do)
A big plastic tote box that has a cover filled with food/nosh. Some common items many boys bring are cereals, noodle soups, snacks, chocolate, pickles…also drinks he likes like Snapple or soda. Water he can either bring or you can order from camp before camp starts and it’ll be delivered to his bunkhouse on the first day.
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 2:20 pm
Wow! thanks this is great.
What about storage? I hear some bring plastic draws? Can u link it if u know.
And what should we do with bedding?
Mattress?
Back to top

amother
Jean


 

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 2:28 pm
Apples list is excellent!

The white shirt the boys keep in shul on their chair and put it over their tshirts when they come in, then take it off and back on the chair before they leave - definitely a few days use if not more.

Boys use the 3 drawer bins for storage.
Linen - I send the patterned quilts with 2 pillows and a sheet. I just think it’s easier than having him change quilts…. So far he hasn’t complained and has been there a few years already.
Back to top

amother
Apple


 

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 2:31 pm
Yes, most boys bring plastic drawers. My boys like the one that’s a little wider and taller-3 or 4 deeper drawers on bottom and 2 or 3 shallow drawers on top. Not sure that’s totally necessary, but most boys have some sort of drawers. They are also given a few shelves per boy, how many depends on which bunkhouse and how many boys are in his bunk. They also have shared hanging space for their suits/Shabbos shirts in the back of the bunkhouse.
He should bring one set of linen already with the blanket and pillow inside the cases and a second set for when he changes the linen. Lots of boys bring the egg crate type mattress toppers, makes the beds more comfortable, but that’s up to you and him. He really should bring a clip on fan, he’ll attach it to his bed. They don’t run the air conditions all the time, and it can be pretty hot! Some boys bring clip on Shabbos lamps, it’s nice, but not a must at all.
Is he going to be going in the bus or will you be dropping him off? If you’re going to bring him, you can just put the linen in a big garbage bag and he’ll carry it in. Same for the drawers. Not sure how that works if he is going on the bus, sorry we haven’t done that. After they unpack, the luggage is stored away until they are ready to go home.
Feel free to ask any other questions you have Smile
Back to top

amother
RosePink


 

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 2:37 pm
Sounds like a huge undertaking to pack up kids for camp. My children never went to overnight camp. We had Day camps by us.
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 2:39 pm
Thank you!! This is really a big help!!!
I was getting so overwhelmed not knowing what to do.
Back to top

amother
Apple


 

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 2:40 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
Sounds like a huge undertaking to pack up kids for camp. My children never went to overnight camp. We had Day camps by us.

Yes, the first time especially! After the first year they have at least some things that they can use year after year, and once you know what they need you can get it over time and not in one big rush right before they leave, so it does get easier!
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 2:52 pm
One more question, what’s the laundry situation there? Do the boys do it themselves? I need to get a hamper?
Back to top

amother
Cherry


 

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 3:08 pm
amother Apple wrote:
Do you mean which clothes are the boys wearing or in general what items he’ll need for camp?
For everyday sports:
Pants- most boys just wear Adidas tiros
Tshirts- Nike, Abercrombie, or just plain colored thin cotton ones. Doesn’t have to be anything fancy.
Sneakers- he’ll need two pairs
For davening:
White shirt (most boys change after davening, so they can wear the same shirt for several days)
Davening jacket
For pajamas:
Most boys just sleep in sports shorts with an undershirt or tshirt. He should have a few long sleeve and hoodies for when the weather is colder
For showering:
A mesh shower caddy (Amazon has good ones) big enough to carry their toiletries to and from the shower
Shower slippers
Large towels to wrap around himself after showers or swim (My boys don’t really use their bathrobes, but some boys do)
A big plastic tote box that has a cover filled with food/nosh. Some common items many boys bring are cereals, noodle soups, snacks, chocolate, pickles…also drinks he likes like Snapple or soda. Water he can either bring or you can order from camp before camp starts and it’ll be delivered to his bunkhouse on the first day.

My son is also first time going to Aguda, but he's staff! Can you please post the link to the shower caddy? And if it doesn't hijack the thread, can anyone please post things that would be helpful to know for staff?
Back to top

amother
Apple


 

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 3:23 pm
No, they send out the laundry. The boys keep it in laundry bags.
Label everything-the boys often have the same exact stuff.
Also, just remembered, but he can also bring his own glove, cleats etc if he has. Not necessary to buy if he doesn’t !
Back to top

amother
Apple


 

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 3:27 pm
amother Cherry wrote:
My son is also first time going to Aguda, but he's staff! Can you please post the link to the shower caddy? And if it doesn't hijack the thread, can anyone please post things that would be helpful to know for staff?

I’m sorry, I don’t know how to post a v link, but if you go in Amazon look up “mesh shower caddy” or “mesh shower caddy for dorm”.
Not sure what would be helpful for a staff member to know, but happy to answer any questions that I know the answers to;).
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 3:36 pm
I can’t thank you enough!!
Any label recommendations?
Back to top

amother
Apple


 

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 3:40 pm
Easiest I’ve found is to order a stamp, easier even than the stick on labels. I ordered both from Freund’s Family Shop in Brooklyn. I stamp most things. (I personally don’t label underwear, if it gets lost, it gets lost.)
Back to top

amother
Jean


 

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 3:46 pm
I stamp or get a sticker label from label land. They’re great!

Laundry - each boy gets and gives in his own laundry bag. The whole bunks laundry isn’t mixed together which I like.
Back to top

amother
Currant


 

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 3:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
I can’t thank you enough!!
Any label recommendations?


I use name bubbles ! They have some cool boyish options
Back to top

amother
Cornsilk


 

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 3:51 pm
We get these labels for anything that’s dark. I do white background and navy font. Last name and phone number and I use the same for all my kids but if you have a common last name you might want a first name or initial.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P.....ss_tl

This stamp, maybe there’s better, this was ok not the best
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08N.....ss_tl

Caddy
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N.....ss_tl
I pack with all the toiletries inside, wrap it in garbage bags tied tight in case soemthing spills and tell my kids not to bring home any toiletries that could spill on the way back like shampoo, mouthwash…

I don’t have a link for a the clip on fan but I send an extension cord and a plug expander with it in case there aren’t enough outlets and they’re not close enough for the cord to reach.
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 4:19 pm
Is this ok? Will it fit in the bunk house?
https://a.co/d/fOPdBVL
Back to top

amother
Jean


 

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 4:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is this ok? Will it fit in the bunk house?
https://a.co/d/fOPdBVL


I showed it to my son To ask him about the size. I buy the 3 drawer bins in Walmart/target. My son said it will fit - it will go wherever there is room.
He did say though that you don’t want clear drawers. Everyone doesn’t need to see what’s inside Smile
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 7:44 pm
Thanks, the ones u buy are smaller?
Back to top
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics




Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Please link for teen - camp pillow and duvet
by amother
5 Yesterday at 10:34 pm View last post
How much did you pay rent the first year you got married and
by yo'ma
111 Yesterday at 9:57 pm View last post
ISO Cute camp bag for my daughter - links please!
by amother
1 Yesterday at 8:59 pm View last post
Pants for camp (agudah)
by evi
1 Yesterday at 8:26 pm View last post
Can I put dough in the fridge after first rise?
by amother
8 Yesterday at 6:31 pm View last post